Google Adsense - adding new sites

I have an adsense account with Google, can I add the code to a new domain without asking Google for permission?

I read the FAQ (duh) and it has a Yes answer to the question Can I show ads on more than one site? My problem is that I don't know if they mean a new page on existing site or adding a new domain.

Re: Google Adsense - adding new sites

Originally posted by kex
    I read the FAQ (duh) and it has a Yes answer to the question Can I show ads on more than one site? My problem is that I don't know if they mean a new page on existing site or adding a new domain. :blush:
    "More than one site" in the faq means just that -- more than one site, not more than one page on your original site. It's pretty clear in this faq answer ("any page in any site on which you want to display AdWords ads"):

https://www.google.com/adsense/faq#basics4
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

Thank you for a quick reply!

I thought so, but wasn't sure.

worked for me.

Im pretty sure you can, as I was approved for one site, and mostly get clicks from another, you should be fine as long as the site fits the TOS
    Excell Hosting
    Budget Hosting

doesn't that sort of undermine the point of them reviewing the site you orginally submitted?

Originally posted by iblive
    doesn't that sort of undermine the point of them reviewing the site you orginally submitted?
    No, because they review any additional sites as well. When you place the adsense code on a site and someone clicks on it, the source site is reported to them... when a new site is reported, it's queued for review.

It is still a bit strange IMHO... They could then very well allow any website in the system and close the account in a day or two if the website is not good enough. Also, did anyone place ads on a second website and (after a few days) was told not to put them on that new site anymore?

Originally posted by JayC
    No, because they review any additional sites as well. When you place the adsense code on a site and someone clicks on it, the source site is reported to them... when a new site is reported, it's queued for review.
    that is incorrect

once you get one site approved, you can use the code on any site that you own. of course if it turns out they dont like the site, they can ask you to remove it.
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!

i did find this to be interesting

Ad Placement
    Multiple ad units may be displayed on each Web site page, but no ad unit shall contain any advertisement in common with any other ad unit.
    Ads must not be displayed on any domain parking websites, pop-ups, pop-unders, error, registration, or "thank you" pages, or in any email.
    Ads may not be placed on pages published specifically for the purpose of showing ads, whether or not the page content is relevant.
    Elements on a page must not obscure any portion of the ads, and the ad colors must be such that the ad text and URL are visible.

Originally posted by LaurenStephens
    that is incorrect

once you get one site approved, you can use the code on any site that you own. of course if it turns out they dont like the site, they can ask you to remove it.
    I don't see how that means anything I posted is incorrect. It's exactly what I said, except I added that they will check the other sites. You can use the code on any site that you own, and if you do so they will know about it, and that site that will be queued for review. They will review it, and as you said if they "don't like it" they'll tell you to remove AdSense from it.

Re: Google Adsense - adding new sites

Originally posted by kex
    I have an adsense account with Google, can I add the code to a new domain without asking Google for permission?

I read the FAQ (duh) and it has a Yes answer to the question Can I show ads on more than one site? My problem is that I don't know if they mean a new page on existing site or adding a new domain.
    it says more than one SITE, not more than one page....

errrrr

Originally posted by JayC
    I don't see how that means anything I posted is incorrect. It's exactly what I said, except I added that they will check the other sites. You can use the code on any site that you own, and if you do so they will know about it, and that site that will be queued for review. They will review it, and as you said if they "don't like it" they'll tell you to remove AdSense from it.
    he asked if he could put it on any of his sites if he already has an account. you said no. that is incorrect.

edit - sorry i think i misread your post.... hmmmm

Ad Placement
    Multiple ad units may be displayed on each Web site page, but no ad unit shall contain any advertisement in common with any other ad unit.
    Funny... this means one can place more than a single "ads by google" block on a single page? I thought that wasn't allowed... hmm...

Originally posted by LaurenStephens
    he asked if he could put it on any of his sites if he already has an account. you said no. that is incorrect.

edit - sorry i think i misread your post.... hmmmm
    Yep... apparently you did.

Perhaps because it started out with the word "no." But that was in response to the question I'd quoted, not to the question that started this thread.

To clarify: once your first site is approved, you can put the adsense code on any site you own. But that doesn't get you around the the approval requirement, because if you do add the code to a new site they'll review that site as well. You might get away for a few days with running adsense on a site that wouldn't make the guidelines that way... but not for long.

The other point to note is that Google won't approve ads on domains that you clearly don't own, e.g. geocities.com is the most commonly declined domain. I don't know what it's like for ISP user's domains, e.g. isp.domain/~someone

Originally posted by crm911
    The other point to note is that Google won't approve ads on domains that you clearly don't own, e.g. geocities.com is the most commonly declined domain. I don't know what it's like for ISP user's domains, e.g. isp.domain/~someone
    Same thing. You have to own the domain name. And of course that's true both for the site you use when you apply and for any additional sites on which you later want to add the AdSense code.

ask google, they reply fast

Originally posted by ldcdc
    Funny... this means one can place more than a single "ads by google" block on a single page? I thought that wasn't allowed... hmm...
    Heh... yeah, that line has created a lot of confusion.

Google changed the AdSense TOS back in March, and added that line: "Multiple ad units may be displayed on each Web site page, but no ad unit shall contain any advertisement in common with any other ad unit."

Soon after that I asked them about it, and received an email reply that it's still not allowed -- essentially what they said was that because there's no way for a publisher to stop the second part of that from happening ("no ad unit shall contain any advertisement in common with any other ad unit"), you're still not allowed to use more than one ad unit. Similar responses have been reported by other AdSense publishers, and a similar statement has been made by Google's "unofficial representative" at another forum site.

So it appears that Google's policy on the matter hasn't changed, although that sentence in the "Standard Terms and Conditions" as currently posted could be interpreted as meaning that it has. Or that it will be, once they have the technical mechanism in place to assure that the same ads won't be shown in each ad unit.