Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by phision.com
    Under-16s here can't buy cigarettes, but there's nothing stopping them smoking them.
    Same with under-16s and alcohol.
    Same here.
    You can't buy cigarettes unless you get someone 18+ to buy them. You can't smoke on School Property, Hospitol Property, or any property that can make a place look bad.

Originally posted by cPanelSubs
    You are exactly right.

The young man who was arrested (probably humiliated as well) will only have a negative view of police for a long time forward.
    Hold on one second.

The kid broke the law, got cited. And you're saying since he asked for help he shouldn't get cited?

The sheer logic of some people.
    -Robert Norton
    www.SophMedia.com

Originally posted by interactive
    Hold on one second.

The kid broke the law, got cited. And you're saying since he asked for help he shouldn't get cited?

The sheer logic of some people.
    I agree. He should be citied for the underage drinking. Although, he did a responsible thing by asking a police officer for a lift home. He wasn't smart by drinking though. I give the police officer credit. He's got to set examples.

Lets raise the stakes a little to get this whole point across.

A guy robs the bank. A few hours later he realises what he has done was wrong, goes to the police with the money and hands himself in.

Do you as a law enforcing policeman swiftly pat the young man on the back for doing the right thing, or do they do their job?
    Bannaz™ | Amazing Banner Ad Designer!
    Need banners? Visit our Website
    New Facebook Banner Ads! Bannaz.com/facebook

The problem is, does raising the stakes change the whole issue?

A point of sympathy for the boy is that he did not harm anyone (at most other than himself).
    He could have chosen another route, and possibly get away with it, or end up killing someone (and maybe himself as well).
    But what he did is still wrong in the eyes of the law.
    Yet taking a softer approach might help in the long run, in this case.

On the other hand, robbing a bank interrupts the banks service.
    If it was done after hours, then some form of damage to bank property (e.g. breaking the locks) was done.
    #include<cstdio>
    char*s="#include<cstdio>%cchar*s=%c%s%c;%cint main(){std::printf(s,10,34,s,34,10);}";
    int main(){std::printf(s,10,34,s,34,10);}

If the policeman didn't do something he wouldn't be doing his job properly, therefore liable to get fired. The issues raised in this thread mean nothing regarding the policeman, its judges who may command.

Tell you what i hate
    when people go, Yes i hate the police, they do nothing
    i like to remind them of a few things
    If it werent for the police, Would there house be as nice as it is,
    Without the police, Would they beable to walk down the roads at night, Yes theres still the worry that they might get attacked /raped or whatever, But less chance with the actuall police
    The police do alot, people just dont realise, people feel the police are just out to put people away for no reason etc, Becuase they have the power to do so.
    I appreciate the police,
    Yes they do stupid things at times, But who doesnt?

Yeah I hear you Bully, can't stand people like that.

Anyhow, the kid broke the law, he deserves to be punished. It isn't like he was doing the police a favor by turning himself in, he was doing himself a favor, he probably would have been run over because he stumbled into the street or something. The police did their job, closed.

Originally posted by Scenes

A guy robs the bank. A few hours later he realises what he has done was wrong, goes to the police with the money and hands himself in.

Do you as a law enforcing policeman swiftly pat the young man on the back for doing the right thing, or do they do their job?
    They have to do their job no matter what.

When you give them leway not to charge someone they can later become blatantly biast and charge people who they don't like and be lax with people they do like. See my point?
    -Robert Norton
    www.SophMedia.com

You are very much mistaken. When it comes down to it, the law is there to be abiden to, no matter how bad or good the police feels.

If the police doesn't agree with the law, it doesn't mean he can simply let by a murderer because he beleives people are free beings.

The policeman would of been right to the give the lad a caution, as he was breaking the law.
    While I see your point, citizens expect police to exercise judgement in all situations. That's the realtiy of policing. Better testing and tougher qualifications before hiring them is a good start. Who knows? maybe they did show good judgement, we only have a small part of the story anyway. Maybe the kid was a complete smartass and royaly pissed them all off right from the start.

On any given weekend night, in most larger cities, the club areas and pizza windows are crowded with drunks. Some underage some not. The police for the most part act as hall monintors and make sure there is no fighting, public urination, or general disturbances. So don't even start by saying the police do not have the power to excercise personal judgements of situations. Lets just hope we pick the right ones to do it.

The police have jobs to do, they have policies to guide them in their daily activities. Noone knows based on the information provided by the initial poster here what the "full story" is.

Bottom line: The kid is underage and was drinking which = illegal

The kid got caught (whether he turned himself in or not is irrelavent) he broke the law, he paid the price.

So don't even start by saying the police do not have the power to excercise personal judgements of situations.
    Some laws and some policies are enacted specifically with this mentality in mind, policymakers and lawmakers don't want the police officers to make their own decision in some cases, I"m not saying this was the case here but "mandatory arrests" or "mandatory citations" are a fact of life in many states.

**As a sidenote, I wonder why the kid just didn't call his parents to come pick him up, did he think getting dropped off by a police car would make them be less upset?
    Ryan Porter, Owner
    Extreme Internet Solutions
    Quality Hosting Solutions -- Affordable Prices
    Providing Fabulous Hosting and Unreal Web Design! Excellence is our focus.

But how can you say Its "illegal"
    Im sure your allowed to drink alchahol, at house partys etc, where there are responsible adults etc,
    Your just not allowed to purchase the alchahol, or drink it on the streets,
    Im sure thats how it is in Britain? I mean, Im 16 almost 17, my dads a retired police man, wen i was 10 he used to give me a can off beer, now and again, i guess its so i get used to drinking alchahol,
    but i dont think were as strict about alchahol as america are, thats why we only have to be 18 to purchase it, and most of america is 21, right?

Originally posted by Bully
    But how can you say Its "illegal"
    Because it is illegal.

my dads a retired police man, wen i was 10 he used to give me a can off beer, now and again, i guess its so i get used to drinking alchahol
    "Retired" may be the best place for your father...however he could of been a respectable policeman, a good parent on the other hand is questionable.

"Retired" may be the best place for your father...however he could of been a respectable policeman, a good parent on the other hand is questionable.
    your saying because he gave me some alchahol now and again, hes a bad parent?
    And im sorry i dont see it as "illegal"
    A police officer wouldnt beable to give me a criminal record, or anything because i was caught drunk, The most he can do, is give me a slap on the wrist and take me home,

Thats the way it works where im from, Maybe its different where you are, you from america? or england? or another country.

ah and my dad was in the forces since he was 21, hes now 50, SO i think he was pretty well respected, How old are you? Can you afford to retire at 50 years of age? My dads pretty lucky in my opinion,

I'm very happy to see he went to a police officer to ask for a ride home and I'm even happier to see that the police officer did his job.

Yes, he shouldn't have given him a ticket, but by law the police officer was obligated and I'm glad that he did it. Not because it was wrong, but because it's the law.

Wow thats sending a REAL good signal to kids! We know kids will drink its apart of life. They should of just gave him a warning and sent him home. The good thing is he didn't get behind the wheel like some idiots and try and make it home. He may have been drunk, but he was acting responsible enough to go to the police and have them give him a ride home. I am 19-years-old and I drink responsiblity. I have never drank enough to get drunk. I'll take a few shots with my parents and enjoy myself. Its nothing new or bad.
    Kerry Jones

And im sorry i dont see it as "illegal"
    A police officer wouldnt beable to give me a criminal record, or anything because i was caught drunk
    It is illegal to be found drunk underage. How many more times do you need to be told?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12