Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

* UK News: Jail for man who left bag with teddy bear in airport

Jail for man who left bag in airport

A plumber who left an unattended bag containing a teddy bear, some fruit and clothes in an airport lounge was jailed yesterday for causing a full-scale security alert.

Magistrates sentenced Jose da Silva, 25, to 10 days under public nuisance laws.

Da Silva was waiting for a flight home to Portugal last Sunday when he left the hold-all in a departure lounge while he went for a cigarette at Birmingham nternational airport.

The airport was closed for three hours and 1,000 passengers and staff had to leave as an Army bomb disposal team investigated. Three incoming flights were diverted and 15 planes grounded.

Speaking through an interpreter and in tears, da Silva, who pleaded not guilty to creating a public nuisance, told the court in Solihull that he had no intention of causing such a huge security operation.

But Howard Turner, the chairman of the bench, said while da Silva had not intended to cause the alert the offence was serious enough to warrant a prison sentence.

It is thought to be the first time a jail term has been passed for what was an unwitting, albeit costly, act.

A Birmingham airport spokesman said: "This was an example of the sort of thing that can happen and how it escalates very quickly.

"We take these things very seriously and this was a serious security issue. The sentence reflects that and we would reiterate the dangers of leaving luggage unattended."

If i was going to leave my briefcase somewhere in the airport.. i'd put it in the store with all the other bags and just walk out with an identical one. 50 pounds of c4 in a small container can take care of the wing.
    I specialize in neck beards
    Latest: Reach for Android

Some people take things way to far, and this is one of them. Now people cant leave their bag for a few seconds? (Though I wouldn't the stuff might get stolen). Though I dont see why he should be put in jail.
    I am back....

maybe hes being puit in jail for making those guys feel like morons. LOL
    I specialize in neck beards
    Latest: Reach for Android

Originally posted by mg-
    If i was going to leave my briefcase somewhere ....
    You might want to have a mod edit or remove that post. Homeland Security is actively scanning google and the net for just such posts... While not meant in the way they would take it, they will still track you down and investigate you. You'd be surprised just how fast posts from here get into google..

This is stupid!!!!!!!!!!!

The Dude

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

I am guessing the bag had the teddybear sticking out, this guy "Looked" suspicious to a bystander who saw him leave the bag and walk out.. Then the bystander over-reacted and made the situation what it was...
    Let Google know when your dead | Read More >>
    Submit Your Press Release, Article, or News Tip Today
    W3Reports - News for Webmasters

Leaving your baggage unattended is never a good thing to do though. When I am at an airport they are telling you NOT to do it several times when I am waiting around. It's just a standard thing NOT to do.

I think the problem security have is the question of how many bags are unattended before security is alerted. Of course just 1 bag can cause all this to happen.

Imagine if the bag was a bomb and they just ignored it? You all would soon be posting and criticising security for not responding.
    -- Matthew

He got what he deserved. And 10 days in jail is absolutely nothing, just do it and it's over with, then he can go home.
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right
    ██ Shared, Reseller and Dedicated web hosting
    An Easy Web Presence Company

Who knows perhaps this guy was "testing" the security in preparation for an attack by his crew/friends etc..?

A harsh sentence, but we can't have airports closed for three hours everytime something like this happens, and let's face it they have to take it serious (imagine if they didn't, the airport acted correctly ihmo), the emphasis is on the people now and only someone missing half a brain would leave his lugguage *delibrately* unattended, it's common knowledge, you get told at check-in, you get told over the intercom every 5 minutes, no excuse!
    MattF - Since the start..

i think the guy deserved it. He should have been sentenced for atleast 14 days for more public records. Though his name shouldn't have been disclosed.
    * ´¨`*:·. .·:*´¨` * ~ X-Max ~ * ´¨`*:·. .·:*´¨` *
    I love Wikipedia.

That's absolutely ridiculous, that's like getting sentenced for parking your car somewhere and it could contain a bomb.

I can imagine the security offers not letting the guy pass after he got his cigarettes and saying: stay the **** back there is something dangerous there. The guy in responing in Portugese: but but but my bag is still there ... security: what the hell you saying; get away ...

Originally posted by Eric Cartman
    That's absolutely ridiculous, that's like getting sentenced for parking your car somewhere and it could contain a bomb.

I can imagine the security offers not letting the guy pass after he got his cigarettes and saying: stay the **** back there is something dangerous there. The guy in responing in Portugese: but but but my bag is still there ... security: what the hell you saying; get away ...
    At the end of the day it is drilled in to people NOT to leave bags around at the airport. If a car is parked in a weird place like left outside the aitrport unattended then they do pick up on that.

If he followed simple rules then this would not have happened and it was in the public's best interest to act as they did.
    -- Matthew

what if a 10 year old girl drops her bag on the ground to get a drink of water? They going to arrest her?
    I am back....

Originally posted by Torith
    what if a 10 year old girl drops her bag on the ground to get a drink of water? They going to arrest her?

Probably put her in juvi for a week.

He shouldnt of been jailed,that's just wrong though he was stupid leaving a bag unattended.
    Shawn Auton
    Racked Hosting
    Web Hosting, Unmetered Dedicated Hosting and SHOUTcast Hosting

Originally posted by Torith
    Not in most countries since it would be her parents responsibility.

I agree that while a prison sentence is harsh what would of happened if it had been a real bomb and they hadn't evacuated everyone? Security has to be taken seriously as we all know that there are people out there who will be looking to plant bombs at airports, if some idiot can't look after their things properly, espiecally with all the warnings in airports, then they deservce what happens to them afterwards.
    Steve

I understand they are taking caution, but it isnt the guy's fault for them making a mistake. Side note in my airport we have no warning or what ever about lougage being left on the ground. There always is lougage on the ground.
    I am back....

What do you mean them making a mistake? How would they know it wasn't a bomb?

And what country are you from, because I would have to see most airports around here are very strict about luggage.
    Steve

Originally posted by Vortex-Steve
    If he was there waiting to board his plane, his bags would have already been scanned. If there was a bomb in it, it would have already been their screwup in the first place for not catching when he came in..

I just noticed I made some spelling mistakes again bah I need more sleep. (my day off and I get up early =/). I live in the USA. From what I see at my airport it isnt that stict yet, but could become later on.

What I mean by mistake is he didnt do anything wrong, but he gets jailed.

Originally posted by Vortex-Steve

And what country are you from, because I would have to see most airports around here are very strict about luggage.
    I am back....

I live in the USA. From what I see at my airport it isnt that stict yet, but could become later on.

What I mean by mistake is he didnt do anything wrong, but he gets jailed.
    I'm entering this thread late i know but i've got something to say.

Torith, USA? They aren't stiict on it now but might be later on?

You lot had September 11th, Tthe Atlanta Olmypics etc i don't see why checks aren't in place now. 1 bag of conventional explosives or chemical agent can be damaging enough.

Now we've not had a successful attack take place here in Britain yet luckily but there has been an issue with unattended bags for many years and the warnings or instructions for the public vary but post 9/11 it has become more important again.

At pretty much all of the Underground stations there is a sign telling you about unattended bags and at the ones in central London and at rush hour there will be an automated message over the PA system telling you to keep an eye out.

And last year after i returned from Spain on a flight i saw a bag that was left for more than 10 minutes i guess outside the Stansted Airport terminal building at the pick up and drop off point [near the end towards the Control Tower for those that know]; anyway someone with me told a member of security that we were talking to about it, he called it in and the police came out and checked it and tried to find the owner.

You just can't risk it...

Must be a difference in approach i guess but i really did think that kind of thing would be looked down upon in America post 9/11, especially with the press that Amrican airports get on queues and being heavy handed and such. Of course that is things i've heard and not actually experienced. ;(

Regarding this particular case, well a jail sentence is fairly harsh i agree but remember the Airport and all operations ceased for up to 3 hours and a bomb disposal unit was called. Something had to happen. Maybe a fine or community service might've been more justified but he was guilty of something.

A lot of it has to depend on whether someone attempted to claim this or any other bag in a similar event or not as to how it is dealth with i think.

Webdude, you say that but a Sudanese man flying from Washington DC arrived at Heathrow Airport in London with bullets in his pocket and they weren't discovered until he got here and went through a scanning device here.

Critic,
    The 9 words of life quote -
    "Act with honour, seek justice, die true, remembered well."
    GO LDN 2012 ~ AIM = Critic News Info

Ok, they guy accidentally left a bag unattended.
    The airport responded to the situation in the right way.
    However, he did not do anything physically wrong.
    Although it says "do not leave your bags unattended", its not a law/rule, its more of a precaution.

They got nothing on him.

Originally posted by ilyash
    They got nothing on him.
    They had to close the airport for three hours due to his actions and therefore had plenty on him under public nuisance laws.

Wow, that was harsh. Maybe 60 hrs of community service would've been better.

Wow, that was harsh. Maybe 60 hrs of community service would've been better.
    I agree, well nearly.

I would've given him some community service and a reasonable sized fine all things taken into account probably as yes he was guilty of causing a public nuisance. Jail is a tad harsh with some of the people that don't get a custodial sentence in thiscountry or a long enough one but i digress.

What's your view bagpuss/hycloud on this whole unattended bags issue that is also being discussed more generally in this thread. The differences between here [Britain] and other places [America or anywhere else post 9/11] i mean and how they look at it?

Critic,

Originally posted by bagpuss
    They had to close the airport for three hours due to his actions and therefore had plenty on him under public nuisance laws.
    It's not his fault.
    He did not call the bomb squad.. the airport did.
    They should have had more police officers around, so that they would have caught the guy before he walked out, and reminded him about the bag.

