* $104.2 Million Painting

Picasso Sold for $104.2 Mln Is World's Most Expensive Painting

May 6 (Bloomberg) -- Pablo Picasso's 1905 ``Garcon a la Pipe'' became the world's most expensive artwork ever sold at auction last night when an anonymous bidder paid $104.2 million for the painting at Sotheby's Holdings Inc. in New York.

It also became the first painting to sell for more than $100 million, outstripping by $21.7 million the previous world record set in 1990 for Vincent van Gogh's ``Portrait of Dr. Gachet.'' Sotheby's wouldn't name the buyer, who placed bids through Warren Weitman Jr., the auctioneer's chairman of North America and South America.

The painting, depicting a young man in a blue workers suit holding a small black pipe, was the star of an auction of 34 paintings collected by financier and publisher John Hay Whitney, who died in 1982 at age 77, and his wife, Betsey Cushing Whitney, who died at age 89 in 1998. The total for the evening was $189.9 million, far exceeding the $131 million to $157.6 million estimate anticipated by Sotheby's.

``It's an immensely high price, but I'm not surprised,'' said Leslie Waddington, owner of London's Waddington Galleries, which sells Modern and contemporary art. ``There's a lot of money around.''
    Click on URL for complete article.

This is crazzy.
    * `*:. .:*` * ~ X-Max ~ * `*:. .:*` *
    I love Wikipedia.

I heard it on the radio this morning... The house it goes in will be probably cheaper then the painting. Mad!
    -- Matthew

Yup, just saw that on TV...

WHY WOULD SOMEONE PAY THIS MUCH FOR A PAININTGGG?!!

Gosh!

Probably because of it being a good investment maybe? If they sell in 10 - 20 years it could be twice, 5 times or 10 times the price.
    -- Matthew

I tought that was Bill Gates buying some wood for him camping trip...

Originally posted by Stormhosts
    Probably because of it being a good investment maybe? If they sell in 10 - 20 years it could be twice, 5 times or 10 times the price.
    1billion for a painting... erm, in a word: no.
    some wacko stupid rich person got this to impress his stupid rich friends. (hitchhikers guide book really brainwashed me)
    IWDN - Really smart web developers... and me!
    More than any time in history mankind faces a crossroads.
    One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness, the other to total extinction.
    Let us pray that we have the wisdom to choose correctly.

Who knows? It's just gone for 104.2 Mil now... who would have thought 20 years ago this would have sold for that much?
    -- Matthew

Originally posted by Stormhosts
    I heard it on the radio this morning... The house it goes in will be probably cheaper then the painting. Mad!

and probably the buyer's silk undies cost more than the artwork

This Indian beer tycoon buys up a sword for about quarter of a million $$s. Its kind of sheer waste of good money. The British ruled India and then took away a sword as a trophy and Indians buy it back by paying a fortune. Height of idiocy....the Brit who sold it must be laughing his *** off. lol

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/3609205.stm

Nuts. I wouldn't pay more than $80 mil for it. That's my final offer.