Question Recieved a DoS threat, has this happened to you before?

Today via IRC we recieved a DoS threat on our server because the guy said our website was gay, lol......

Although we dont think he was serious we quickly blocked off his IP and havent heard anything since.

Has this ever happened to you before? Some people are just crazy or bored or something.....

Bub

Yes, all the time, its the nature of IRC hosting (if you're not hosting IRC I don't think its really necessary for you to maintain an IRC presence whatsoever ).

Best policy is to not respond and completely ignore the threat. If they actually attack you, deal with the attack and move on with life.

No we do not offer IRC hosting, to much of a risk. We do not have an IRC presence, on of our admins recieved the threat via his IRC...

I've been DoS'ed in a #perl chatroom I was a +o in for removing voice from someone who was swearing us out. I've been DoS'ed in the same room becase we wouldn't help someone set up the l33t p0rt5c4nn3r they downloaded (its written in perl, its on topic!!). Mmm. If its the first time you got threatened (not even follow through!) with ddos on irc, consider yourself quite lucky

Better not to have IRC hosting, presence or anything to with it But we can still be Dos'ed, some people have nothing better to do in life and same goes for some competitors.
    "Web Hosting is not just about selling space, it is about facilitating customers needs with your plans and supporting the customer for a long lasting mutually beneficial relationship."- Yaser

I idle in IRC networks all day long, it's important to know where you are. Don't venture into rooms, where you don't know anyone. And always call this command (//mode $me +ix) this will hide your ip which will prevent people from doing a /dns username
    Linux junkie | steward.io

Thanks for the command vigor, noted it down.
    "Web Hosting is not just about selling space, it is about facilitating customers needs with your plans and supporting the customer for a long lasting mutually beneficial relationship."- Yaser

Well I've gone through the whole 'irc threats' before - I have quite the irc 'hole' for the company I work for (christian radio/webcast) and we've had threats out the wazoo - basically IRC is dangerous because you have millions of script kiddies all pooled in one place. You know the routine - you were 12-14 once and bubhost is right now! (Mwhaha)

Anyways - theres really not much you can do about a ddos except pull the plug.

There is a lot you can do in preparation of one though - have the proper things in place to protect you, don't annoy people - thats #1.

Whatever you do - if they know who you are (or have any idea who you could be) you're already in a dangerous spot. Use shells to connect, having your home or office accounts syn-attacked isn't cute.

Anyways - just stay away is about the best thing you can do. Pull the stick out of whomever's butt is going to attract a ddos because it will ruin you.

You have to be fake - thats the way it works - because if you show your true colors someone is going to hate you.

Rule#1: Always lurk.
    Rule#2: don't forget rule #1.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

DDoS attacks aren't uncommon at all. We deal with them constantly and it's not always a direct attack on us. It could be customers on our box although rarely do they effect us. Sometimes a person is all talk but I believe with enough money it's possible to filter out DDoS attacks as our network has been stable for quite a while now.
    Nationhosts, LLC
    http://www.nationhosts.com
    "Nationwide hosting solutions"

Originally posted by vigor
    I idle in IRC networks all day long, it's important to know where you are. Don't venture into rooms, where you don't know anyone. And always call this command (//mode $me +ix) this will hide your ip which will prevent people from doing a /dns username
    Vigor is correct: This is will cloak your userhost on networks that support it. Also of note are that the major networks such as EFnet do not include such a feature. Ask your IRC network if they offer host cloaking or host masking.

EDIT: Also, if networks offer a vhost (virtual host) service, this can also effectively thwart attackers.

Originally posted by saminuske
    Vigor is correct: This is will cloak your userhost on networks that support it. Also of note are that the major networks such as EFnet do not include such a feature. Ask your IRC network if they offer host cloaking or host masking.

EDIT: Also, if networks offer a vhost (virtual host) service, this can also effectively thwart attackers.
    You mean ask them if they're willing to take the DDoS to their own servers instead of letting the clients deal with it