Athlon XPô 2800 vs Pentium4 2.8 !

If 2 server having a same RAM , HDD ,and 1 use Pentium 4 2.8 G hz ( No hyperthreading ) , 1 use Athlon XPô 2800 what CPU will give me a better apache and mysql speed ?
    Thank you for any of your comment .

Athlon XPô 2800 does not mean it's 2.8GHz.

So Pentium 4 2.8Ghz would be faster than Athlon XPô 2800.

Originally posted by Darktwist

More mhz does not mean faster/better performance

I know that a real clock of Xp2800 is not as 2800 but someone said it still faster than a p4 2.8 . is it right ?

For a production server I would always choose Intel.

Quite a lot of it these days comes down to personal preference however.
    Robin Balen
    Gyron Internet Ltd - http://gyron.net/
    UK colocation, managed hosting and connectivity services with 100% uptime SLAs

Originally posted by robinbalen
    For a production server I would always choose Intel.

Quite a lot of it these days comes down to personal preference however.
    Considering that the only difference between a Server version ( Athlon MP ) and an desktop version ( Athlon XP ) is a the surface mounted bridge I would say it doesn't matter between a P4 or Athlon XP. The biggest performance gain to be had out of these 2 Procs no matter what you choose will be your disk I/O system. Apache and Mysql really benefit from I/O that is quality. SiS, which make chipsets for both, though its hard to find a server quality SiS Based Motherboard for Athlon, makes top noch IDE subsystem if your going for cheap onboard I/O solution.

This isn't true. The PR rating AMD uses for their CPUs is a fairly accurate portrayal of their speed compared to the Pentium 4. Think of it like a highway; an AMD is a really wide and short highway while the Pentium 4 is long and thin. Both process the same amount, just differently. AMD does more work per clock at a lower frequency.

If the AMD server is significantly cheaper, I would go with the AMD. If not, go Intel; customers prefer their name.

same old thing - do a search - this has been beat to death - the bottom line is that they are about the same. amd's naming convention seems to follow the speed of the p4 it resembles.
    Dedicated Servers
    WWW.NETDEPOT.COM
    Since 2000

Originally posted by 2uantuM
    This isn't true. The PR rating AMD uses for their CPUs is a fairly accurate portrayal of their speed compared to the Pentium 4.
    Did you see my post about the "Athlon Pro 3100+". I'm never trusting "ratings" again. I do know that 1 amd Ggz is more punch than 1 p4 Ghz, so I'll factor that into my judgements, but to hell with "ratings". Too bad intel may pull that crap too.

ok, the althon pro 3100 thing needs to die now. That is NOT, i repeat, NOT an official AMD "model" This is a marketing gimick by ECS apparently, or maybe someone else reselling ecs and trying to market these as so.

A TRUE athlon XP 3000+ is roughly on par w/ a 3ghz p4. The 800mhz p4 edge out tho, and win significantly in applications such as video encoding. As for server environment, it seems the disk subsystem would be the first thing to look at.

and the rating system is something you will have to learn to like.. if you thought amd's naming scheme was weird (for AMD64/Opteron), just wait for Intel... what's coming up seems like it will confuse people even more.

I know intel is stable and alway is the best for server . But i just hear or read a lot of thing like " AMD is beatting Intel " or AMD is faster than intel at same CPU speed , AMD is better Intel in some kind of work , etc . So i just wonder , Are there anybody using AMD ? and is it REALLY better than Intel at SPEED ?
    In this topic , i mentioned about 2 server at SAME price , RAM , HDD , but 1 is intel 2.8 and 1 is AMD XP 2.8 . I am in need of speed but i do not have much money , so i just hope may be AMD will give me a little faster with a same price .
    I dont know much about server , but i'v use both AMD and INTEL PC , with 512m ram ,same kind of HDD , a althon XP 2400 faster than a pentium4 2.4G quite alot .

I have desktops with a 2.6 P4 and a XP 2500 with about the same components and I notice more pep with the Athlon.

MHZ does not always mean faster. Even Intel admits this with their Pentium M mobile processors. Shortly they are getting out of the MHZ naming scheme. http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,115297,00.asp

All you need to do is look at benchmarks if you want to compare AMD vs Intel, but mind you, 64-bit processors should not be compared to 32-bit processors.
    [AIM]: BhAaD99 :: [ICQ]: 79048062 :: [MSN/eMail]: [email protected]

I have an XP2800 and ive noticed its about the same if not quicker then my p4 2.8 i use for games.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Originally posted by justbenice
    I know intel is stable and alway is the best for server . But i just hear or read a lot of thing like " AMD is beatting Intel " or AMD is faster than intel at same CPU speed , AMD is better Intel in some kind of work , etc . So i just wonder , Are there anybody using AMD ?
    yes, I use it on every server/computer I own or I built.

and is it REALLY better than Intel at SPEED ?
    At the same price - AMD will be faster than Intel in almost every case.

regards,
    M.