Is there some "industry standard" definition for 24x7 support?

Is there some "industry standard" definition for 24x7 support?

I mean, does just having an automated mechanism by which you can raise support tickets 24x7 qualify as accepable 24x7 support, or does it mean that someone physically should be manning the support desk 24x7?

There seems to be hosts claiming 24x7 support in their marketing blurb, but in reality all this means is their support website is available 24x7, not actual support staff.

I guess there is no meaningful "standard" because no one polices this industry other than the consumers themselves, so any host can claim anything they want in their marketing until people eventually see through it.

24 x 7 support should mean just what it says. You can expect to get a response at 2 PM or 2 AM. In my opinion, it should mean that a host has someone to answer your questions around the clock.

However, what throws off the definition is hosts that simply think that since you can submit a ticket at 2 am and they'll answer it when they wake up the next morning means that it is 24 x 7 support. That shouldn't be the case, but it does happen. Then you have the companies that do have staff around the clock, however take longer to address issues. So that ticket you submitted at 2 PM is actually answered at 2 AM.

For each person, the needs for their sites are different. To me it wouldn't really matter if they weren't able to answer a question that didn't affect my site until the next day, however if there were an emergency like an outtage, I would hope that they have staff working on it no matter what time of day.
    www.square-network.com www.squarenetwork.com
    Now available in regular and dehyphenated.
    May 2003 Member of the Month
    Useless Community Liason Ever Since.

Re: Is there some "industry standard" definition for 24x7 support?

Originally posted by loz
    Is there some "industry standard" definition for 24x7 support? . . .

I guess you answered your own question.

Originally posted by loz
    . . .I guess there is no meaningful "standard" because no one polices this industry other than the consumers themselves, so any host can claim anything they want in their marketing until people eventually see through it.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Originally posted by Coach
    24 x 7 support should mean just what it says. You can expect to get a response at 2 PM or 2 AM. In my opinion, it should mean that a host has someone to answer your questions around the clock.
    I would agree with that.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

Sure. It's easy to agree with that. But, the severity of the request is often dictates response time.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Greetings:

I'm not sure if there will be a "industry" accepted definition.

To me, 24x7 means you can contact some one 24x7.

1. Contact method is not dictated in the wording of 24x7.

So a company could offer 24x7 phone, 24x7 email, 24x7 pager, 24x7 cell phone, or a blend of those types.

2. The ability to contact 24x7 does not have a direct relationship to response time OR resolution time.

Obviously, telephone and cell provide immediate response presuming you get a person vs. voice mail. However, a resolution could be immediate to whatever time away.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

To me, 24x7 means you can contact some one 24x7.
    Fully agreed here. Response time can vary though, even if someone is there. A nice, fast and personalised message acknowledgeing that they are working on the problem would be a very good proof that some is at the wheel.

Resolution time will definitely depend on the type of problem though...

I agree 24x7 is being able to reach someone.

24x7 support is effectively a meaningless marketing slogan, for all but a narrow few companies.

To my mind 24x7 support means that you can contact someone at any time and they will immediately (or within a reasonable time that's not 'the next morning') have someone with technical expertise sorting the problem out.

24x7 cover might imply that there's a call centre to take your call and go through some standard replies, perhaps. But maybe not a technician.

24x7 server monitoring might imply that, whilst tickets may not be answered 24x7, essential services such as Apache, e-mail etc. are being monitored 24x7 and that failures will be dealt with at any time.

Just my take on those sorts of phrases anyway.

A lot of customers I've talked to have claimed that '24x7 support' is one of the 'biggest lies in the hosting industry' as a result of their experiences elsewhere. As a result I always strive to be honest in this respect and tell customers that we don't provide 24x7 support (we do 08:00 - 23:00), but that we do pay a company to monitor our servers 24x7. This works fine for our mainly UK-based clientelle at the moment, but as we grow (and get more overseas clients) then true 24x7 support is more of a necessity.

As I had discussed in a previous post, I have been somewhat unlucky in the 24X7 department. I found a few hosts who claimed it, but in reality, it just meant I could send them an email 24X7. It did not mean they would respond to it 24X7

The minimum that a 24x7 support should offer -- support for essential services like the web, mail and FTP services. Issues on these should be monitored and rectified 24 / 7. Other low priority issues can wait. Of course, the mere ability to log a complaint anytime through the night / day or speak to a IVRS 24 / 7 does not mean true round the clock support. The person on call should be able to resolve the issue and get back to you, in an acceptable time frame.

There are companies that attend to (even) password resets 24 / 7. The password reset tickets are also responded to in an acceptable time frame of 30-45 minutes in the dead of the night. Thats true 24x7 support.

24/7 support means that you are able to contact somebody withing quick means of communication (phone or online chart or page) and they will answer your questions in REAL time

24/7 could also mean that you can send an email 24/7 and will get an answer within 24/12/6 (or whatever) hours even if on holidays or Sundays... I think every company can define it themselves. For many companies it obviously means you can send in an email 24/7 but that doesn't mean that we will ever even look at it.

I think in the hostingbusiness these words have no meaning:
    unlimited
    24/7
    100% uptime guarantee

In fact if someone uses the words above he could also say: I won't tell ya what ya get.

I personally think stating 24/7/365 on your site should also be accompanied by a response time.

I have seen the classic before.... 24/7 email "Email answered with in 24 hours" which I think is a pile of turd. It basically means the owner can take a day off and answer within 24 hours.
    -- Matthew

to me, 24/7 means I can reach a person 24 hours per day, 7 days a week. If it isn't that, then it isn't 24/7. That is just me, as an enduser, i am not a webhost.
    Kevin Ohashi - Founder of ReviewSignal.com - Honest Web Hosting Reviews
    Check out our WordPress Hosting Performance Benchmarks (Updated: Sep 2016), the most comprehensive look at WP performance

Greetings:

In my opinion, unless 24x7 includes a method of contact in the description, it just means your message can get through 24x7.

For some, that is phone.
    For others pagers and cell phones.
    For others email.
    For yet others a combination.

In the end, customers will define what they need (as does Kohashi). Each business' customer base will be different; if the customers are happy with the business definition, then that's what counts.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile