Question Setting Up a Windows Server

Greeting,
    I plan to set up a shared windows hosting business and purchase a dedicated server.I have some doubts in setting up a server,can you all please enlighten me?These are the questions:

1)How can i set the DNS?set it in Windows or by using the Helm control panel will be enough?

2)After i install mysql on my server,helm control panel can automatically detect and ultilize it?or i need to install mysql before install helm?

3)I need to create a page where customer key in their particulars.I'll purchase a shared SSL certificate to ensure privacy on my customers details,but i need some info on how to use shared ssl on particular webpage?is there any online resource available?

4)Are there any online tutorial on how to set up a windows shared hosting server?

5)Last question....any ways to promote my windows hosting with limited budget?

Million thanks...
    Steven
    Last edited by steven_cong; 05-05-2004 at 10:41 PM.

I dunt know how to setup a windows server but i ran a google search to save you time http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=323384
    http://www.msfn.org/comments.php?shownews=5815
    http://www.tacteam.net/isaserverorg/...2003client.htm
    http://www.visualwin.com/
    http://www.samspublishing.com/articl...32051&seqNum=2

i hope this helps, sorry for not answering directly, dunt want to mislead you
    "Web Hosting is not just about selling space, it is about facilitating customers needs with your plans and supporting the customer for a long lasting mutually beneficial relationship."- Yaser

1.)Needs to be activated and basic configuration. Helm will add the zones as needed for each domain.

2.)MySQL can be installed at any tmie. I suggest before you start adding clients. Check out www.webhostautomation.com and click on their forum. Some posts regarding the config of MySQL and integrating it with helm can be found in there. It does take some configuration to integrate it correctly.

3.)If you configure the shared SSL manually on the server you can then have Helm create the shared part for you in the format of...
    https://sharedsecure.com/domain-com/

4.)I havent come across any... but Yaser's post may be helpful on this. I havent clicked any of the links he supplied though. There are A LOT of things to take in to consideration and the install needs to be exact so you do not run in to future problems. Might be worth having someone check over everything like the perms to make sure everything is sufficiently clamped down and secure.

5.)Yes... Just have to get the name out. This doesnt always require money.
    -- Matthew

Hi,Yaser...You have been very helpful for me...Thanks for those very nice and valuable link to me!Thanks a lot!

Hi,Stormhost, Thanks for your reply and your link.It's also a great help for me in order to set up my own windows server!

Erm...I am curious how long you all take to reach the breakeven point for web hosting?

Another question is,Helm Control Panel seems don't really have additional software which can be install just in one click like cpanel...will it stop people from purchasing windows web hosting?

Thanks for sharing....

first of all you are very welcome steven , sharing is caring

Secondly, no i dunt think it will stop people from purchasing windows hosting, people who work on windows server need the hosting as long as you provide good service and support people will use you, differentiate yourself ofc .

Breakevern time really depends, a person can start a hosting company and wait for people to come, never spend money or very little money on marketing, no networking and expect customers, this type of person will reach break-even in the next twi-light Then there is one person who networks alot, great support, spends now and then on marketing, he/she wil eventually grow, but yea takes approximate 7-8 months till you start making some money and around 6 months or few to breakeven. Develop a nice site design, market well, support well and you will eventually grow
    "Web Hosting is not just about selling space, it is about facilitating customers needs with your plans and supporting the customer for a long lasting mutually beneficial relationship."- Yaser

Thanks Friend.

The books you recommend all highly rated by amazoners!Looks great I think i'll have to purchase one for sure!

Breakeven to me is like have 10 to 15 customers to enable me to pay for the dedicated server fees (dedicated server cost around that,right?).I suppose 2 months i can reach that?is that possible?

By the way,can you shared how you think of an idea to start a webhosting business and attract customers to purchase a service from you?

Any advertising method work great for you all? I'm thinking of using Google's adsense, is that a good way?

Talking

Well I can't help much for Windows Servers as I personally perfer Linux
    Anyway even with lets say 15 customers how much of the system resource would be used and how many other people can you squeeze into the server......?

As for the marketing well thats where I could be a little more helpful.

Google Adwords?
    - Quite revenue wasting... people actually click to get money from the advertisers..... be careful...

OverTure
    - A little better than Goole but.... quite expensive be prepared for a huge advertising budget.

Mass eMail
    - Spamming keep away...

CPC/CPM egines from other companies
    - Well invest in a few test out their effectiveness. Sometimes its not about the number of clicks you get its about the quality of clicks if you get 100 clicks but 1 buyer I would prefer if I get 10 clicks and 1 buyer if you know what I mean.

Banners at other sites
    - Either you invest in many many small sites or invest in a large site. But be careful to look out for your targeting customers. Lets say you sell GameBoy Games.... you wouldn't want to advertise on a site that promotes women's undergarments no matter how much traffic the latter is getting.... ( well you get my point )

Search Engines ( common name SEO )
    - well take your time on these.... don't rush it.... I will say how about 6 months? There is no short way to this

Now what else you want to know?
    ( Time to promote my own site mwa hahahaha.... well nevermind you got to know your strategy before you jump in )
    -=- GQ Hong -=-
    GalacNet WebMaster

Diversify your budget steven, try different ppc search engines, www.looksmart.com www.ah-ha.com try have an affiliate program, do social networking (make sure you have an elevator speech ) service your customers well for word of mouth, submit manually to search engines, have a keyword rich text copy of your pages, do your meta tags, geo target your advertising, make some good guides to help people with windows hosting. happy windows hosting !

Thanks Guys, i'll note down all points and start my planning now!Technical things is still ok to me,what i afraid are those nasty customers.... hehe...perhaps i should learn to BEAR!

Btw,can i just post my company offer in WHT Advertising forum ?is there a charge for it?