Thread: VPN Server?

VPN Server?

Hello.

I've never touched VPN servers before, so it may be a silly qustion...
    I want to run a VPN server from my home PC just as a test.

I'm not sure how to do it? Home PC uses Windows XP.
    Its just so i can give an example to someone about VPNs.

So the question is, can i run a VPN server?
    Do i REALLY need a VPN enabled router?

My DSL just comes into my internal pci dsl card.

Regards,
    Thomas Currie
    Europhase UK Limited - XEN/OpenVZ UK/US Virtual Private Servers | R1Soft Backups for Web Hosts
    Custom R1Soft Backups | UK/US Web Hosting | UK/US Virtual Private Servers
    99.9% Uptime SLA | Non Overloaded Service | Guaranteed Ram / Resources
    Company: SC345142 VAT: GB-947754180 Tel: 0870 4710 895

Windows XP has built in remote access. That is a VPN sever. It is called VNC. You can also disable the poor version built in and download the full version RealVNC for free. http://realvnc.com/

Unfortuantly VNC is an unencrypted VPN...

You should run it though a Secure encrypted VPN... download OpenSSH for windows or *nix based systems... and putty for windows clients.. that way you can route your remote connection securely.

Running it is easy...

You pretty much just need a static IP for the machine that you will dial into. Doesn't have to be static, just eaiseir since you have to know the IP address you are calling when you connect.

I published an artical on how to do it on my site:

www.avitar.net

Originally posted by Avitar
    Windows XP has built in remote access. That is a VPN sever. It is called VNC. You can also disable the poor version built in and download the full version RealVNC for free. http://realvnc.com/

Unfortuantly VNC is an unencrypted VPN...

You should run it though a Secure encrypted VPN... download OpenSSH for windows or *nix based systems... and putty for windows clients.. that way you can route your remote connection securely.

Running it is easy...

You pretty much just need a static IP for the machine that you will dial into. Doesn't have to be static, just eaiseir since you have to know the IP address you are calling when you connect.

I published an artical on how to do it on my site:

www.avitar.net
    VNC isn't eventually the same as VPN. VNC is for remote control precedures when you need GUI (related to Windows, mostly).
    VPN is when you route the entire traffic of a network/host into encrypted, or un-encrypted tunnel. Mostly used to connect remote networks together.

Here's a good start on setting up VPN server - http://www.dellroad.org/mpd/index

regards,
    M.