Question Potential Spammer ?

This is the email I got

"We have a resume distribution company, where we have jobseekers submit their resumes into our database and we E-mail them off to about 1200 recruiters, we would like to set up an account with you but we need to know beforehand if you would allow us to send these E-mails via your servers, we also keep in touch with the job seekers through our weekly newsletters, these newsletter will also be sent Via e-mail through the server.( About 25K a day) Would this be a problem? "

"Please note that any e-mail we send through server will be Opt-in, the job seekers have submitted their resumes into our database and agreed to receive our newsletters and the recruiters have all asked to be on our list to receive resumes. We never send out Unsolicited E-mails. HOWEVER, Due to the number of customers we have and the amount of e-mails our service sends out, we do from time to time receive unjust complaints - I want to make sure that if you receive a complaint, you will give us the opportunity to prove that we did not send out UCE. I don't want my account terminated because someone forgot that they submitted their resume into our database and agreed to receive our newsletters."

They signed up and now they claim the limit needs to be set up to at least 75,000 a day. Is it even possible that a company wanting to spend only FIVE dollars a month has 75,000 emails to send a day that are not spam? This is so painfully obvious that its spam but he is trying to justify it... Do spammers that have signed up in the past with you, have they tried to "Justify" that their spamming was right and not against your Terms of Service? Do they just tend to stretch the truth or go by their own definition?
    Web Hosting: BlueCapacity.com
    Image Hosting: iownjoo.com
    AIM: bluecapacity | Email: Webmaster at bluecapacity.com

Not necessarily, if its a recruiting portal/website then you can expect them to send out a large amount of emails because thats how they would inform jobseekers and employers of new resumes, vacancies etc. Allow the person to explain as he said before shutting him down, you can monitor the type of emails he sends to see whether he is sending appropriate emails though this might be invading privacy but you as a webhost need to monitor that no one violates your TOS. thanks
    "Web Hosting is not just about selling space, it is about facilitating customers needs with your plans and supporting the customer for a long lasting mutually beneficial relationship."- Yaser

Hello.

Personally GalacNet run a WebMail service and its free. So we have some experience in this field A little experience actually.

No one... and I say again NO ONE will be sending out like 75,000 emails a day if its a personal account holder.

But as they said they are emailing resumes to their recruiters, one way to do it is to LOCK what they are sending and verify the recipients.
    Say that you need to verify the recievers on thei service and request for a undisclosed distribution list OR those emails. then randomly select a few to test out the response. Then dump the rest in a email verifier to see if its legal.\the program will tell you IF the emails are working. Most SPAM companies will use a huge list that have millions of emails BUT 99% are non-existence.

Hope this helps
    -=- GQ Hong -=-
    GalacNet WebMaster

I might just give him a complete refund even if he is a spammer because he tried to ask me first and not do it behind my back. But yeah I am waiting his response to my questions.

Good luck with your business prospect
    Hope all goes well.
    -=- GQ Hong -=-
    GalacNet WebMaster

If for ex: someone did it behind the webhost's back, refunding his/her money is necessary? since they violated the TOS.
    "Web Hosting is not just about selling space, it is about facilitating customers needs with your plans and supporting the customer for a long lasting mutually beneficial relationship."- Yaser

Originally posted by Yaser
    If for ex: someone did it behind the webhost's back, refunding his/her money is necessary? since they violated the TOS.
    I usually wonít refund if they broke the TOS. I review things like that on a case to case basis and see what the best thing to do is. If it really hasnít hurt me or put me at risk I tend to refund them anyway depending on the situation. This case is different though because he did talk to me about sending out quite a bit of emails at first and said they would not be spam but we might have different definitions of the word

I got this exact same email today, can you tell me what happened and if this is legit? I mean with so many users he could afford to not use AOL for company related business right? And he would also mention somewhere in the email his website or something no?

"Hello

Before we set up an account with your company I have a question. We have a resume distribution company, where we have jobseekers submit their resumes into our database and we E-mail them off to about 1200 recruiters, we would like to set up an account with you but we need to know beforehand if you would allow us to send these E-mails via your servers, we also keep in touch with the job seekers through our weekly newsletters, these newsletter will also be sent Via e-mail through the server. Would this be a problem?

