How to find out the uptime of a server/host?

Does anybody know how to tell the average amount of uptime of a server of any particular url?

My host is having gone down and I've not been with them very long, and I just wondered if there is any way that I can get some independant uptime stats of their servers.

Originally posted by apax
    Netcraft.

http://uptime.netcraft.com/
    Have never seen something like that before. Learn something everyday, Thanks!

either my host is lying about the OS of my server or this site provided the wrong information.

Actually, netcraft uptime tracks the physical uptime of the server, as in how long since it's been rebooted. Netcraft uptime shows no value of network uptime or downtime, so shouldn't be used to evaluate the uptime of the web host.
    --

You could place a site monitor on your server to track the uptime. If you search google you will find some free online tools and some that you can download.
    Gary Jones

BlueFur.com - Canada Web Hosting

robotest

Hi,

I used a freeware called robotest

Free WYSIWYG Html Editor http://www.ewisoft.com

You should monitor your site: www.siteuptime.com, think, will be the best free solution.

Originally posted by MStar
    Actually, netcraft uptime tracks the physical uptime of the server, as in how long since it's been rebooted. Netcraft uptime shows no value of network uptime or downtime, so shouldn't be used to evaluate the uptime of the web host.
    And kernel upgrades have been coming in regularly too, so they require a reboot after updates etc.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Yes, all web-hosting companies must upgrade to kernel 2.4.26 as there are some bugs before 2.4.26.

Hi guys,

So does anybody know *how* the different companies such as netcraft find out about the server companies in the first place?

For example how can they tell what is a server and what is not a server? Do they just instantly have some kind of technical mechanism that autodetects all the world wide servers that suddenly come online?