Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

fastest servers - lunarpages

i need a new host for a site that will be viewed in asia.

1000 - 1500 space for starters
    40 - 50 gb transfer
    at least 6 database
    unix linux
    cpanel first choice
    plesk second

i've been checking out several host, but so far lunarpages has the fastest servers. the problem is, they don't allow vbulletin on their servers.

my second choice is psychz.net they're pretty fast too, but nobody seems to know much about them or their network. they claim to be based in san francisco. even with psychz is ddihosting, but ddi offers only plesk.

i prefer servers based in western states only since hosting it in the east or midwest adds 3 - 4 extra hops which matters alot if you're outside the country. int'l traffic seems to always enter in san jose anyway.

midphase, bluehost, hostrocket, i found to be really slow. so any other suggestions would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by berlin; 05-04-2004 at 12:22 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

i almost decided to go with psychz but when i tried to call, their number doesn't work. lolz.
      0 Not allowed!

berlin, can you convert to phpbb?
      0 Not allowed!

i've been checking out several host, but so far lunarpages has the fastest servers. the problem is, they don't allow vbulletin on their servers.
    I believe that they don't allow busy forums on their shared servers. Most hosts do the same.
    P4HOST.COM -- Specialize in quality Web Hosting solutions.
    Affordable -- Prices are very comparative
    Reliable -- Very low load average guaranteed. 60 day money back. Fast Support --Support Forum -- Providing hosting since 2003
      0 Not allowed!

Not everyone is a fan or wants to use phpBB. PhpBB can use as much resources as vB or IPB.

Originally posted by Kathleen|LP
    berlin, can you convert to phpbb?
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by berlin
    i almost decided to go with psychz but when i tried to call, their number doesn't work. lolz.
    we'll go ahead with this guys anyways. also i've had my vbulletin for over 3 years and the 3rd version btw is awesome.
    Last edited by berlin; 05-04-2004 at 08:09 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

How are you judging server speed? If it's by the host's page load time, that isn't a very good measure....
    Laurence Flynn @ HostNEXUS.com
    Managed WordPress Hosting Solutions
    Focused on speed. Obsessed with security.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by NexDog
    How are you judging server speed? If it's by the host's page load time, that isn't a very good measure....
    Good point since web hosts usually don't host their own web site in the same data center as their clients production servers.
      0 Not allowed!

Also each page is different. Some hosts use flash on their pages and that takes time to load, others don't. Better ask for a test file...
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by RossMAN
    Good point since web hosts usually don't host their own web site in the same data center as their clients production servers.
    Just out of curiosity, what do you base this on? I've never heard this before, nor known it to be true.

-Brendan
      0 Not allowed!

It is a fairly common to see smaller hosts have their forums/support/etc in a different datacenter, however I think the larger hosts that have 50-60 servers and actually lease datacenter space tend to keep theirs inhouse.

Actually Lunarpages was off their main network for quite some time, I'm not sure where it is now
    Nick Nelson
    Sr. Director & GM, VAS
    Demand Media
    425.298.2282 nn@demandmedia.com
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by inteltechs
    I believe that they don't allow busy forums on their shared servers...
    So, the question is how 60~80GB/month makes sense? Should we have a site specialized in downloading? I don't think everyone is interested in doing that business, most of us have forums.

Now I understand before we look at monthly bandwidth offered by a hosting company, that's not all, we have also to make clear if you can spend all bandwidh in a month or not, that's meaning to be aware if you can run a forum or whatever scripts on their server or not, and you also must be aware what forums software you can use on that server, eg phpBB, IPB, etc. You may not find on their companies homepage, but you'd better ask for it. Because even if you have just used 10GB for a month, and your bandwidth limitation is 60GB, if your forum is somehow "causing server high loads", you should consider that they might suspend your website. So how we gonna use the rest bandwidth? Open a website offer downloading or just to store something (just jocking).
      0 Not allowed!

Well, lets say that a server comes with 1000GB of bandwidth. And let's say that the host has a number websites on that server, with different quotas. If your quota is 100GB then "in theory" you should also be allowed to use up to 10% of the CPU.

However, if every website on that server uses its share of CPU that would total to 100%, or in this case the server would be doomed. So an account with 100GB should be allowed to use, at most, 5% of the CPU's time in a given month, as long as it doesn't have spikes of usage and use the CPU so much that the stability of the server is compromised.

In reality hosts will allow some of the users to use more than their fair share of monthly CPU time as long as the server remains stable. Reason? To allow them to use their bandwidth quota.

Again, what is very important is that the website doesn't have "spikes" of usage. For example if you run an ad in a popular newsletter you might have a lot of users over a very short period of time, which could affect the server's performance or even its stability. Do this a few times and most hosts would ask you to move (to a dedicated server perhaps) because of "resource" usage abuse.
      0 Not allowed!

i don't see the point of having the fastest servers when some of the more popular scripts are not supported?
      0 Not allowed!

Probably be best to follow what other's mentioned and use the mboard's search feature to find a service that will allow the script you want to use.
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.
      0 Not allowed!

Re: fastest servers - lunarpages

Originally posted by berlin
    i've been checking out several host, but so far lunarpages has the fastest servers.
    How do you define fast? Apache/server performance can not be seen externally (i.e. doing traceroute/pings).

int'l traffic seems to always enter in san jose anyway.
    Not true. Depending on where the location is. Internationl traffic from Europe will enter US east coast (New York, etc).
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - Enterprise Cloud Infrastructure: Cloud Shared and Reseller, Cloud VPS, and Cloud Hybrid Server
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by RossMAN
    We host our main website on our network simply because we don't trust there is any other network more stable than ours In fact, we do host quite a few other company's main website; they must also agree with us about our network
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - Enterprise Cloud Infrastructure: Cloud Shared and Reseller, Cloud VPS, and Cloud Hybrid Server
      0 Not allowed!

Visiting a host's web site is not a good measurement of "server speed" or performance, since there may be many factors about the design of that web site, as well as your own Internet connection, that will contribute to the response time. The route your connection takes will depend on both your exact location (your ISP's location) and the hosting server location. This could vary greatly from place to place.

You could try requesting several example customer sites and also run tracerts to get some idea of the response you are getting, but there are many factors involved in server performance. You could have the best server hardware in the world, but if the pipeline to the Internet is only DSL and you have many customers using that machine, you will have issues with efficiency. You should take note of the type of connection the host is using, and the quality of bandwidth they are getting.
    JC, www.webii.net
    Premium Hosting Services Since 1996
    Custom Development- www.webxess.net
      0 Not allowed!

I agree with example customer sites.

Another option is to ask the host for IP addresses of there servers to ping.

We are more than willing to give those out and after reading this I'm half tempted to post them on our forums and give test download files for each server.

I agree loading a hosts site is not a good test. We have multiple servers and we try to keep the server with our site on it with low loads and very few customers.

Reasoning: Our support, live chat, and forums must always be operational. Things go wrong, that is a fact of life, but we have to be able to service our customers no matter what happens. That is also the reason we have our site located on a backup server elsewhere and are looking into redundant DNS Configuratoin for rollover. All because no matter what happens our customers have to know what is going on.

Many hosts feel the same way.
      0 Not allowed!

At the end... were you able to find any good host with vB or not? Also make sure you describe your requirements to host very clearly before ordering...(and save the reply mail )
    Wholesale Domain Prices for Retail Customers - Rushtoweb.com
      0 Not allowed!

We evaluate and re evaluate what scripts are allowed and not allowed on our servers. This is to ensure the fastest, most stable environment possible. As we have shared servers, we have to maintain policies for the greater good of all on the server. We do not, however, have a laundry list of disallowed scripts, just a couple that have proven to cause issues on our servers. The vast majority of popular scripts are allowed.

I apologize if this is inconvenient for some people but generally we can find some work around to get what you want accomplished with a more optimal system. We are also continually looking to add more features to our systems to allow our customers more functionality.

We have a forum available for our customers where they can trade links and get recommendations. We also have a listing of testimonials. If our customers are happy with the speeds, you're pretty safe plus we are always available to assist when needed.

Please let us know what you decided on and why. If there's something we can do to improve our services, we'll be happy to look into it.
      0 Not allowed!

We evaluate and re evaluate what scripts are allowed and not allowed on our servers.
    Good to hear it.

Please let us know what you decided on and why. If there's something we can do to improve our services, we'll be happy to look into it.
    Very nice attitude! I know you mean it as I've seen Max adjusting policies after a discussion on these boards.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by ldcdc
    Good to hear it.

Very nice attitude! I know you mean it as I've seen Max adjusting policies after a discussion on these boards.
    thats the attitude every hosting & datacenter provider should have and we be a much HAPPY world
      0 Not allowed!

Well, a search in WHT brings so many happy LP customers...
    That tells somethng about their hosting
    Wholesale Domain Prices for Retail Customers - Rushtoweb.com
      0 Not allowed!

I would think that the thread starter has already found a host since he posted this request almost a month ago....Just a thought...
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast