I have two main criteria in a dedicated server.

I'm looking for a good dedicated linux server host (like everyone else right). There are two criteria which I have not been able to find in one company at the same time:

1. A host that doesn't charge a monthly fee for memory upgrades or a larger HD. It should be an initial one time fee only. A monthly fee for memory is completely, entirely, absolutely unforgivable. I want to know what exactly they have to do each month for my extra $40 or whatever as a result of my server having extra memory. In two years I'd end up paying like $800 for that extra 512 of ram that just sits in the box requiring no maintenance whatsoever. I can't apply that logic to the machine itself because it's not just the hardware that I'm paying for- but I CAN apply that logic to a memory/hd upgrade. Pricing like that insults my intelligence.

2. Every isp I look at, I do a whois on their domain name, then I do name lookups on their DNS servers. It's unbelievable how many ISP's have both primary and secondary DNS in the same subnet. Like, their primary DNS will be 130.13.41.45 and the secondary is like 130.13.41.47. If they do their own DNS that way, they'll probably do mine that way too. It just reveals a lack of knowledge/professionalism.

I've found lots of companies that do one of the two above but none both at the same time, AAARG!

Try talk to wholesaleinternet.com. Not positive if they do it, but they're usually pretty flexible in working deals. You can try asking for up front setup fees on upgrades.

The hosts usually charge for server upgrade in monthly basis for not to change one time fee. If you want - you often will be provided to pay in advance this fee.

Chances are if you are dealing directly with alot of the smaller companies they will be more flexible on what they can and cannot do such as one time fees for hardware.

Monthly charges of things like RAM are what some of the bigger budget houses use to recoup the money they lose by charging $99 for a dedicated server.. They end up getting the money out of you one way or the other

Re: I have two main criteria in a dedicated server.

Originally posted by Rotwang
    I'm looking for a good dedicated linux server host (like everyone else right). There are two criteria which I have not been able to find in one company at the same time:

[snip]

2. Every isp I look at, I do a whois on their domain name, then I do name lookups on their DNS servers. It's unbelievable how many ISP's have both primary and secondary DNS in the same subnet. Like, their primary DNS will be 130.13.41.45 and the secondary is like 130.13.41.47. If they do their own DNS that way, they'll probably do mine that way too. It just reveals a lack of knowledge/professionalism.

I've found lots of companies that do one of the two above but none both at the same time, AAARG!
    Nocster meets both of your requirements (contact them for 1 time upgrade fees). However, they don't setup DNS for you, you must do it yourself with your own server and IPs.

What does it matter if your nameserver IPs are on different subnets anyway? If you're that concerned with redundancy, host one nameserver in one datacenter, and one in another - That's the only way you'll get true redundancy, as if your datacenter is experiencing network issues, you'll be stuck, even if they're on 2 servers in the same datacenter. My suggestion for inexpensive DNS redundancy is to check out ZoneEdit.com.

-Josh

Originally posted by mkc
    Try talk to wholesaleinternet.com. Not positive if they do it, but they're usually pretty flexible in working deals. You can try asking for up front setup fees on upgrades.
    Thanks, I just took a look at their DNS. They're the worst so far! Their secondary DNS server is non-existant! Or at least my DNS server never heard of it, but more likely there's no DNS for their DNS! NS1.WHOLESALEINTERNET.COM

Re: Re: I have two main criteria in a dedicated server.

Originally posted by Joshua
    Nocster meets both of your requirements (contact them for 1 time upgrade fees). However, they don't setup DNS for you, you must do it yourself with your own server and IPs.

What does it matter if your nameserver IPs are on different subnets anyway?
    -Josh
    You're kidding! I have to provide my own DNS for my dedicated server?! The don't even give me secondary DNS? So they won't do for a dedicated server what other companies do for shared?

If an ISP has both nameservers in the same subnet (good to hear nocster doesn't), that says a lot.

Thanks tho, I put nocster on my list,

Thanks, I just took a look at their DNS. They're the worst so far! Their secondary DNS server is non-existant! Or at least my DNS server never heard of it, but more likely there's no DNS for their DNS! NS1.WHOLESALEINTERNET.COM
    That doesn't matter. They have ns1.wholesaleinternet.com and ns2.widns.com - Both are registered nameservers, and if you type "dig ns1.wholesaleinternet.com" on a Linux box, you will get an answer. Their ns2 server is hosted off network for redundancy, I see no problems with their setup. There is an A entry for ns1.wholesaleinternet.com on their ns1 nameserver, but not on their ns2 nameserver. Big deal . Their NS2 does exist and does answer for their main domain name.

-Josh

Re: Re: Re: I have two main criteria in a dedicated server.

You're kidding! I have to provide my own DNS for my dedicated server?! The don't even give me secondary DNS? So they won't do for a dedicated server what other companies do for shared?

If an ISP has both nameservers in the same subnet (good to hear nocster doesn't), that says a lot.

Thanks tho, I put nocster on my list,
    Most budget dedicated hosts do not provide secondary DNS. There are a few who do (Ev1Servers I believe), but not many.

-Josh

Rotwang - you want to much for to little and dont have a firm understanding of how the business works.
    Matthew Gunnin
    COO - Dataracks, Inc.
    Dataracks.net | Ultra-Reliable Hosting.

Originally posted by Matthew Gunnin
    Rotwang - you want to much for to little and dont have a firm understanding of how the business works.
    Care to expand on that? Or you just like thowing it out there, eh?

You got me on the dig, Joshua, thanks. My mistake was I thought nslookup would go deeper but it stops. Shows that I don't know windows very well, and I'm definately guilty of that.

I've been in the biz for ten years. (Before the web.) If you want to go pay $40/mo for 512mb rimm chips, go right ahead. I found ISP's that don't do that.

Care to expand on that? Or you just like thowing it out there, eh?

You got me on the dig, Joshua, thanks. My mistake was I thought nslookup would go deeper but it stops. Shows that I don't know windows very well, and I'm definately guilty of that.

I've been in the biz for ten years. (Before the web.) If you want to go pay $40/mo for 512mb rimm chips, go right ahead. I found ISP's that don't do that.
    One time fees are better in the long run - With Nocster, you'll spend more with 3 months of setup + monthly than a one-time payment. Mind you, the one-time payment will be a more than standard market pricing on RAM, but this is to cover failed parts. It's sort of like an extended warantee plan, charge a little extra, and only hope that 1 out of 50 or more clients need the part replaced eventually. By that time, they can cover the extra part, and profit some in the meantime .

-Josh

Originally posted by Joshua
    One time fees are better in the long run - With Nocster, you'll spend more with 3 months of setup + monthly than a one-time payment. Mind you, the one-time payment will be a more than standard market pricing on RAM, but this is to cover failed parts. It's sort of like an extended warantee plan, charge a little extra, and only hope that 1 out of 50 or more clients need the part replaced eventually. By that time, they can cover the extra part, and profit some in the meantime .

-Josh
    I agree wholeheartedly, we are on the same page, that's the way it should be done. Maybe I will go with nocster if I can overcome them not providing something as cheap and useful as secondary dns.

I agree wholeheartedly, we are on the same page, that's the way it should be done. Maybe I will go with nocster if I can overcome them not providing something as cheap and useful as secondary dns.
    Just use ZoneEdit.com or GraniteCanyon.com for secondary DNS - GraniteCanyon is more flexible, I believe. If you're getting a server with CPanel, CPanel is not setup to work with secondary DNS servers, as they use their own proprietary system. With GraniteCanyon, it would be very easy to copy your zone files and paste them directly into their interface.

-Josh