Arrow NEWS BREAK :: 3 Bomb lbasts reported in Athens, more info to follow shortly

Article extract >>

Three bomb blasts have hit the Greek capital Athens, Reuters news agency has quoted the country's police as saying.

End extract <<

Athens, Greece??? hmm at 4 or 5 in the moring, civilians can't be the target can they? I've hearnd nothing suggesting this but the Olympic Games venues and stadia could be the target. I'm not too sure really at this time, just hypothesising; if it was the Olympic venues then there will hopefully be few casualties.

Opinions?? Comments??

Critic,
    Last edited by Critic; 05-04-2004 at 09:56 PM.
    The 9 words of life quote -
    "Act with honour, seek justice, die true, remembered well."
    GO LDN 2012 ~ AIM = Critic News Info

Thats were the olympics are being held right?
    Reyox Communications - Powerful, Reliable Hosting
    GameHostingTalk - A new forum about Video Game Servers

Brad Baker www.rochen.com
    Rochen - True Premium Shared & Reseller Hosting since 2000
    Better Support: Expert support 24/7 from Red Hat and Cisco Certified Engineers
    Joomla! Core Team Member Joomla Tutorials

Originally posted by Reyox Stephen
    yep :\
    [COLOR=dark-blue]Matt Carpenter[/COLOR]
    Offer your clients a brandable FTP upload utility

Originally posted by Reyox Stephen
    Correct, but the games are months away.

Ok, its not the Olympic venues.

Update -

Three bomb blasts have hit a central Athens police station, Reuters news agency has quoted a Greek police official as saying.

It is not clear if there are any casualties or damage to the building.

The police official said authorities had received an anonymous warning that the three explosive devices would go off at the police station in Kalithea.

Greece is due to host the Olympics in August, amid fears the games could be a target for political violence.

End extract <<

With the police being the target i'm now a bit more inclined to think there could be a domestic source for the attack. Reminents of November 15 maybe but this seems way out of their league.

I'd be interested to know what timechange.com thinks.

Critic,

Critic beat me to it.

EDIT> Does Greece have troops in Iraq? If they do, than this might be the same type of thing as in Spain, but in spain they tried to kill people, rather than here.
    Ask about custom logo design! :: TalkSka.com - Your source for Ska News and Forums. Join today!
    AIM=IQPhat
    [email protected]
    EMAIL=Use the board's email system, please.

Originally posted by Xshare
    Critic beat me to it.
    I caught it a bit late i thought, i expected to see a growing thread on the issue already with updates as i was a bit sketchy on the details to say the least.

It didn't all go smoothly though, i heard it on the radio and jumped up from where i was and ran for the door, stumbled slightly and careered into a some shelves but my head bounced off like nothing had happened and got to the computer to find out what was going on and scanned the news radio stations.

It doesn't matter who breaks the news really but what has occurred does.

EDIT> Does Greece have troops in Iraq? If they do, than this might be the same type of thing as in Spain, but in spain they tried to kill people, rather than here.
    I don't know if Greece has troops deplo7ed or not i'm afraid, i've heard that there was an anonymous warning, doesn't fit the Islamic Extremist terrorism MO really. If they'd tried something, i'm sure they would have waited till the rush hour or the Olympics or if now attacked a residential area. November 15, hmm i dnno

Oh forgot the link earler..

For more info :: http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...133976,00.html

Critic,
    Last edited by Critic; 05-04-2004 at 10:15 PM.

Furter Update -

Article extract >>

Three bomb blasts have hit a central Athens police station, Greek police have said.

One officer was slightly hurt but the explosion caused no casualties and authorities have cordoned off the area around the station in the Kalithea area.

The police official said authorities had received an anonymous warning that the three explosive devices would go off at the police station.

A spokesman told Reuters news agency: "The first two explosions went off in a span of five minutes. The third exploded half an hour later as bomb experts were still looking for it."

Greece is due to host the Olympics in August, amid fears the games could be a target for political violence.

Kalithea is near several hotels to be used by Olympic officials during the games in August.

The spokesman said: "The police are treating this matter very seriously with only three months to go until the games.

"You have three sophisticated time bombs going off outside a police station, that's serious enough for police."

The number of bomb attacks in Greece had decreased after the dismantling of the guerrilla group November 17 in 2002.

End extract <<

Full article, no link

Good to hear that everyone was able to evacuate the building although it was pretty tight from what i've heard.

Also want to emphasise that the domestic Greek Terrorist group is called November 17 and not 15. I could've claimed it as a typo but no, i was wrong , 17, must remember that next time.

Critic,