Fedora
    RH
    Debian

http://servercove.com/images/bsd3.jpg

Fedora - don't
    Debian - if you know what you're doing
    RH - sure
    FreeBSD - sure

Basically they're all good operating systems (fedora, RH, debian - all linux) and freeBSD in a world of its own.

You'll find that theres a lot of support behind RH (but you'll have to go with enterprise edition to notice) and freeBSD. It all depends on what you're comfortable with.

If I had my druthers, I'd switch back to FreeBSD in an instant. It's what I started off with (3.5, and then 4.5). As fac3less said, it's in a world (and a league) of it's own. FreeBSD systems are a bit harder to compromise than RH systems. Perhaps it's because it's not as widely used as RH is, perhaps it's because the coders give a damn about it... in any case, it's a very robust and highly scalable operating system.
    Doug Hazard - "retired" Web Hosting Master
    * Full Stack (Web/WP) Dev for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond (160+ sites)
    * Sports Photographer, Media Personality and CFB Historian
    * Tech Admin for several Sports Networks/Sites

You forgot mandrake.

The lastest version of RH is fedora... RH has a long standing trackrecord on the linux world.....next comes is BSD pretty much a good option tooo... Stability and popularity of RH is unmatched though....

Good Luck

go with RedHat or FreeBSD......

Originally posted by fac3less
    Fedora - don't
    Care to indulge?

Fedora Core 1 is just pure top quality. I find your "don't" a tad confusing.

Simon
    EIRCA Ltd, home of The Genius Network™.

If you don't need any control panels, and you want to do everything from console then go with slackware 9.1

A lot of the veteran linux peeps hate RH9.

No mention of Gentoo?

emerge is just great (so is apt-get in Debian for that matter), and so is the ability to fully tweak things to your hardware (assuming you have the free time to compile it all).
    Former owner of A Small Orange
    New owner of <COMING SOON>

Originally posted by CretaForce
    If you don't need any control panels, and you want to do everything from console then go with slackware 9.1
    Yep... slackware is my true love in the world of unix-like OS'. It really tears me apart with this hosting business, since the control panels that customers demand won't work with it and the one so far that does, webmin/usermin/virtualmin, is not really geared for this sort of thing. Maybe if all of us slackware users speak out we can get some support. A rep from swsoft (plesk control panel) showed interest in getting plesk to work with slackware, so I've still got some hope.
    http://www.bash-shell.net - webhosting geared towards personal websites and small businesses.
    http://domains.bash-shell.net

Yes, back before the days when control pannels were the big thing, we did all of our hosting on slackware with very very few problems. Slackware has proven to me to be more secure, stable, and all around reliable than the other o/s's.

It is, however, more Unix like and more difficult to use.

Originally posted by IHSL
    Care to indulge?

Fedora Core 1 is just pure top quality. I find your "don't" a tad confusing.

Simon
    i'd also like to know more about why yes or why not to choose Fedora

Fedora is great. Best RH distro since 7.3. RH9 is just a fix for the RH 8 april fools joke and is largely watered down compared to 7.3. We have also had huge problems with RH9/Apache 2 servers running more than 300 domains. We've had to hack the kernel and install 1.3.29 due to mod_ssl and other issues.
    Laurence Flynn @ HostNEXUS.com
    Managed WordPress Hosting Solutions
    Focused on speed. Obsessed with security.

FreeBSD - OK
    Fedora - NO
    RH - Recommended (NOT RH9, go with RH E3)
    Debian - NO

cybexhost1 :

Why not RH9?

Originally posted by cybexhost1
    Fedora - NO
    As the other person didn't care to indulge further, could you possibly tell me why you state "NO" for Fedora?

Keep in mind, it is, as Lawrence stated, widely accepted as the best since RH7.3.

Simon
    EIRCA Ltd, home of The Genius Network™.