server migration without having downtime

Hi All,
    I am new in this forum. I have a problem with one of the client server. For some reason we are changing a server from one datacenter to another one. So, we are moving the data from old server to new server. Once everything is moved, the client would then update the nameserver IP's with his registrar. But the problem is, the client is pretty serious about not having any downtime. Someone told me it can be done by pointing old dns to new one. But I don't have any proper idea about that. Can u guys suggest me about " What to Do ?". Please !!!

Transfer all data to the new server, and then copy the DNS zone file from the new server to the old server. Once this is done, your old nameservers will be pointing everything to the new server. Then, you can switch nameservers at your registrar, and experience no downtime.

-Josh

Thx a lot. . I got the point.

Originally posted by bidhata
    Thx a lot. . I got the point.
    No problem, glad to help. If you have any more questions or concerns about a server move, feel free to post them. I'll feel free to answer them if I know the answer

-Josh

Without downtime is easy, data loss (synchronizing) is hard

If it's a static site then there's no problem, but if it's an active forum then there's no way that I know of which has no loss of data.
    ML

I did this successfully a bit ago.
    --

Ive never tried this before, but is it true you can simply run a remote backup in cPanel and then recover the backup on the new server and then just complete all the DNS changes and wait for proporgation?

PS. Ive only ever done server migration manually so have not tried it like this.
    Last edited by WirralNet Matt; 05-05-2004 at 09:49 PM.
    Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

Having cPanel in new and old server both. So, not to worry about data migration I think. Also, I am dumping almost everything to a nfs server temporary 1st.

Mind sharing?

I would like to know how would that be possible if its an active forum or something.

Every forum is not WebHostingTalk Forum Ultra . We can figure out a low traffic time , and then boooom .. Change the server .. hehehehehe.

Originally posted by UltraUnixNET
    Mind sharing?

I would like to know how would that be possible if its an active forum or something.
    I've done this task a few times already with active MySQL sites (Should've mentioned it before) - Pick the time where the fewest people are viewing your site, and temporarily take the script offline, move it over, and switch the configuration to pull the MySQL from the new server while you're transitioning to the new server. Hope this helped.

-Josh