Please note that any e-mail we send through server will be Opt-in, the job seekers have submitted their resumes into our database and agreed to receive our newsletters and the recruiters have all asked to be on our list to receive resumes. We never send out Unsolicited E-mails. HOWEVER, Due to the number of customers we have and the amount of e-mails our service sends out, we do from time to time receive unjust complaints - I want to make sure that if you receive a complaint, you will give us the opportunity to prove that we did not send out UCE. I don't want my account terminated because someone forgot that they submitted their resume into our database and agreed to receive our newsletters.

As far as our mailimgs, we send out our mailings at the end of the day around midnight, Our mailing script allows us to send out the mail quickly without much strain on the server.. our usual mailing size is between 3 and 15 thousand a day depending on the number of new signups and newsletters being sent out that day.. AGAIN - Any e-mails we send out will be to people who signed up at our site and were OP-IN verified. WE DO NOT PURCHASE E-MAIL ADDRESSES..

Please contact me at [email protected] and let me know if we can do business together

Thanks
    Scott"

It's sticky.
    Something about that emial sends up a bit of a redflag. I wouldn't deny service to them, but I would put my email on their list to see what exactly goes out on their weekly newsletter. Then, judge to see how easy it is to unsubscribe. I would also chekc out their website and stuff.

If things seem on the level, let them go for a while, but if you get a lot of complaint, suspend them and ask for explanation.
    Please apply for our current job openings: Link

Just setup an outgoing filter to copy any spam like content to a folder, have someone check it every few days. Make sure you a have currect verbage in your policies or be sure to inform him you are doing this or it could be a voilation of the privacy act. If he's running a lagitimate business he won't have a problem with you running an outgoing spam filter.
    Area51.mn VPS, Dedicated & Colocated Servers.
    Area51 Computers Custom Servers & Gaming Systems. (Since 1998)
    NetAffect Email & Web Hosting Services. (Since 1996)
    Quality Systems & Service Since 1996

Glad you posted here (to the O/P and also hddweb). Please continue to post with regard to this so we all know what is going on in case this is turning out to be spam. I am sure many hosts will benefit from the knowledge of what ensued and how it was handled.

-Justin
    Justin Schurawlow :: Technology Enthusiast
    Schurawlow PC Repair
    Computer Services for the Lehigh Valley area
    Blog :: The Justin Schurawlow Blog

Today we also received the exact same email.

We are going to ask for their email list and verify it. If we decide to let them on to our servers and considering the amount of emails they want send each day we will more than likely ask them to pay for our top hosting plan . I suspect they will not want to do that

Neil

Did this company actually sign up with any of you?

It's a year later and I just recieved the same email.

Just curious as to any followup?
    Vagrant Web Hosting - U.S. / CANADA
    Website Hosting - Website Development - Content Management
    NEW: Windows Hosting w/ ASP.NET

I wouldn't even let this account on a shared hosting server. Recently, someone asked us if they would be able to send out a large amount of emails per day, around 30,000. It's some email marketing company in the UK apparently, and they have a type of mailing list where they send periodic offers. Anyway, we suggested a VPS, which he signed up for. I must say, the first time he tried, it just about killed exim. he got it to work after a lot of twiquing, but I'm saying I wouldn't want that as a shared account.

They contacted us as well - after we spoked with them - they said "They CANNOT guarantee that here will NOT be any issues related to FALSE (as they said) SPAM reports".

We decided not to work with them.

If they are contacting so many hosts all at once and not getting back to answer all questions in a timely manner it sounds like they are hoping to find a host that will say "no problem sign up now" with no questions asked.

I can't say if they are spammers or not but we would not touch that one at all. If you okay them to sign up and there is a problem you would have to refund them since you okay'd the account and they might fight you on the TOS issue.

To me if someone has a large enough website to need to send out 75000 emails a day they can afford a dedicated server (a cheap one would do) or a mailing list service that specializes in this type of mailing. A site like this has no reason to be on a shared server. Can you imagine the possible number of bounced messages this would cause and fill up the mail queue.

Again this is just my opinion.

Robert
    Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.