Thread: mslaugh.exe

I have a friend who was having computer problems with his laptop, he asked me to reinstall win 2000 for him.  He gave me his laptop and I ran a virus check on it and it came up with one virus, so i removed that and everything seems to be working fine.  I actually used his computer for a few hours to see if it would do anything out of the ordinary.

Seems to be working fine, so i give it back to him and we use it to go over some work I was doing for him, again seems to be fine.  Last night I get a call that it is giving some kind of error with mslaugh.exe and shutting down.  It does that too fast for him to catch the exact error.

Does anyone have any ideas or should I just reformat and reinstall.

Are laptops any different than desktops when reinstalling? I doubt it but I figured I would ask

Derrick - High Quality Reseller/ Multiple Domain Hosting.

Toronto, ON
    seeing as how formatting / installing takes 35 minutes, it isn't that long of a chore.. and no, it's the same to install on a laptop.. I don't know what would give you that idea
    I specialize in neck beards
    Latest: Reach for Android

I figured it was exactly the same, but since I never reformatted a laptop I figured I would ask. Better safe than sorry.

NY, NY
    Process File: mslaugh or mslaugh.exe
    Process Name: Windows automation
    Description: Added to the system as a result of as a result of the BLASTER.E WORM that exploits the DCOM Rcomputer vulnerability using TCP port 135. The worm targets only Windows 2000 and Windows XP computers.
    Company: N/A
    System Process: No
    Security Risk ( Virus/Trojan/Worm/Adware/Spyware ): Yes
    Common Errors: N/A
    Do this..
    boot into safe mode..
    press F8 while booting and select "safe mode"
    Now search for mslaugh.exe and delete it.
    Also search registry for it..
    start -> run -> regedit -> edit -> find

Nothing but, net
    Run on his computer and then clean/delete what it finds.

It is a very good tool.

We had several instances of MSLaugh, the best way to get rid of it is to try and install AVG, that kills it pretty quickly.
    If he can't get into it that well, tell him to get in there, go into the command prompt as fast as possible, and type "shutdown -a" this will stop it from shutting down.
    The infected file will be

If he can get to the administration prompt, to remove it he'll be clean sailing.

Thanks for the information guys, the guy is currently out of town but i am going to put that info to good use when he comes back.