Recommend tutorials for newbie

There must be some good tutorials giving advise for a toal newbie to setting up and buying own servers, a complete novice on the subject. Please can you advise sites where i can find such information. Then i can come back here and ask questions.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=207298

If you are a complete newbie in regards to running a server and technical issues I suggest you go for a fully managed server or a reseller account. Managing a server is not a simple task and there is a lot of know-how involved.

I recommend reading through the guides listed on the ev1server's forums. The how-to forum has a wealth of knowledge.

EV1Server's how-to forum
    LipWeb.Net
    "Less Lip More Service"
    Providing Quality Hosting at Fair Prices
    AIM: LipWebNet MSN: daniel[at]lipweb.net [color=red]

i have a reseller account currently, but want to read up and learn about running my own server for the future.

www.tldp.org has tons of how-tos. Servers are a big responsabilty, make sure you know how to keep software up to date before you take that sort of responsabilty on A hacked server is nightmare.
    Hostito, Inc. - Web Hosting & Reseller Plans
    http://www.hostito.com
    [email protected] - 1 888 467 8486

sgwilks

it's nice to learn

8 months ago the max I knew was basic linux commands
    i just hosted my sites for 2 months, and broke the server hard 3 times (total offline time around 2 days)

now i got some good experience, although i'm far from being an expert... maybe in 2 or 3 more years

Lem0nHead

I don't think you truly know any system until you hose it a couple times.

Cheapest way to learn is to get an old computer and install the operating system you wil use.. then all you will loose is the time it take to restore the OS..

Originally posted by ambirex
    I don't think you truly know any system until you hose it a couple times.
    And even then it will find a way to bite you in the ***...

Well... the fastest way I find is to use the same OS used on your server installed on your desktop then use it for your daily computing... use your desktop to test on things at least before running your first test on your server... IMO
    Giam Teck Choon
    :: Join choon.net Community today to share your tips and tricks on server issues please ::
    :: Singapore Dedicated Servers :: Singapore Virtual Private Servers :: Linux/FreeBSD Server Management ::