Selling hosting locally or statewide?

I will be starting to resell hosting plans and become a domains name reseller in my country of residence, Australia. I cant decide whether to target customers in the city of Adelaide where i live trying to attract business from local customers. I could buy a domain name for my website for example www.adelaidehosting.com.au . This would probably be easier to advertise on google adwords for people searching for keywords "hosting"and"adelaide". Or would it be better to buy a domain for example www.aushost.com.au (this has already been taken) and go for the larger market australiawide of a population of 20,000,000 as opposed to adelaides 1,000,000 population. There is alot of people in australia trying to sell hosting and i feel the adelaide market might be the best approach. Has anyone here tried a similar approach in their hometowns? Advise would be appreciated.

thats what i wanna try to do, start locally, but need a license in canada, so i read, and i guess it'll be better, because theres 2 in my little city, and they charge alot, so most business sites i see are hosted with them, but most businesses don't have websites, but anyway, this is just my opinion, do locally, and get a good deal to defeat your competitors.

Your always better to start local and then branch out to nation wide and global.
    Knock on a few doors, get some money coming in then branch out. Find people that are hosting with their ISP always a good target since they normally pay higher rates. Look for Telstra customers they are really paying and getting bad service.

Re: Selling hosting locally or statewide?

Originally posted by sgwilks
    . . . go for the larger market australiawide of a population of 20,000,000 as opposed to adelaides 1,000,000 population.

Ok, 1 million folks and out of that 1 million, how many of them would need your service? Narrow that down to around 1%. That's your market, and the great thing about it is that it's easy for you to reach, than trying to market to the whole planet. That's your fishing pond - the fish are in the pond - you need to setup your rods, bait etc, and catch your fish.
    There is alot of people in australia trying to sell hosting and i feel the adelaide market might be the best approach.
    IMO, you're right. Now get cracking!! You have a 1,000 client goal by Christmas.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

You could charge more with local customers, but they are more work. People like seeing their money go to local business. It is also easier to do web design work for local custoemrs. If you want to have thousands of $5/mo customers, you go interneational. For fewer $20/mo customers that also pay for web work, go local.

Thanks for the advise, local it is. Have you any advise whether to make the focus of the website on hosting or domain name registering, i will be offering both but with an emphasis on either hosting or names?

Can't really tell. Try a bundle
    Because domain names don't eran much now, use it as an insentive for people to join. Maybe like 2 years pre-paid hosting and get 2 years domain name FREE!

Or something like that.
    -=- GQ Hong -=-
    GalacNet WebMaster

Local will be your better option. But you could brand your business two ways and then attack the local market with different pricing while at the same time you are tackling the state/world market.
    Web Hosting Resource Kit - Web Hosting Reviews & Hosting Tutorials

A hosting company with www.'insert your city here'hosting.com would definately be a good start to brand your local market.

Having said that, if you have ambition to take it further once you are established locally, the name above will not hold as much value.

So the way I see it you have three options.

1. Use the above method with the name of your local region in your domain and stick with it for good.

2. Use the above method with the name of your local region in your domain and change the name of your business once you become established to something more generic to the general population.

3. Start two brands, one targeting locally and one internationally/nationally. Something short and memorable for the national/international venture.

They all have their pro's/con's...

Also allow only domain parking, because you can target them later for choosing your hosting service and many other services that you may incorporate in your company.

Start locally and build up slowly, as time passes your reputation will increase and then you can target bigger markets but always maintain your niche and stick to the business plan
    "Web Hosting is not just about selling space, it is about facilitating customers needs with your plans and supporting the customer for a long lasting mutually beneficial relationship."- Yaser

Re: Selling hosting locally or statewide?

How about gooddayhost.au and go with the good day mate as a slogan for identity and branding

And start localy with door to door sales to local business's and try globaly for branding your name and identity thru your web and advertisment banners and good customer recomendations. Eventualy you hope it all comes together.
    I currently go to business's in my area and offer them the chance to get on the internet for under $20 a month. There eyes light up ! But then they need a web design. Then you can find a nice template for them to work from, customize and code it add $400 on plus we charge $300 for manual monthly serach submission for the year. If they ask if thats to much I refer them to yahoo and that yahoo dosent gaurantee placement, when I can atleast get them indexed for sure. Our going rate is $1000 for complete sites usualy thrown together in a week or less, hosting and search submission for the year is all included with $250 recuring for hosting and site submission on-going, very low costs when you compare to traditional advertising you explaine to them if they go with local advertising there not going to get the long term results or reach and they have the opportunity to reach a global market online and create a position for themselves. I may be off topic sorry I just put a few beers down.

Originally posted by sgwilks
    I will be starting to resell hosting plans and become a domains name reseller in my country of residence, Australia. I cant decide whether to target customers in the city of Adelaide where i live trying to attract business from local customers. I could buy a domain name for my website for example www.adelaidehosting.com.au . This would probably be easier to advertise on google adwords for people searching for keywords "hosting"and"adelaide". Or would it be better to buy a domain for example www.aushost.com.au (this has already been taken) and go for the larger market australiawide of a population of 20,000,000 as opposed to adelaides 1,000,000 population. There is alot of people in australia trying to sell hosting and i feel the adelaide market might be the best approach. Has anyone here tried a similar approach in their hometowns? Advise would be appreciated.

lol peilo. When I first scanned your post I thought you were recommending godaddyhost.com.au.