Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Arrow Do I need to go dedicated?

I'm not a network admin and it scares the [blip] out of me to be left alone with a box I have to manage. Based on the following, do I need to go dedicated?

I have two personal sites that I need to host. They are non-commercial sites. I need the following software:

Apache, Linux, php, mySQL (at least 50 mb), ImageMagick, Zend Optimizer, phpMyAdmin

I need to be able to control htaccess and perform cronjobs.

I am currently using 107 mb of disk space and 8.1 GB monthly traffic. Both are increasing.

Budget is around $150/month.

Thanks in advance.

Arrow Do I need to go dedicated?

I'm not a network admin and it scares the [blip] out of me to be left alone with a box I have to manage. Based on the following, do I need to go dedicated?

I have two personal sites that I need to host. They are non-commercial sites. I need the following software:

Apache, Linux, php, mySQL (at least 50 mb), ImageMagick, Zend Optimizer, phpMyAdmin

I need to be able to control htaccess and perform cronjobs.

I am currently using 107 mb of disk space and 8.1 GB monthly traffic. Both are increasing.

Budget is around $150/month.

Thanks in advance.

For a lot less than $150/month you can get a hosting account that allows you to do everything that you need. Also, you would not need to manage your server. Check the HOST QUOTE at the top of this page.

That sounds more like a reseller or shared account to me, I wouldnt get a whole server for it, maybe VPS. But I think there is no need for a server with 500-1000gb bandwidth for using 8gb bandwidth. Most hosts have all you listed installed, and charge a little, or none extra for ronjobs
    Excell Hosting
    Budget Hosting

I agree with chaud - you dont need a dedicated server for those requirements. Perhaps a couple of shared accounts, or a reseller account would suit you better

Good luck finding a new home!

I do not think you need to get a dedicated server just yet. (Unless your sites are very server intensive--a lot of MySQL or scripting running all the time).

With a budget of $150.00 you should be able to find quite a few top level hosts which could handle 8 GB of bandwidth easily.
    Richard
    Multiple Domain Hosting | See our Ad in PC Magazine
    Windows Reseller Hosting @ www.e3servers.com

I would recommend you going with a reseller account to start off with just because you will have everything at one place and you can manage them.

Got any recommendations?

I did Host Quote and got rshosting.net. They seem good but don't have phone support. That makes me nervous.

Thanks,

Art

Any recommendations? I tried Host Quote and got rshosting.net. They seem good but I'm concerned that they don't have phone support.

A lot of companies don't offer phone support simply because they have no one to pick it up. A lot of companies staff range between 1 to 3 personnel who are busy doing other things like updating server software, or they can't afford someone to stand by the phone. This does not mean they can't deliver good service.
    Cory Pippen
    San Diego Direct Web, LLC
    1-866-611-3604

If your considering paying $150 which to be honest i think is crazy considering you can get quality hosting for less, but nevertheless if some is charging you that much, they should offer phone support

with this kind of bandwidth/space requirements, you're still far away from the need for a dedicated server
    Solid-Hosting.net - affordable multiple domain hosting solutions
    Reliability and Customer Service are our focus!

Maybe you get a 99/month server and hire a Server Admin for 20-40/month.

that gets you 80GB's of space, 1000GB of bandwidth(if you get from SM) and still below your budget.

But geting dedicated is prolly not a good idea, id recommend Arvixe Hosting (www.arvixe.com) u get 500mb and 10gb for $8/month, thats more than your using and way below your budget. Been with them for 8 months now i think uptime is 99.8% according to my uptime monitor

Definitely don't need your own dedicated server. You'd have to be banging out quite a bit of traffic or utilizing a ton of resources to require a dedicated server. You'd be fine with a shared hosting plan, for what you're looking for, you should expect to pay anywhere from $10.00 a month to $25 a month, depending on where you go.

Ask lots of questions, don't be afraid to email a host directly if you see something that's tempting. Also, do searches on the domain name without the extension to see what kind of reputation your potential host has here.
    Doug Hazard - "retired" Web Hosting Master
    * Full Stack (Web/WP) Dev for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond (160+ sites)
    * Sports Photographer, Media Personality and CFB Historian
    * Tech Admin for several Sports Networks/Sites

a mid size shared hosting plan should do the right thing for you. Your specification do no need a dedicated server for the moment. You can upgrade to an Dedicated server at any time if you feel you need a whole server for your web site.
    PierreB - Montreal

$150/month is much more than most are willing to pay. I think you can get some great hosting for a fraction of that. Just make sure you ask the hosts all of the questions you have and make sure you get the answers you need prior to signing up.

Thanks everyone.

I'm doing my research now.

Art

When money isn't the limiting factor, pair.com rarely disappoints.

[edit]Read TOS!

Anyways.. there are a few great hosts out there for quite cheap.. just make sure they have a good machine that will handle your site..

16 second render times are no fun

The price would range from 5-30 dollars per month - and I've found great hosts at the lower end of th spectrum (mind you I now have several dedicated servers.. anyways)
    Last edited by David; 05-05-2004 at 08:43 PM.

16 second render times are no fun
    I agree! Some of my shared hosting accounts (i.e. at http://www.ipowerweb.com) are verrrrrrrrryyyy slow...

To me, this sounds like you could use a VPS (Virtual Private Server). Consider this, as you can have shell access to the machine, and do basically whatever you want (with your allotted CPU time and RAM), and usually for a very good price! Check out http://vpscolo.com, http://dinix.com, etc.

No way do you need a dedicated server for those small needs. You can get what you are looking for, for about $20 per month most anywhere and not have to worry about managing a thing.
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Email/MSN sales@ceridius.com
    Ceridius Networks - Reseller of Hivelocity Hosting
    Network Speed Test

No way do you need dedicated. You should not have to spend anything more than $25 per month for what you need. Go with a shared plan and dont worry about managing anything.
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Email/MSN sales@ceridius.com
    Ceridius Networks - Reseller of Hivelocity Hosting
    Network Speed Test

No way you need to go dedicated. Get a VPS or a shared account. http://www.webhostingtalk.com/request.php is a nice way to find a host
    hm what should I put in my sig?

With two domains only, buy a Reseller plan from canaca and be happy for about $20 and one year free hosting.

reseller plan

With two domains only, buy a Reseller plan from canaca and be
    happy for about $20 and one year free hosting.

Imago

end of quote

I would suggest looking at other solutions instead of canaca. I purchased a reseller package in 2004 and had a lot of downtime in this short period of time.

As well there is no phone in support. Support is definitely an issue with canaca. Try to phone the support number on their website and you will reach a voice recording telling you that you have to send an email in. There is no one to talk to.

The website states that there is someone in sales for certain hours on the weekends. If there are I have never been able to reach them.

At times support emails do not get answered till the next day.

Can you imagine seeing the ensim default index page show up on your site after canaca works on the server? This has happened to me twice and there was nothing I could do. Had to look at this until someone at Canaca took time to fix their problem.

Good luck with finding one. I found one that looks promising and this time I searched the posts on webhostingtalk before making a decision, as well I phoned into support at 2 am to see if there are any live bodies around. So I am in the process of moving to a VDS package with RackForce.

dats

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast