Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Well known Company, well known owner, 30 days without service :( And now...

Hello,

I operate a well-known hosting company in Europe. My primary server was too slow, it had to be changed. So, I sold it, datacenter saved my datas in a SCSI hard drive. I mailed them but as they said, they cannot transfer my datas to another hard drive, the server was running with DirectAdmin. Only their Xeons runs with SCSI hard drives so It wasnt possible to buy a server server. By the way, I always send a mail to them but there were no solution. The server have 15 resellers, 150 non-stop active domains, too many sub-users.

So, I should buy a Xeon again but its price was high to me but I must buy it so I mailed them 5 times. There were 28 days left without a server and they told me that they don't have any Xeons avaible.

Now can you think about me at our hosting forums and at other platforms? I closed the call center and my office because of this. I was going great but 30 days without service; thats too long.

The company is a registered trademark. I am going to have too many problems. I make legal agreements with the customers.

My life has changed because of this...

I am very sorry to hear this....

But well there is no use telling you what should have been done before this because no one would have forseen this kind of thing would happen when you are hosting with another company that has a good reputation....

Another way around this maybe to actaully read the TOS of your provider when they are doing the swap. Read it closely... because the data in that Hard drive could cost you thousands every month and losing those long term customers would cost not only money but your hard work and reputation......

Now if they have not provided what their Service Level agreement had promise please proceed to call they main office for compensation and if not get your lawyer to sue them for this loss due to their "incompetance" -- ( some of the reasons why I operate a free hosting company )

But anyway, I wish you well in this situation.
    If there is anything i could help and within my means please let me know.
    -=- GQ Hong -=-
    GalacNet WebMaster

Thank you very much.

I thought I was possible to transfer the datas or the hard drive to a new server. I am still thinking this, because people told me that is possible to transfer the DirectAdmin based datas. There were no TOS when I sign-up with them. Everything was going great but the provider company was improving, they've got too many customers. We were chatting at MSN, now they don't care about me. I don't care about the customers much, I just care my name in the sector.

My company was improving, it had a great sitatuation but now, everything lost...

humm.... I don't see whats the problem....

Worse case would be to do it manually..... I am sure binary files can be exported and uploaded again into user acounts.
    That company seems to have forgot that they should keep up with their customer support service... any chance talking to a higher level support staff?
    -=- GQ Hong -=-
    GalacNet WebMaster

Originally posted by Shoey
    I don't care about the customers much, I just care my name in the sector.
    Really? Thats not a very good attitude, I would not like to be one of your customers after reading that. I am sure the downtime is affecting them too.

Originally posted by galacnet
    humm.... I don't see whats the problem....

Worse case would be to do it manually..... I am sure binary files can be exported and uploaded again into user acounts.
    That company seems to have forgot that they should keep up with their customer support service... any chance talking to a higher level support staff?
    They don't care about me, I don't know why. I only know a person from that company. They don't have a higher level support personnel as I know. He is experienced, I am sure he can solve this problem... Some months ago, they were great to me. Now, they don't care about my general problems. Sometimes when my servers goes down I really cannot send a reboot pager. I thought, If I bothered them much, they will no-longer help me now they left me alone in a dark hole. They also know how I am. I always be polite and kind to them. Never bothered much. They were friendly. I also have a managed service but only one-time I requested a kernel upgrade in 10-11 months but they did it immediatelly.

Well, you want my opinion ? I don't want to sound rude, but you've done it all wrong.

If you're that reputable why would you sell a server without even having the new one up and running ?

What is the problem with the drive exactly ? They can't transfer the data to another drive because there is DirectAdmin on it ? What does it have to do with DirectAdmin. DirectAdmin is a software installed on a filesystem. They're should be no problem recovering the data.

Maybe, I misunderstood something, but I won't ever host with you thats for sure.

Come on be nice.......
    He is in an already terrible situation already.....
    Try to get him back on-line first after that we can tell him what is actually wrong.... lke what I said in my first post

But well there is no use telling you what should have been done before this because no one would have forseen this kind of thing would happen when you are hosting with another company that has a good reputation....
    -=- GQ Hong -=-
    GalacNet WebMaster

Originally posted by adam-pca
    Really? Thats not a very good attitude, I would not like to be one of your customers after reading that. I am sure the downtime is affecting them too.
    Sorry.. I didn't want to write that. None of my customers can read that.

I always look after to my customers, I always support them. I have a 24/7 avaible call center for support. I care about my customers.

But, 30 days without service... what can I say to them? I am going to refund them and its very big money! I cannot buy a new server in the next month. I should take back my name from the dark hole.

I don't know what do I have to do

I was getting a new sign-up(s) ever day. As I said, its a well-known company.

Why couldn't you just get a NEW server and host it as a co-location server? Wouldn't take solve all your problems?
    I believe that would take only like 1 or 2 days....
    -=- GQ Hong -=-
    GalacNet WebMaster

Originally posted by utsn
    Well, you want my opinion ? I don't want to sound rude, but you've done it all wrong.

If you're that reputable why would you sell a server without even having the new one up and running ?

What is the problem with the drive exactly ? They can't transfer the data to another drive because there is DirectAdmin on it ? What does it have to do with DirectAdmin. DirectAdmin is a software installed on a filesystem. They're should be no problem recovering the data.

Maybe, I misunderstood something, but I won't ever host with you thats for sure.
    I mailed all my customers before it was gone. I thought, new server setup would took 24 hours but I never get a new server...

They told me that the data transfer could be possible but after I sold the server they told me that they cannot do that. I don't have any idea, I'm not a tech.

Why couldn't you just get a NEW server and host it as a co-location server? Wouldn't take solve all your problems?
    Why he would sell his actual server before doing this his beyong belief.

It should be possible with the datas but;

They cannot transfer the datas to a new server
    They have no any other Xeon avaible to put my HDD (SCSI's only works with them)

It should be possible with the datas but;

They cannot transfer the datas to a new server
    They have no any other Xeon avaible to put my HDD (SCSI's only works with them)
    Drive to the datacenter, take the HD and hire a tech for a couple of hours it should be alright..

And who told you exactly that you can only have SCSI HD with Xeon. Thats 100% wrong.

Do you mind me asking the name of the company, as it has not been mentioned yet and I feel if people are going to help you they have a right too know. Don't you?

Originally posted by utsn
    Drive to the datacenter, take the HD and hire a tech for a couple of hours it should be alright..

And who told you exactly that you can only have SCSI HD with Xeon. Thats 100% wrong.
    I cannot drive to the datacenter. The datacenter is in the United States and I'm in Europe

I wanted a P4 but they told me that they cannot put SCSI HDD to a P4 server.

If you have the HDD why not try another server provider? I mean you don't have to use that same company and do you really want to use a company that has caused you this much grief? I know I wouldn't.

Do you mind me asking the name of the company, as it has not been mentioned yet and I feel if people are going to help you they have a right too know. Don't you?
    People can trust me. I won't tell name of my company and my dedicated server provider.

Why?...
    For me...
    Customers can see this post, this will cause to get me no new sign-ups and I can also lose my current customers.

Why?...
    For my provider...
    My dedicated server provider is improving, they are helpfull to other people. They were helpfull to me and very nice. They have no many bad reviews. I really dont want to mention the name of the provider.
    Last edited by Shoey; 05-05-2004 at 04:55 PM.

If you have the HDD why not try another server provider? I mean you don't have to use that same company and do you really want to use a company that has caused you this much grief? I know I wouldn't.
    A BIG REFUND is waiting me this week. Its really big. I cannot buy a new server in this month but the current provider trust me and they can setup me a server and they can allow me to pay it end of the month.

Why?...
    For my provider...
    My dedicated server provider is improving, they are helpfull to other people. They were helpfull to me and very nice. They have no many bad reviews. I really wouldnt mention the name of the provider.
    Shoey, your dedicated server provider has put you in this position. By naming them you could stop this happening to other hosting companies. Although most companies, including me, carefully plan there moves and I doubt this situation would ever arrise.

Again, I recommend moving to another provider. Not many people would stay with a company like the one you are describing.

Don't care about customers?
    Not a tech?
    You sound like a right pillock to me, what the hell are you doing running a hosting business?

I cannot drive to the datacenter. The datacenter is in the United States and I'm in Europe

I wanted a P4 but they told me that they cannot put SCSI HDD to a P4 server.
    You can put a SCSI HD into a Pentium I if you want. The only thing you need is a SCSI adapter.

You probably want to rent a dedicated server I guess ? And they don't have a SCSI Card in their P4 packages ?

I think it's time you switch provider. Shop for a good datacenter that understand the situation and that agree to put your SCSI drive as soon as he arrives. As for your actual datacenter. They dont seem to care much about you and ask them to ship the HD to your new provider ASAP. Pay them the shipping fee. It should have been done 29 days ago.

Wish you good luck !

Cheers,

Matt

After 30 days downtime is there really a chance all your customers are still there? I know personally, if I were a reseller I would have my customers on another server after 48 hours downtime, and been requesting a refund after 7 days down. As a single site webmaster, I would have probably tolerated 3 days down and moved before the week was out.

I am sorry this happened to you, and I feel for you, but this is a great lesson for any host - plan, plan and then even more so plan your move from one server to another!

Two Words.

Remote Backups!
    Bill Kish
    TotalChoice Hosting
    Hosting over 50,000 clients since 2000
    http://www.totalchoicehosting.com

Shoey, we dont know how many of your customers are still left with you but for their sake and your company's rep. sake move to a better colocated service, here is a link to 1 http://www.digex.com do as utsn is advising you, hope is not lost and dont giveup till the final second, im sure you didnt build your company to see this type of ending oneday? You are just upset cause of the catastrophic situation, i agree any one would be but atleast try harder, what you said about 'dunt care about customers' i know that isnt true, you wouldnt provide call centres and all if you didnt care, so do something ASAP, dont let your brand die on you, you can always get your old customers back or not back then atleast not pissed at you. Hope you will do something, ask me for any help im ready to help you out! anything just name it

P.S. DONT GIVE UP HOPE! YOU CAN STILL DO IT!
    "Web Hosting is not just about selling space, it is about facilitating customers needs with your plans and supporting the customer for a long lasting mutually beneficial relationship."- Yaser

Originally posted by MalUK
    Don't care about customers?
    Not a tech?
    You sound like a right pillock to me, what the hell are you doing running a hosting business?
    I hire techs when I need one. I have support and sales personnel but they are not avaible at the moment because of this problem.

so what have you decided to do about this situation?
    "Web Hosting is not just about selling space, it is about facilitating customers needs with your plans and supporting the customer for a long lasting mutually beneficial relationship."- Yaser

Originally posted by Yaser
    Shoey, we dont know how many of your customers are still left with you but for their sake and your company's rep. sake move to a better colocated service, here is a link to 1 http://www.digex.com do as utsn is advising you, hope is not lost and dont giveup till the final second, im sure you didnt build your company to see this type of ending oneday? You are just upset cause of the catastrophic situation, i agree any one would be but atleast try harder, what you said about 'dunt care about customers' i know that isnt true, you wouldnt provide call centres and all if you didnt care, so do something ASAP, dont let your brand die on you, you can always get your old customers back or not back then atleast not pissed at you. Hope you will do something, ask me for any help im ready to help you out! anything just name it

P.S. DONT GIVE UP HOPE! YOU CAN STILL DO IT!
    Thank you very much but I can't do something. 12 resellers left. Due to a big refund, I can't pay for a new server for this month. I was getting new sign-up(s) every day. Because, I have one of the best hosting companies in my country with its office, 24/7 call center (+toll free), nice sales/support personnel. But now, I think, I should start with a new name but that wouldnt be easy after successful 10-11 months.

I am still waiting for a solution from the provider if they mind to answer me.

ASAP? I always wanted it but there were 30 days left...

Thank you very much again.

Shoey many companies have ups and downs, Im sure if you addressed your previous customers even though they are lost. Atleast you would not get alot of -ve word of mouth, damage has been done, but you can always come back. After your 10-11 months of success you wouldnt want to abondon your brand, you dont have enough money, take a loan! if you are well known like you say then you can get one and start firing on all clyndiers. I am amazed how you respect your service provider, mostly people come here and bash the providers on how they got screwed but your the first one... i respect you for that and think you are a great person! I do hope you get something going.

. . . Customers can see this post, this will cause to get me no new sign-ups and I can also lose my current customers.
    Yes, we call this educating the consumer so they know who they can trust with their sites. It's clear that you're not capable of operating a hosting business. After 30 days of providing no product to your clients, I'm amazed that you have any clients left at all.
    Last edited by Aussie Bob; 05-06-2004 at 02:36 AM.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

i would love to have such loyal customers only me? all of us would like to have them :d

Yes after 30days and they are still with you... Your one lucky guy

I jumped at my connection provider instantly when there was a connection problem from my servers to the internet No amount of reputation would save you from such a prolong downtime..... its like I cut your mobile phone connection for 30 days
    -=- GQ Hong -=-
    GalacNet WebMaster

Im curious now to which company he has want to see whats to special, maybe once your being hosted they cast a spell hehe jk

I'm sure your provider cares about you and wants to help you. You might want to look into a few things though.

1. A SCSI drive can be put into a P4 but your provider may have to go out and purchase a new controller. They may not want to do that for free.

2. Check with thier billing department and make sure your billing is up to date. Are you 3, 4 or even 5 months behind? Have they ever gotten a full months payment out of you or have they been carying you and are now at the end of thier rope?

3. What is the history behind your servers with them? Are they constantly being hacked? Do they always seem to be launching attacks against others or even your provider's network? This might make your provider reluctant to be very cooperative with you.

I'm sure you are a nice guy and your provider enjoys working with you but if any of the above are true (or all of them) you may need to mend your relationship with them and show them that you can be a responsible customer.

Aaron
    Aaron Wendel
    Wholesale Internet, Inc. - http://www.wholesaleinternet.net
    Kansas City Internet eXchange - http://www.kcix.net

Thanks for all suggestions. The thingie for that SCSI has been bought. New server is online, there are still not many customers left.

The problem is fixed.

So did you manage to get a new server then?

You were very vague in your answers, as if you were trying to hide something?

Originally posted by poolking

You were very vague in your answers, as if you were trying to hide something?
    I noticed this too. Thats why I asked his company name, which I was not told, and provider, again he felt the need to not share this information. I'm sure he has his reasons but the truth behind them is another matter.

Thanks for all suggestions. The thingie for that SCSI has been bought. New server is online, there are still not many customers left.

The problem is fixed.
    Awesome news !

Lesson learned, act quick, ask us before a month... and PLAN your server move.

I hope everythings goes well for you again.

Cheers,

Matt

P.S : Now that your site is online, you can give us an URL maybe

As I said, its a well-known company so I am sorry, I cannot tell you the name of my company.

Thanks for everything again. Trying to improve my biz again.

As I said, its a well-known company so I am sorry, I cannot tell you the name of my company.

Thanks for everything again. Trying to improve my biz again.
    It's alright !

Good luck !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast