Mac OS 10.4: Tiger

Steve Jobs to Kick Off Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference 2004 with Preview of Mac OS X "Tiger"

CUPERTINO, California— May 4, 2004— Apple® today announced that Steve Jobs will kick off its Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) with a keynote on Monday, June 28, 2004, beginning at 10:00 a.m. at San Francisco’s Moscone West. This year's keynote will include a preview of “Tiger,” the next major release of Mac® OS X.

The five-day event, which runs from June 28 to July 2, will host close to 200 technical sessions with new content designed to serve a wide range of Mac developers, including an in-depth look at the latest Mac OS X technologies, hands-on labs with the latest Mac systems, expanded tracks on Enterprise IT and a dedicated track for QuickTime® developers and content creators.

Other activities at Apple’s WWDC 2004 include:

an in-depth look at Mac OS X technologies, from its open source foundation to innovative application frameworks, next generation development tools and its industry leading graphics and imaging capabilities. WWDC is the place to learn why Mac OS X is fueling the innovation of both the desktop and server market;

an expanded Enterprise IT track specifically designed to help enterprise developers, system administrators and IT managers understand the core technologies that will be delivered in Tiger and fully leverage them in their environments;

an enhanced QuickTime and Digital Media track for developers and content creators looking to explore the latest in multimedia for mobile devices with 3GPP, best practices for content delivery with QuickTime Streaming Server, and new tools and techniques for creating and delivering exceptional digital media content;

expanded hands-on labs with the latest Mac systems, where developers can port and test their code and get technical assistance from the Apple engineers directly responsible for the technologies;

comprehensive sessions providing a roadmap and technical details on Application Technologies, Development Tools, Graphics and Media, Hardware and OS Foundations; and

special events and activities such as the Pre-Conference Workshops, Apple Design Awards, Apple Campus Bash, WWDC Exhibit Fair and Special Interest Groups.
    I wonder what they could possibly be putting into OS X which isn't already in.

This development speed is putting Microsoft to shame. Apple can release a significantly updated operating system every 12-16 months, whereas it's been 4 years from Microsoft so far, and longhorn isn't even nearly done.

Oh, and I love the name 'Tiger'.. roar!

EDIT: typo in title
    Gone.

I bet it'll be yet another expensive yearly upgrade to OS X then.

It'll be $129 for the full version, of course. Not exactly expensive, considering windows pro-series OS's are $250+.
    Gone.

Well it won't be free but then Apple's programmers don't work for free so why would it be?

I'm looking forward to it even though we are very happy with 10.3. Every new release of OS X so far has improved the performance and functionality of my old G4/400 and my wife's G4/867 dualie.

Yeah but the point is I don't consider the upgrades big enough to warrant that level of cost.

Sure 10.0 to 10.3 is big but 10.2 to 10.3?

Well, hopefully it's a nice release. I'm thinking of going back to using a Mac.

Don't worry. Even when OS X 10.4 is release, most apps still run in 10.2 and 10.3, so you are not forced to upgraded.

10.4 is suppose to put more linux services in OS X I think.

10.2 to 10.3 is a huge upgrade. Panther simply flies with everything you do. And Expose plus the fast user switching was reason enough for me. And I can't guarantee this, but doesn't the OS come with iLife?

I'm excited to hear about Tiger. I'm sure it'll take a while, and we'll go through a lot of Tuesdays before it's released. That's the fun though, right?

I've got both 10.2 and 10.3 and don't really notice a speed difference, sure the look is a bit different and I think the new Finder is easier to use, but for $129 upgrade?

I don't have multiple users on my mac, so fast user switching is not a 'feature' for me and I don't really use expose either, but then on an iBook the resolution isn't really high enough to take advantage of display all windows, etc.

Most of iLife is in 10.2, I've got iMovie, iTunes, etc although not GarageBand (not that I've ever loaded it... except to delete the sample files).

Re: Mac OS 10.4: Tiger

Originally posted by phision.com

This development speed is putting Microsoft to shame. Apple can release a significantly updated operating system every 12-16 months, whereas it's been 4 years from Microsoft so far, and longhorn isn't even nearly done.

EDIT: typo in title
    What are you talking about? Putting MS to Shame? Ha I laugh at that statement.

Windows 92, 98, ME, XP, 2000, 20003 were all released within 2 years apart. It took Apple how long to release OS X after OS 9 wsas released? And OS 8?

The only people being put to shame is Mac. And once "LongHorn" is released. MS will put Mac back in their place.. back in the 1980's.
    Last edited by Rob83; 05-05-2004 at 08:01 AM.

It'll be $129 for the full version, of course. Not exactly expensive, considering windows pro-series OS's are $250+.
    Maybe in your part of the world, but here in the U.S. Windows XP PRO is $199.

Re: Re: Mac OS 10.4: Tiger

Originally posted by Rob83

The only people being put to shame is Mac. And once "LongHorn" is released. MS will put Mac back in their place.. back in the 1980's.
    Have you actually run the latest milestone of Longhorn? Personally I can't see what the big deal is yet.

Re: Re: Re: Mac OS 10.4: Tiger

Originally posted by Rich2k
    Have you actually run the latest milestone of Longhorn? Personally I can't see what the big deal is yet.
    The current lastest version of "Longhorn" is nothing compared to what it will do when it's released sometime in 2007 (2008).

A main reason why people blame MS for being so "insecure", is because MS released a new OS every 2 years. Now, they are taking the correct steps to ensure the security of their new OS.

MS is no longer just a software company of the famous "Windows", now they are everything from an OS to a gaming company.

And don't be surprised if MS starts developing their own computer systems

Hey Rob, Why can Apple release something every 12-18 months and it can be secure, where as MS used to release something every 2 years, and couldn't get it secure? Honestly, it sounds like you've never touched a new mac for an extended period of time, until you do I'd recommend you shut your mouth. Honestly, I used to think macs were the worst, until I owned a newer iBook, and I'd have to say I'd convert from windows to OS X ANY day. (If I had the money for a G5)

Yes but it's rumoured that MS are even going to drop WinFS (well shift it to the next version) just to it out the door.

People who paid for their new renewal license are getting almighty annoyed that they are not seeing any major updates for their money.

The excuse that they are making it secure is not good enough, it should have been secure in the first place!

Longhorn at the moment seems to eat resources (yes I know that it has all the debugging enabled), it eats hugely into the screen and at the moment all the new features seem pointless apart from a reskinning which isn't really necessary.

I never thought in a million years I'd be saying this sort of thing, I was a MS defender when I was installing XP betas (whistler) a few years back, but after using OS X 10.3 (and 10.2 for that matter) I can say it truely is a better OS to use and is securer and more stable to boot.

Sure I still use Windows more than OSX, because I have to and it's how I earn money.. but I still prefer OSX.
    Last edited by Rich2k; 05-05-2004 at 11:05 AM.

[Steve-Sawchuks-Computer:~] steve% uptime
    11:09AM up 33 days, 10:33, 3 users, load averages: 0.95, 0.95, 0.95

I was even in Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Tampa, and on a couple planes for some of those days.
    Last edited by Steve Saw; 05-05-2004 at 11:18 AM.

Re: Mac OS 10.4: Tiger

<snip>
    How about mounting SCP/SFTP as a drive? Who uses username/password FTP anymore?

What is bigger than a tiger? Lion? But then what? all I can think of is smaller cats.

Originally posted by Hosemeyer
    Hey Rob, Why can Apple release something every 12-18 months and it can be secure, where as MS used to release something every 2 years, and couldn't get it secure? Honestly, it sounds like you've never touched a new mac for an extended period of time, until you do I'd recommend you shut your mouth. Honestly, I used to think macs were the worst, until I owned a newer iBook, and I'd have to say I'd convert from windows to OS X ANY day. (If I had the money for a G5)
    First let me answer your first question:

MS Windows owned a good 80% of the market and because of this, it's harder for MS to find and locate ALL security holes and bugs. MS offers PLENTY of patches to secure your machine and because people fail to secure their machines, they automatically blame MS for being insecure. And if you're gonna say "Well MS Should be secure from the minute it's installed", the answer is No. I don't want an OS That automatically secures itself. I want one to let ME makes the choices. Computers aren't for people who don't know how to use them, they're for people who DO. And thats why we have so many viruses out there, because of these incompetent people who don't know how to secure their systems.. and don't care.

About 5 wks ago I had a client bring his machine to me because it had 170 viruses. I was able to clean his machine and when he came to pick it up, you know what he asked me? What's a good place to download free music. *#&$& ! He got those viruses by DOWNLOADING crap from kazaa and crap.

Now in regards of me never touching a mac. I not only have a G3 (Running OS 9.1), I have an iMac (1Ghz, 512mb of ram, OS X) and I have 2 G5's (1 is a 1.8Ghz wth 1GB of ram and the other is a Dual 2.0Ghz wth 2.5GB of Ram).

OS X is a great OS, don't get me wrong. But my Windows XP Machine is great and while I do love Macs, I find myself perferring Windows because of the applications I use and because it's much easier to fix something on a Windows.

In regards to OS X being secure, well it's as secure as Linux and Windows, except windows gets targetted more because it has more users. Linux has just as many problems, but because it's Open Source, those issues are located faster and quickly fixed by anyone who knows their way around the code.

I am glad to see that Mac is making a comeback, if they lowered the price, they would get even more people.

Sad thing is, it's hard for apple to lower the price.

Their profit margins are some of the lowest in the industry - i beleive the average apple machine costs 75% of what you pay to manufacture, and apple pump another 20ish % into R&D (in comparison dell is 0.5%)

OS X does have some security problems, usually in the unix apps coupled with it. However, the severity of these problems is nothing like the severity of those in windows. Very few allow for anyone to do much real damage.

E.g. recent apple security update:

Security Update 2004-05-03 delivers a number of security enhancements and is recommended for all Macintosh users. This update includes the following components:

AFP Server
    CoreFoundation
    IPSec

Additionally, Security Update 2004-04-05 has been incorporated into this security update. Those components are:

CUPS Printing
    libxml2
    Mail
    OpenSSL
    Gone.

Sad thing is, it's hard for apple to lower the price.

Their profit margins are some of the lowest in the industry - i beleive the average apple machine costs 75% of what you pay to manufacture, and apple pump another 20ish % into R&D (in comparison dell is 0.5%)

OS X does have some security problems, usually in the unix apps coupled with it. However, the severity of these problems is nothing like the severity of those in windows. Very few allow for anyone to do much real damage.

E.g. recent apple security update:

Security Update 2004-05-03 delivers a number of security enhancements and is recommended for all Macintosh users. This update includes the following components:

AFP Server
    CoreFoundation
    IPSec

Additionally, Security Update 2004-04-05 has been incorporated into this security update. Those components are:

CUPS Printing
    libxml2
    Mail
    OpenSSL
    In no way do I feel that mac's are over priced, because they aren't. But I think if Mac took a risk and just offered them at small profit margin and let their mac % increase, i think that would be a great start.

In regards to OS X being secure, well it's as secure as Linux and Windows, except windows gets targetted more because it has more users. Linux has just as many problems, but because it's Open Source, those issues are located faster and quickly fixed by anyone who knows their way around the code.
    Most of it is down to how people use Windows.

Almost everyone I know who has Windows XP has their user account as a local machine administrator, that means you can pretty much do anything on the machine... but it also means so can a virus or trojan.

OS X on the other hand (and other Unix based systems) don't let your account have root access and always ask for a password. (well on Linux you can log in a root but you'd be mad to do so... that option thankfully doesn't exist in the OS X login screen)

Until Microsoft stop users running with full admin rights, Unix based systems will always be more secure.

(Sure there are other security holes but the majority of viruses and trojans run that way... also another reason why there are hardly any Mac OS X viruses)

Face it MS may be targetted lots but they still have a very buggy system.

windows gets targetted more because it has more users.
    I am so tired of hearing this totally incorrect sorry excuse. Windows gets targeted because the *default* install had services and listeners running that shouldn't have been. The one that showed up this week is yet another example of this bonehead behavior. OS X and *nix in general have security holes too but unless you specifically turn on the services involved, you're okay.

Originally posted by bodypainter
    I am so tired of hearing this totally incorrect sorry excuse. Windows gets targeted because the *default* install had services and listeners running that shouldn't have been. The one that showed up this week is yet another example of this bonehead behavior. OS X and *nix in general have security holes too but unless you specifically turn on the services involved, you're okay.
    Which goes back to incompetent users.

Which goes back to incompetent users.
    No. Users shouldn't be expected to know that some obscure service is running as a listener or that some inappropriate port is open by default from the first time the computer is turned on.

This would be a good time to call up a comparison to running a car.. people who drive cars shouldn't be expected to know what's under the hood, nor the same with computers.

Also, on Windows boxes, you have to run as admin to do any administrative tasks or install programs.. Unix/Linux/Mac just has you login as root in terminal, does its dirty work, and logs back out. MUCH easier to work, and MUCH harder to do 'bad' things.

I could be terribly wrong, though.

Originally posted by DanX
    This would be a good time to call up a comparison to running a car.. people who drive cars shouldn't be expected to know what's under the hood, nor the same with computers.

Also, on Windows boxes, you have to run as admin to do any administrative tasks or install programs.. Unix/Linux/Mac just has you login as root in terminal, does its dirty work, and logs back out. MUCH easier to work, and MUCH harder to do 'bad' things.

I could be terribly wrong, though.
    Bad analogy. When you drive a car you have a license, you know what your car can and can't do. You also know that when there is "smoke" coming out of the muffler, you need oil.

People with windows should set Window Update to auto update. That way you do not need to worry about keeping it patched as it does it for you. I have not had any type of virus in a long long time.
    Alvin

Sorry, but Windows Update does not protect you against viruses and trojans. If it did, why would so many invest in anti-virus software.

Originally posted by hycloud
    Sorry, but Windows Update does not protect you against viruses and trojans. If it did, why would so many invest in anti-virus software.
    This is where MS is always blamed.

If MS automatically installs anti-virus on EU computers, people scream that this is a monopoly.

If MS doesn't, people scream that their OS is insecure.

An Apple official announced that the pace of OS X upgrades (after Tiger, presumably) will be slowing. I think the fast pace of releases so far has been to work out all the bugs and inefficiencies of 10.0.

I found the 10.3 upgrade to be very worthwhile, especially for my old B&W G3 350Mhz; makes it much faster than 10.2. It seems almost as speedy as my G5; till I do something like use a photoshop filter, read a large file, or (god forbid) attempt to play MoH
    Last edited by systame; 06-08-2004 at 08:09 PM.