Thread: SSL Questions

SSL Questions

I'm a newcomer to enabling SSL for a Website. Until this point I have never had a reason for it, but I would like to implement a secure User Login area.

I run a Windows 2003 Server with IIS, and have set the SSL port for the site, however I cannot load anything using http_s://. (Evidently not enough posts to use any part of a URL)

I'm assuming this is more involved that what I have done, but I couldn't find anything but "Special Deals" on SSL Certificates when searching.

You will need to first generate a Certificate Signing Request (CSR) and then use it to order an SSL Certificate from a provider and install it. The provider you would buy your certificate from should be able to explain you how to generate a CSR.

Hope it helps.

Mediopia Technologies, Inc - Call Toll Free (24 x 7): 1-877-807-HOST
    Windows and Linux Reseller and Shared Web Hosting Plans
    SiteStudio, ASP,, PHP, CGI, Coldfusion MX 6.1, Frontpage, MS SQL Server, MySQL, PgSQL ...

San Diego, CA
    Try,, or and see if they may have some documentation for you.

Richmond, BC
    Hi there,

As stated previously, in order to use SSL for a website, you need to get a SSL certificate. Generally, you need to purchase these; however, you can also generate your own if need-be. Although, if you generate your own and visitor to your site will get a warning about this.

If you wish to purchase a certificate, a great site to visit so you can see a comparison of different SSL providers is,

If you want to see about generating your own certificate, some great information along with a SSL engine is available from

Hope this Helps,

Rory Erickson