new to ecommerce

Hi,

I have a free dating website. Now I want to make it "paid" web site. So that members pay for certain services through credit card that my website provide.

What do I need to do? I already have a registered business (Tijar Inc) and a business bank acount.

If someone can guide me I wil greatly appreciate that....

Thanks

Most important of all, the scripting of your site must be able to allow people to register and pay. Must have a payment gateway for people to be billed via credit card.

In addition, you must make sure it has technical support and any precaution on credit card frauds.

Hi Ish,

Not sure how your original site was written - but, theres a few things you require...

As acidbase mentioned - youll need an interface with a merchant account, and actual merchant account, an SSL certificate (this is just a secure method of collecting personal - ie credit card - information)

Youll also need some sort of scripting added to your site which will give your users the ability to "shop" for various options and actually buy them...

Im not sure if this answers your questions - But have a few ecommerce developers look at your current site and see what it will take to integrate ecommerce functionality into it...

Hope this helps..

Speaking of e-commerce developers, you may want to have Andrew ("Gargyole") take a look at your site as he is very experienced in that sort of thing.

I know that he can't mention himself due to the forum TOS but he's been on this forum for a long time and helped a lot of other folks so maybe he can also assist you.

BTW - the only obstacle that you may want to be wary of on the merchant account side is the nature of your business. "Dating" sites and a lot of other sites in a similar line of business are considered high-risk by a lot of processors and/or may fall into the category requiring the high-risk registration fee from Visa.
    CDGcommerce.com - Trusted Merchant Account Solutions since 1998
    Many thousands of successful, growing businesses benefit from our expertise every day. You can, too!
    We help merchants to eliminate gateway costs, reduce & mitigate fraud and achieve streamlined PCI compliance.
    Learn more today at http://www.cdgcommerce.com - we look forward to helping your business grow!

When you do get up & running - you might also consider applying for Verified by Visa. This will help reduce some chargebacks issues - mainly the "I didn't do its" - it costs a little more - usually about $.10 a transaction, but you also get a few basis points off your discount rate.

You may also wish to consider going offshore. Getting approval for higherrisk business types is a lot more easier outside of the USA.

Thanks a lot for your replies. I will make an interface on my website that will collect information from my customer about their credit card.

I believe I need to open an merchant account..what exactly is merchant account ? who do I need to contact to open merchant account?

Thanks

A merchant account helps you to accept & process consumer credit cards.

What country is your business based in?

Originally posted by isheikh

I believe I need to open an merchant account..what exactly is merchant account ? who do I need to contact to open merchant account?

Thanks

Originally posted by isheikh

Thanks
    You have two choices

1) Either get A regular Merchant Account and a Gateway....

2) Or a Third Party Processor....

CHOICE 1:
    There are lots of reputed companies that offer merchant account along with gateway services....this is like an interface to a gateway who process the credit card for you...Merchants account providers are banks/financial institutions that credit you account for the amount billed to your clients credit card....they are once that give you montly statements showing about the financial transactions for you business.....They provide you with the tools to where you can refund money to your customers if you have to do that....and whatever else you do.....

Now the question is which merchant account and more important which gateway to choose....
    One popular gateway is Authorize.net and here is a link to partners of authorize.net who offer merchant accounts and gateway services through authorize.net

http://www.authorizenet.com/reseller/directory.php

Ofcourse there are someother gateways also but i am not familiar with all of them...and there are lot more merchant account services providers out there aswell....

CHOICE 2:
    You have the option of using a third party processor who have their own merchantaccount/gateway services and you can use their services....this is somewhat easier to setup atleast i think so and if you are just starting out then this might be the way to go....but again having your own merchant account seems atleast to some people more proffesional than a third party processors.... Ofcourse there is much more to said but i am kind of giving a general overview about things....
    some common choices are: paypal.com, 2checkout.com, paysystems.com propay.net

NOW THAT you got more names and meanings of what they do....doing research of them and making your own decision is something you got to doooo....good luck and i am not responsible for anything ...... my disclaimer

Good Luck

One of the problems which has already been mentioned by some others is the type of business that isheikh has. It could be considered high risk & a lot of processors will not touch it.

A lot will take the account but the posted prices that are on the site will not be applicable. They will be higher because of the risks involved with this type of account

Hi Ish,

Drop [email protected] a PM - he will be able to explain all your options.

Best of luck in your search...

No to rain on your parade folks.

But - Aside from having a merchant account and a way to process payments, you have to be able to actually manager and apply these payments to specific accounts, and have a means to allow/disallow access to your users, based on payments recieved.

This typically takes a fair amount of development work to build the business logic into your web application.

Keep that in mind, you need alot more than just a merchant account.