Which content management system for Independent Software Vendor
I will be soon launching a new web site for my single person software business. I need help about finding a good content management system.
The site should :
- Allow users to download software ( for all visitors or a selected group of users )
- Have an impressive and simplistic start page ( see http://www.activestate.com/ )
- Host flash movies
- Shall be customizable so that it doesn't look like a regular postnuke site
- Be able to run surveys ( I would prefer if I could visually design surveys since I am not a forms/cgi/php/etc programmer )
- Have a very clean menu system ( maybe also with sub menus )
- Allow visitors to order software via secure forms or buy software immediately
I would appreciate any hints about content managements systems which can help me with the requirements above.
Brad Baker www.rochen.com Rochen - True Premium Shared & Reseller Hosting since 2000 Better Support: Expert support 24/7 from Red Hat and Cisco Certified Engineers Joomla! Core Team MemberJoomla Tutorials
I am not sure if plone is the best CMS but it looks pretty difficult to install for me.
For example I wanted to check the requirements and the doc tells me to read the Zope requirements document :
"Plone 1 needs CMF 1.3 (currently 1.3.3) and Plone 2 needs CMF 1.4 (currently 1.4.3). See CMFCore/doc/REQUIREMENTS.txt, too."
This looks like a chain reaction. I guess ( I am not sure ) Plone seems to have too many dependencies Zope and Zope CMF. I would prefer a single software package rather and a single documentation and a single community.
There are several great commercial CMS solutions that will meet your requirements - however, if you are looking for Open Source ones...
1) Mambo - simply one of the best - combination of functionality and ease of use
2) TYPO3 - Excellent product - probably the most feature filled OS CMS available - however, difficult to install and not overly user friendly
3) Nuke - personally - I dont like this one - but - has a large following, so worth mentioning - wont bother listing the reasons I dont like it - Its just not a good fit for me - very feature rich though - and can be customized somewhat..