Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CogentCo

Hybrid View

CogentCo

Hi

Do you know Cogentco network? Is stable? Fast? Are they comparable with top backbones?

Thank you.

i think this has already been answered for you. You arent going to find a company that is fast and stable for your price range. HE is probably the closest you'll get to being fast and stable on a small budget.

hello

if your you have the server in The Planet in which you are based to say that There am are He.net better than Cogent?

He.net is quite weak in Dallas, consider something else.
    http://Ethr.net jay@ethr.net
    West Coast AT&T / Level3 / Savvis Bandwidth, Colocation, Dedicated Server, Managed IP Service, Hardware Load Balancing Service, Transport Service, 365 Main St, SFO / 200 Paul Ave, SFO / PAIX, PAO / Market Post Tower, 55 S. Market, SJC / 11 Great Oaks, Equinix, SJC

You'll also want to research what part of the Cogent network you're on, since a lot of it was acquired at diffrent times and is of varying quality.

For example, the old PSInet backbone in Phoenix is one of thier higher quality ones where they don't even offer the 100 megabit product. You can get a DS3 for ~$40 a megabit, and you have to buy the loop.

They have a new product that is a 10 Mbps burstable to 100 Mbps for $500/month. Burst is 95% at $50/Mbps. You have to be in an on-net building to get this rate. Once you grow you can convert that to the 100Mbps plan for $3000. You would have to have your 95th over 60Mbps to justify that.

Good to know, i've always thought it would be fun to have some Cogent transit as part of our BGP, but never saw the value in buying the entire pipe. Believe it or not, some Cogent routes are actually "closer" than others

Mfjp in Scythes? HE.NET has positioning in Fremont and San Jose.

i wait for your answers.

Mfjp , sorry... we spoke of Cogent. sorry again.

If Cogent chose it would go for Washington.

Thanks.

in aim... they recommend or no?

but gentlemen you have had own experience contracting colocation in Cogent? or they speak so that they have listened to it?

Really already I have spoken with 3 people who are there and say uptime total, perfect latency and support 24h.

That happens gentlemen with so many critics?

Comers,

I know we spoke on MSN before my monitor went dead and I gave you several reasons as did Erica, Mfjp and others why cogent is not a good choice. As I stated on MSN and i will state it again. If you want to sacrifce quality for budget ($3000) then HE.Net or Cogent is your choice. If you want quality then your going to need to have a budget of $4200/month or better.
    Webby Enterprises LLC - AS63031
    Proudly Offering Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated and Colo from Sunny Central Florida
    In the business since 1997!
    http://www.webbytech.net

webtech so that Cogent says that or I have is a bad option?

To speak to speak? Or simply to sell?

If you speak with clients it will see that they are satisfied and everything is perfect

You you speak without own experience some.

I have had bandwidth from Cogent before. as others have stated. In certain area's its good. others its bad. Latency is different at every pop. PSINet has a pop in St. Louis and the latency and pings seem to be very good. they only offer T1 and T3 out of St. Louis. Where they offer the 100mbps and 1000mbps ethernet solutions the latency is a lil bit higher. just my opinon and you should do whatever you feel is right for your business and your customers.
    Proudly Offering Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated and Colo from Sunny Central Florida

Where they recommend to me to do colocation in Cogent? In which zone?

http://www.cogentco.com/network/index.html

Seattle? San Francisco? Santa Clara? Los Angeles? San Diego? Scythes? Houston? Atlanta? Chicago? Toronto? Boston? New York? Philadelphia? Washington? Trimming? Tampa? Miami?

As better?

Thanks.

Thats for you to decide. You asked at WHT and several forum regulars gave you their opinons. If you dont want to take them into consideration dont but you cant keep asking the same question and expect to get an answer that you like of I LOVE COGENT. YOU SHOULD GET THEM.

if, but as already there am saying to him, my maximum budget is of $3000, I cannot pay more

I'm confused... does Cogent provide co-location services, or are they an ISP that will run wires to your location?

Tey started out as Carrier with providing backbone access to company's but when they bought PSI a few years ago they aquired PSI's data centers also hence the reason for offering co-location services now too.

SniperDevil I want it for colocation

webtech in www.psi.net also I have colo fullrack+100mbits by $3000, is not the same? He is better to contract it in psi.net?

do you understand anything. Cogent bought PSI over a year ago so its the same offering. Some area's are better than others. It sounds like your convinced to buy $3000 worth of Rack, Power and IP Transit from Cogent so go for it and let me know how it works out for you and your customers.

Or, but you to not said that locations of Cogent have better quality and "to fame or critic to me"

Comers, i have spentn 3 days giving you reasons. Its your choice. Do what you want but i wouldn't put my customers on 1 Cogent line. if you hvae 40 servers at 700gb each you should be makig enough to pay for more than $3k cogent bandwidth

Originally posted by webtech
    Comers, i have spentn 3 days giving you reasons. Its your choice. Do what you want but i wouldn't put my customers on 1 Cogent line. if you hvae 40 servers at 700gb each you should be makig enough to pay for more than $3k cogent bandwidth
    It's hard to make him understand that selling each server with 700GB of bandwidth doesn't mean 40 servers would burn 28TB per month. It would be very unlikely everybody uses all the bandwidth...
    http://Ethr.net jay@ethr.net
    West Coast AT&T / Level3 / Savvis Bandwidth, Colocation, Dedicated Server, Managed IP Service, Hardware Load Balancing Service, Transport Service, 365 Main St, SFO / 200 Paul Ave, SFO / PAIX, PAO / Market Post Tower, 55 S. Market, SJC / 11 Great Oaks, Equinix, SJC

Cogent isn't bad in chicago, IMHO, but still, the network has limited options for us who like to play with settings (bgp, etc).
    I think it would be best to buy bandwidth and rackspace from an existing provider in a datacenter rather than go with someone direct unless you live near it and you can provide support yourself. The whole point of going with a co-location or server provider is that you don't have to worry about the network or connections or being able to drive there to reboot stuff,etc.. it's worth it even if it's a decent amount more $ , you pay for peace of mind. Anyone who is offering bandwidth that cheap isn't making any money and probably will give you nasty support. Cogent won't ssh into one of your servers and fix a problem for you :>
    make sure you can do the routers and switches and servers on your own before you buy direct from someone who only sells bandwidth (i.e. cogent)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast