Existing client wants his own dedicated server

I think he's being really optimistic, but he currently hosts with me under my basic plan (200MB/4GB). He's anticipating a move to a dedicated server because his company (an entertainment company promoting local acts and stuff for clubs) is looking to offer video downloads, pictures, and other intensive stuff.

He tells me he's looking for 40GB of space AND 500GB of bandwidth along with an average speed of 1.5Mb/s of bandwidth.
    I hate to lose him, but business is business.

Are his specs reasonable?

whats he willing to pay

What is he willing to pay ? get another server if needed and set him up with the package hes requesting so long as its profitable. when you get up to the 500 GBS a month you need atleast $90 a month that will cover half the costs of the other server if its a decent setup and then you have another 500 GBs plus to sell off, I would myself charge atleast $100 because you'll also need to allocate half the resources as well.

Seems ok to me. You can use hostquote to companies quotes for you
    Server4Sale
    Dirt CHEAP Servers coming soon

The most important thing about business is customer satisfaction. If it means saying Goodbye to a customer because he wants to move up because of their changing needs, do it.

His specification looks reasonable.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

Originally posted by eddy2099
    The most important thing about business is customer satisfaction. If it means saying Goodbye to a customer because he wants to move up because of their changing needs, do it.

His specification looks reasonable.
    yep i have no problems. Im actually helping him locate a dedicated server.

kubicle,

does he have any experience admining servers? if not offer him a management plan, that way you keep him as a customer
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Originally posted by thelinuxguy
    kubicle,

does he have any experience admining servers? if not offer him a management plan, that way you keep him as a customer
    the guy has no experience administering servers. he's actually the webmaster for his one client and found me as a host. he told his client that he will need a dedicated box, hence, the client listened and now they're shopping. the funny thing is, i spoke with this guy and he seems cool. he's going to refer more ppl my way! so i didnt really lose much in the end. I wished him luck and we'll be doing business again soon.

BTW ... what really bothered me is that he's looking at a celeron server for this client of his. he found something like a celeron 1.7 with 512MB of ram. I dont know, maybe he's asking for trouble.

Video streaming and downloads are not CPU intensive so a Celeron is fine for that but it depends on what are the other 'intensive stuff' that he would be running which may scare me.

Recommend that he gets at least a P4 to be on the safe side. But if he still wants a Celeron then it is his decision. As long as you advise him, he cannot blame you.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions