anyone have a tutorial for root acces for dedicated server

Hi,
    im going to be getting a dedicated server, and i just need to know the basics of root access, like how to create folders, copy and move files... if someone knows of any tutorials like this.. please let me kknow.. thx alot

Matt

Re: anyone have a tutorial for root acces for dedicated server

Originally posted by flpstr2002
    Hi,
    im going to be getting a dedicated server, and i just need to know the basics of root access, like how to create folders, copy and move files... if someone knows of any tutorials like this.. please let me kknow.. thx alot

Matt
    I am going to try not to come off as rude, but if you seriously need this kind of information, you are already way over your head and don't need to be getting a dedicated server.

I would strongly consider getting a management company to manage the server for you. You can work with them (or through them) to learn how to manage the server on your own.

I would reccomend a group like rack911.com

Best of luck.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

well, the only thing i would be doing on the server is running q3 game servers, i know how to do that, i read up on it... only thing i need to know is those basic things

well, the only thing i would be doing on the server is running q3 game servers, i know how to do that, i read up on it... only thing i need to know is those basic things
    No, that's not the only thing you need to know.

How are you going to secure the server?
    What happens if you get rooted?
    What do you do to secure it from being an open relay?

Trust me, your in WAY over your head.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

those commands are fairly easy to learn.

i recommand you learn while you run your server, it's very fun!

a good start here --> http://www.hostinglife.com/start.php

Thank you Fuse

that really helps man.. thx alot!!!

Re: anyone have a tutorial for root acces for dedicated server

Hi,

Matt
    Createing folders, copying and moving files is not the basics of root access, it's the basics of SSH access. I would expect anyone who is running a dedicated server to be able to do this simply.

You should seriously look into a managed solution.