Originally posted by ilyash
    It's not his fault.
    They should have had more police officers around, so that they would have caught the guy before he walked out, and reminded him about the bag.
    I think a sense of self responsibility has to be taken into account here. Now call me odd but i wouldn't leave my bag in a crowded public place and walk off and leave it for 5 or 10 minutes. I'd be worried someone would steal it for one thing or something from it, not to mention the times we live in, would you leave your bag unattended?

Now most of us agree the punishment was a bit OTT but he was to blame for leaving it there, something that i would like to know is if after he left it and went outside and the area was sealed off if he then wnet back to try and reclaim the bag or not.

Granted, he didn't call for the army bomb disposal team but you can't actually be suggesting that the airport was at fault for doing that or are you ilyash?

Now i was not there but if the airport tried to find the owner of the bag without success, and that once it had all happened he did not try to reclaim it or go to the authorities and explain the situation, then he has something to answer for and deserves the community/financial sentence.

Critic,

Do you realise how big most airports are? Heathrow has 4 terminals (5 soon) and is the one of the busiest in the world, I find it hard to believe anyone would expect police to over see the thousands of people in the airport every second of the day.

What would you rather they did? Have someone go pick it up and take it to lost and found? There was no way to know it wasn't a bomb, if you want to volunteer to go pick up all the left bags then go ahead, but I think most people would chose the bomb squad option.
    Steve

I think a sense of self responsibility has to be taken into account here. Now call me odd but i wouldn't leave my bag in a crowded public place and walk off and leave it for 5 or 10 minutes. I'd be worried someone would steal it for one thing or something from it, not to mention the times we live in, would you leave your bag unattended?
    Exactly. Why would anyone ever leave their bag somewhere, unless you are very trusting, or very stupid. I can understand why people are saying it was harsh to send him to prison, especially with some people doing much worse going free, but he did do something very stupid which affected the others around him.
    Steve

lol, I've left my bag before unattended in an airport when I went to the toilet before...
    John Heslop

If he was dressed in coat and tie, would they still jail him? He was a plumber could have wore clothes that are just everyday casual.
    He who hates correction will die. --Proverbs 15:10
    Jeffrey's Cute Blog | My stockphotos and illustrations

Sucks to be him.

Lesson of the day: Don't leave belongings unattended.

I wonder if he were to leave a very large teddy bear, would the reaction be similar due to the possibility it could be stuffed with explosives?
    Benoît Brookens III
    President - Dataracks, Inc.
    Dataracks.net | Ultra-Reliable Hosting.™

Some of the responses here are unreal. So that's how we should handle situations now adays? Security at the cost of freedom and liberty? The guy left a bag in the airport and went to jail for it. I was stupid, no doubt about that, but he left a TEDDY BEAR so he could go smoke.

The charge was loaded. The guy was guilty of leaving a bag with a teddy bear in the airport, the nusense was overreacting airport personel and a judge that apparently believes that you don't have to do anything illegal to get a jail sentence.

would you like to post the link to the original source please?

this sounds too incredible.

they would obviously have to have arrested and prosecuted a 4 years old child if he e.g. went to toilet leaving his bag or teddybear unattended, for the exact same motive.

of course nice when this happens in a language you don't understand. so lets say you go to an arabic speaking country and drop your (empty) water bottle to the trash, and get arrested. and somewhere it says in arabic to not leave even garbage unattended. bring your garbage back to where ever you wanted to fly to.
    gia

It really doesnt make sense for them to over-react. Any modern terrorist, as has been proven, will keep his package with him and die along with everyone else. That was proven on 911.

He was hispanic, right? I think this is a case of mistaken identity. Someone in security probably saw him walk away from the bag, and thought he was of Arabic decent.

However, the scenario is the classic movie. Bad guy leaves bag in public area. Bad guy walks out for a smoke. Public area goes boom. Security guards have been watching too many boom movies...LOL

Originally posted by Webdude
    If he was there waiting to board his plane, his bags would have already been scanned. If there was a bomb in it, it would have already been their screwup in the first place for not catching when he came in..
    Thats a good point and everyone ignored this point

Originally posted by Giaguara
    would you like to post the link to the original source please?

this sounds too incredible.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...ds/3686289.stm
    Steve

and http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...06/ixhome.html .. found that first. i tried to have a look in bbc news first but didnt see it
    gia

Originally posted by CresHost
    Thats a good point and everyone ignored this point
    It says he completely left the building to have a cigarette. I'm not experienced with the airport in question but in most cases if you have got that far with your check in etc then you are not allowed outside of the building except to walk to your plane if it is not directly connected to the building by a walk way. However in the link you just posted it did say "Departure Lounge", so maybe he had gone through security already. Not 100% on that one.
    Steve

You are not allowed to leave the stuff and get out of the airport for the cigarette. So I assume he was in the smoke areas inside airport.

Just in case, keep your kids in order. The next time I see a kid leaving a toy unattended in an airport, even when going to just pee, I might dial 112, just to see what happens.
    gia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast