Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone ever paid for advertising?

If so, where did you advertise and was it successful? This question is mainly for web hosts

I would bet at least 95% of the webhosts here have at one point or another. I use Overture and Adwords right now, and I have tried a lot of the others (market bank, popups, banners, premium directory listings, as well as some other ones). Most success I have had is with Adwords, I manage to only pay 5-10 dollars for a client. You need to be really careful with your spending, don’t spend all your money in one place. Adwords and Overture can get expensive fast if you are not careful. If something does not work for you, try something else. I have not done any advertising locally so I cannot comment on that.
    Web Hosting: BlueCapacity.com
    Image Hosting: iownjoo.com
    AIM: bluecapacity | Email: Webmaster at bluecapacity.com

I use AdWords with no success whatsoever, the additional fees being tacked on seem like more of a scam than anything else. The most effective means of advertising seems to come from paid banner placements on several targeted sites.
    Webmaster Forum • webmastertalk.net • Webmaster Community Forum
    Website Tools • domainfocus.com • Webmaster Tools | IP Lookup | Domain Whois | PageRank Checker | HTTP Header Info | Link Analysis | Favicon Generator

I used adwords with great success. however the bill Can rack up very quickly so choose wisely.

In fact, I suggest budgeting low costs per day instead of high costs... And spread out your advertising, so if one place doesnt work, you have another option to choose.

best luck

Used the following with mild success Google Adwords, Overture PPC, FindWhat PPC, GoClick PPC. In our experience the ROI wasn't enough to make it worthwhile.

Advertising is like hosting. There is only the advertising that is best for you.

We've had good success with hosting directories. And then, we've had good and bad on the same sites with different banners.

It's really some trial and error to find what works for you.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

I would prefer to host banners with other non-related sites to find people who need hosting as mine are free.
    then draw people who are interested in the services to sign up. After that find advertisers who are interested in targeting that internet services market who have relevent content.

That way I act like a filter -- those that are interested in hosting, email and stuff in general sign up and then gets sick of their free account signs up with a commercial web host ( most likely the ones that are hosting banners with me as they are constantly streamed to their sites. )
    Instead of the commercial web hosting companies going around the place and what? hosting their banners up on sites that would just plainly ignore their ads....
    -=- GQ Hong -=-
    GalacNet WebMaster

I spend most of my advertsing budget tagerting my local area in various magazines, newspapers, and various locations via fliers. It has yielded far better results than internet based advertising which tended to cost more money with minimal results. Since I went the local route I knew what my target clients read and the places they went and was able to advertise accordingly.

nope

nope....

Yes thats if you are targetting the market locally....

Here in my country you will "die" trying to do that as the competition is THICK and the population is at only like 4 million....
    -=- GQ Hong -=-
    GalacNet WebMaster

I’m going to attack the local market with a decent pricing structure. Currently In my area I’m able to offer better network, servers and plans for almost 60% cheaper then the average host here. After I advertise locally ill move onto the internet advertising phase.

Personally when I use to run a gaming site I didn’t really pay for advertisements... it was sort of a cross promotion thing, like affiliates.

I will have to advertise on the net sooner or later, when I do I will most likely spend $200-300/month for advertising. That is if the local attack works… which I hope it does!

Kind regards,
    - Eddy
    Tired of jumping web hosting providers? Tired of OVERSELLING? Tired of Poor service/quality?
    Are you Finally realizing You Get What You Pay For In Life?
    If So...Please Visit ***** eServicesUnlimited***** - We Guarantee 100% Satisfaction we promise that!

Might be best for you to try out different forms of advertising and see what yields the best results for you're site. Just remember that you don't have to spend an arm and a leg for good advertising, sometimes creativity works just as well.

My advertising when I started out (and when I didn't have money to spend) was me walking around concerts with a t-shirt (with a web address on the back) I made from supplies obtained at a local art supply store.

Soon after I was obtaining a great deal of signups from people who saw me at events and local bands who needed hosting for their websites. All from a shirt that cost me no more than $10 to make .

Your advertising is the same as any other investment you make. Diversifying your budget is crucial inorder to see which one works for you. you will have to test various methods online, offline to see which one brings in the best ROI for you. Like you can read other user experiences for some1 Adwords did great while at the sametime did nothing for another, so when you are considering advertising spread your money online and offline. Dont lay all your eggs in one basket, in this case all you cash on one type of advertising. Hope you do well thanks
    "Web Hosting is not just about selling space, it is about facilitating customers needs with your plans and supporting the customer for a long lasting mutually beneficial relationship."- Yaser

I advertise in google adwords too and some web hosting directories hotspots too.

Google works, but do not try to compete against the big sharks or you will have a $1500 bill in the end of the month with no customers. Happened to me once, not 1500 but something big too. lol

- Andre

I've been with Adwords for 2.5 months and spend almost 3000 Euros. I hardly got back what I paid. I don't think its a good deal. I consider to stop using Adwords.

my god.... so much... I gave up after 1 month switched to OverTure and then gave up again
    These are too money draining... effective but too costly....
    -=- GQ Hong -=-
    GalacNet WebMaster

You will have to spend money to make money thats for sure
    "Web Hosting is not just about selling space, it is about facilitating customers needs with your plans and supporting the customer for a long lasting mutually beneficial relationship."- Yaser

Yes that I agree but you must spend min to earn max
    Well at least spend what is needed to obtain optimun results. Anything over that, would be a pure waste of resources.
    -=- GQ Hong -=-
    GalacNet WebMaster

Word on the streets is that to be successful with Adwords you need a market niche and an extremely targeted campaign.

(Thats what the guy in the alley told me after he stole my wallet and warned me to stop wearing his colors, so take it for what its worth.)

Any successful host spends a lot on ads... You can't expect to make
    it all back right away. Factor in the fact that hosting accounts are recurring.

Dan
    ---
    Dan Ushman
    Co-founder & CMO
    SingleHop, Inc.

We gave Google Ad Words a try, but it just felt like we were throwing our money away. We had a great promo, and a good ad. We spent around $200 and did not receive one signup. They then suspended our account due to the fact that our ads did not maintain a 0.5% clickthrough ratio. Sorry about that google.... Next time shall I click on my own ads to keep that number up?

Well I still advertise on Google Adwords but Like $0.10 per day
    Not every effective but well
    -=- GQ Hong -=-
    GalacNet WebMaster

$200 won't get you to much on google
    ---
    Dan Ushman
    Co-founder & CMO
    SingleHop, Inc.

But even if you advertise more... you may find your money dumped right into the ocean.....
    Its not effective because there are too many people that use Adsense and they know Web Host pays the most and competition is thick so they make a site related to web hosting and start clicking themselves....

I got an idea on this.....
    Hire 20 people and pay them $10 each per month to sit in front of their PCs at home to click on the Google Adsesnse Ads daily.... Each click on a Web Hosting company may amount up to $1 to $10 so.....

20people x 30days = 600
    600 clicks x $1 = $600
    600 clicks x$10 = $6000!!! ( a lot of advertiser money wasted... )

But recently Google Adsense is a little screwed.... I even had status on my Adsense recently with clicks but no cash at all!!! ( they have been removed from 95% of my sites and member's sites partially because of this )
    -=- GQ Hong -=-
    GalacNet WebMaster

Same goes for overture, to advertise in these busy search engines you will have to have a budget of atleast $1K as there is to much competiton and many sport clicks as well. Competitors do try to dry up your ad..so you will have to be v carefull. try SEs like www.looksmart.com they are not bad. thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast