Thread: My Domain

My Domain

When I first got interested in developing web pages, I went through a hosting company on the web. The purchased my domain for me and set up a web account on their servers. Now, I would like to branch a little further. I bought a new computer specifically to load LINUX on it so I can use it as my own server. Now...how to I take charge of my specific domain name, and get it to point to my web server?

First set up your webserver and point your domain's nameservers to your webserver ips

Nick, can't you change that handle to USMC? Who is the registrar? Do you have access to the Control Panel? Do you have a broadband connection?

What your basically talking about doing is using URL Forwarding to your Linux Box at your house right? BTW, What Distro of Linux did you get?

First of all....NO the USAF sticks ;-) Second, I just installed the Redhat Fedora distribution. (Kernal 2.6). I have just recently started reading about LINUX, and installed it last night. Right now my web pages are hosted through an onling company named WAZOO WEB. They suck. Which is why I want to host them myself. Since I am relatively new to this I am not sure how to point my domain name to my computer. Also, something I got to thinking about... is this even possible without a dedicated IP address from my broadband provider to my machine? I have a dynamic IP address that periodically changes. Is there a way to work around this, or am I stuck? Thanks for the help/advise...

Just messing with you about the handle. I just left a Joint tour at USTC. If the domain has been with Wazoo for at least 60 days I would recommend transferring to somewhere else cheaper and one that offers Dynamic DNS. This will solve your changing IP issue.

OK, maybe I am a little slow here...
    - I have been with WAZOO (web hosting) for just over 14 months.

- My current domain was registered with them

- I want to start hosting my.com domain on my LINUX machine which is connected directly to my broadand connection

- The broadband connection does not have a static adress...it changes every couple days.

So, are you saying I need to find a ISP that offers a static IP address (I though that could be expensive)? Or am I missing your point (It really hurts my pride to have this explained to me by a Marine...LOL) ;-)

Thanks again

Ha Ha! No, what I was saying is that you may not have full control of DNS settings at Wazoo. Some registrars, like eNom, give Dynamic DNS as an option in the control panel. I asked about the time frame because you must wait 60 days before you transfer a domain away.

Your pride should be hurt. I'm old, crusty and not even a data dink.

DNS

Where is your DNS? Are you your own DNs server? You still need to have DNS resolving your domain name to IP.

could ask your hosting to point a sub domain of your domain to ur ISP

i'd say move to an ISP that supports static IP to be more usefull for you.
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi