Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

how much $$ would you generally expect to make per server?

hypothetically speaking, let's say you have an 80GB HD. if you loosely charge approx. $5 per 500MB, that's about 160 accounts at $5 = $800. does that sound about right, or would that be shortchanging yourself?

again, those are loose figures.

what are your thoughts?
    Vagrant Web Hosting - U.S. / CANADA
    Website Hosting - Website Development - Content Management
    NEW: Windows Hosting w/ ASP.NET
      0 Not allowed!

You can't section out servers based on how much space they have. Some sites will take more server resources than others, and your server may not be able to support that many clients.

Hence, 160 accounts on a box may keep your load a 3, so you'll need to charge enough to be able to keep your load below 1.

A bad explanation, but I think it's enough to get your mind going.
      0 Not allowed!

I honestly think $400 per box is enough, but I'd prefer to base it on load rather than how much $$ each box is bringing in.
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
      0 Not allowed!

for $60 server, i've to get $200
    for $200 server, i've to get $550
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by fuse1982
    for $60 server, i've to get $200
    for $200 server, i've to get $550
    I'm confused as to what this means.
    Webmaster Forum • webmastertalk.net • Webmaster Community Forum
    Website Tools • domainfocus.com • Webmaster Tools | IP Lookup | Domain Whois | PageRank Checker | HTTP Header Info | Link Analysis | Favicon Generator
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by DanX
    You can't section out servers based on how much space they have. Some sites will take more server resources than others, and your server may not be able to support that many clients.

Hence, 160 accounts on a box may keep your load a 3, so you'll need to charge enough to be able to keep your load below 1.

A bad explanation, but I think it's enough to get your mind going.
    Hello,

I noticed somewhere else people were referring to load levels by numbers....IE 3 and 1.

How are these defined and what are you using to define these numbers?
      0 Not allowed!

Typing "uptime" via shell will display system/user loads. The lower the number, the better it is.
    Website Tools • domainfocus.com • Webmaster Tools | IP Lookup | Domain Whois | PageRank Checker | HTTP Header Info | Link Analysis | Favicon Generator
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Amdac
    Typing "uptime" via shell will display system/user loads. The lower the number, the better it is.
    what about the windows environment?
      0 Not allowed!

Windows always has high resource loads, no need for a command to tell you that
      0 Not allowed!

It does certainly depend on the type of server you are running, the type of clients you have, etc.

However, we usually try to net at least $1,500 per server. We can usually get around 200-250 domains on our servers without the loads getting out of control or space being used up. Again, this depends on the type of sites you host. A few heavily used message forums could tie a server up really quick.

In regards to space being used, most hosting companies offer 500mb or more per account, but use the numbers game to get more customers on a server. They figure the majority of people will use less than 100-50mb on their sites...with an 80 Gig hard drive, that leaves you pleny of space....then it just comes down to the load of the server itself.

We host a site that is a message forum for turtles and the guy gets millions of hits each month....That one was very taxing on one of our smaller servers (1.2GHZ) before we moved him to a newer server.

I personally feel that you should try to balance your load with the number of users as much as possible, but get the most you can out of the server. Use at least two hard drives so you have one for backup.

It makes no sense to only make $200-500 off of each server if you have to manage a ton of servers to make good money. The more servers you have, the more support people you have to have to manage/upgrade/keep software current, etc....that's of course unless you don't want to offer that great of service.

These are just my opinions though and of course are different for everyone.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by noimad1
    It makes no sense to only make $200-500 off of each server if you have to manage a ton of servers to make good money. The more servers you have, the more support people you have to have to manage/upgrade/keep software current, etc....that's of course unless you don't want to offer that great of service.
    Agreed. That's why most people that offer massive accounts for $2 don't last.
      0 Not allowed!

We aim for around $4,000 net per shared server per month.

- John C.
      0 Not allowed!

I'm green with envy John...

We are about $2300 net per server including additional revenue from graphics, site maintenance, site designs and domain registrations ....
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by JohnCrowley
    What's the average spec of those servers?
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up
      0 Not allowed!

- John C.

Thats nice, mind telling me how you do that

thanks, Yaser.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Yaser

- John C.

Thats nice, mind telling me how you do that
    By not charging $2/mth for accounts.
      0 Not allowed!

Use high end servers such as the following:

Dual Xeons w/ 2-4 GB RAM
    Dual Opterons w/ 2-4 GB RAM
    Synergy Blue LLC
    SonataWeb.net | SynergyBlue.com
    USA should so something about: http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/
      0 Not allowed!

I keep my sites per server ratio low to ensure good speed and performance. I aim for an average of $1200 per shared server and $400 per Reseller server. Reseller income is less as there is more domains allocated per account than there is with Shared hosting.

And I too do not charge $2 a month...
    Glen Millar
    Tyger Hosting Services
    http://www.tygerhosting.com
    Affordable Direct Admin Linux Hosting Since 2003
      0 Not allowed!

$15/mo X 250accounts = $3750/server

thats how you make $4K/mo/server
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi
      0 Not allowed!

It depends on the type of clients as they all take up different amounts of server resources.
      0 Not allowed!

Sorry, went to bed.
    Sure, here are all the secrets...

Goal is around 150 accounts per server (+/- 25). Specs are usually P4 2.x GHz, 1 GB RAM, SCSI drives, RH 6,7,... Linux servers.

Our lowest priced account is $20 per month, average price paid per shared account is around $40-$45 per month. So, I guess our average per server is close to $6,000 gross. Take out server expenses ($500ish per server - no budget DC), merchant account fees, etc... and it drops the net down to around $4-4.5k per server.

Our market is the small to medium sized business that is serious about ecommerce and their website. With a tight marketing plan and strategic partnerhships, combined with word of mouth advertising because of our service, we can charge the prices we do and still gain market share each month.

- John C.
      0 Not allowed!

Simply beautiful numbers there John.
      0 Not allowed!

I buy dual xeons with 2 GB of RAM and shoot for about 2K profit per box. That comes to about 250 accounts/machine.
    Download my eBook + Videos: Starting your own successful web hosting company.
    Learn from a web host with 7 years of experience.
      0 Not allowed!

John based in states?

i heared hosters in states are suffering from those $2 hosts coming up everyday...
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Bashar
    John based in states?

i heared hosters in states are suffering from those $2 hosts coming up everyday...
    For every new $2 host that emerges, another $2 host goes bankrupt.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast