This Partitioning OK?

Im about to buy a new server, Cpanel RHE 3 with two 200gb hard disks and dual 2.4 xeons, and was just wanted to confirm if this partitioning structure is ok..

HD 1:
    Partition 3: /var/log (50GB)
    Partition 2: /tmp (10GB)
    Partition 1: all other directories except /home (140GB)

HD 2:
    /home (200GB)

50 GB for logs and 10 GB for temp? That's a lot of wasted space.
    Jim Reardon - jim/amusive.com

well.. what else am i going to use it for? as far as I am aware cpanel wont let you have two /home directories?

You can also have it setup as RAID0 and get one drive of 400gigs. If you can get a 3rd drive in their, you can get RAID5 which will also give you 400gigs usuable with fault tollerance
    Biznesshosting, Inc. DBA VOLICO - Intelligent Hosting Solutions
    East Coast Enterprise Dedicated Servers and Miami Colocation.
    managed and unmanaged dedicated servers. High bandwidth colocation. Managed clusters.

ok great, thanks for the info on RAID

Cpanel supports (I believe) having /home and, say, /home2. Put accounts on /home for a while then switch over to using /home2.

I think.

Or get RAID0. Or, instead of wasting your space, offer some redundancy using RAID1

My recommendation is RAID5 over 1 .. 1 is two hardrives and you utilize 50% of the space... RAID5, uses (space of drive)X(number of drives - 1)

So if you have 8harddrives of 200gigs each, in raid5, you will have 7x200= 1400gigs usuable and still have the redundancy. Note.... RAID1 is also redundant but wastefull.

We use RAID5 + HOT SPARE on our servers.... so lets say you have 4x200gigs drives (400gig usuable)... in RAID5 + HOT SPARE... you can lose one drive and the hotspare takes over and then lose another drive.... so essentially you have a 2 drive fault tollerant system... Then, simply pop bad drives out, new in, and the RAID will rebuild...
    Biznesshosting, Inc. DBA VOLICO - Intelligent Hosting Solutions
    East Coast Enterprise Dedicated Servers and Miami Colocation.
    managed and unmanaged dedicated servers. High bandwidth colocation. Managed clusters.

Im going to get RAID 0 and have it like this..

Partition: /var/log (9GB)
    Partition: /tmp (1GB)
    Partition: /home (370GB)
    Partition: all other directories except /home (20GB)

that ok?

Originally posted by bizness
    My recommendation is RAID5 over 1 .. 1 is two hardrives and you utilize 50% of the space... RAID5, uses (space of drive)X(number of drives - 1)

So if you have 8harddrives of 200gigs each, in raid5, you will have 7x200= 1400gigs usuable and still have the redundancy. Note.... RAID1 is also redundant but wastefull.

We use RAID5 + HOT SPARE on our servers.... so lets say you have 4x200gigs drives (400gig usuable)... in RAID5 + HOT SPARE... you can lose one drive and the hotspare takes over and then lose another drive.... so essentially you have a 2 drive fault tollerant system... Then, simply pop bad drives out, new in, and the RAID will rebuild...
    RAID5 only works on 3+ drives from what I've read.

Also, RAID5 significantly degrades write performances. On standard webhosting I guess that's not a problem, but often it can create more load than the reliability is worth.

Now that is a problem. The larger hard drives get, the more problems end users have with them. One of the first ones is how to partition them, and the second largest - what to use all that space for I doubt you will ever use 25% of all that space unless you'll be using it as a server to store some downloadable files. Just makes no sense really getting such huge drives IMO unless you really have a use for them. Do you?

yup, i certainly do. I have a few sites to host on it including my very large photo gallery

Hi, I would have something like:

/ - 10GB
    /boot - 50MB
    /tmp - 2GB
    /var - 2GB
    /home - 100GB

Then simply use LVM which upon no space in say /tmp or /var LVM will add more space (You need to configure it to do this)

And then for your secondry hard drive, have concurrent backups

Regards

DislexiK
    "You donít learn to hack, you hack to learn"