Thread: longhorn

longhorn

I heard there was tracking software in it, is it true?

Yes........also Bill Gates sacrifices a sheep every Wensday to appease th evil spirits.........

My point is no one knows unless you work for microsoft, dosen't matter much for me, I use linux

Don't speculate just yet. It's still in the beta stages.
    Have you Floble'd today?

well i didnt know if any microsoft employees are members of these forums :^)

Tracking software? What is that supposed to mean?

So what if there is? There will be hacks released quite soon after the release of Longhorn to stop the i-spy parts anyway..

Originally posted by Subhadip
    Tracking software? What is that supposed to mean?
    As I understand it, in the next release of Windows, Microsoft will not only be able to track your usage of the PC, along with the Internet, they will be able to see you through your monitor, know what you're wearing and determine when the last time you had sex was.

Neato technology coming!

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

Tracking what, though? If it's something that violates personal privacy you can bet the EU will smash down on the project.

Anyway, if you went a piece of Longhorn, the early beta has been available in Asia for a while.

YES,

Longhorn does enable MS to see whats on your computer and if they dont like it,THEY CAN REMOVE IT REMOTELY!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would not advise going with this OS (If you can help it..DOWNGRADE TO BASIC 98SE)

The Dude

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

Originally posted by sirius
    As I understand it, in the next release of Windows, Microsoft will not only be able to track your usage of the PC, along with the Internet, they will be able to see you through your monitor, know what you're wearing and determine when the last time you had sex was.

Neato technology coming!

Sirius
    Yeah it does. I have an early release of Longhorn, and was able to hack into that technology. I can see you now. A bunch of you really need to put a shirt and some pants on because you damned sure aint as sexy as you think you are. And The Dude needs to put down that 1985 issue of Playboy and get to work...

Im not kidding!!!!!!!!

It seems like all the people who say this isnt true ARE IN LOVE WITH MS!!!!!!!!!! Really!!!!!!!!!! I have heard this from credibal sources............

I wouldnt have longhorn installed (If i could help it) If i couldnt,i would have mucho OUTBOUND FILTERING FIREWALLS ENABLED......

The Dude

Originally posted by The Dude_
    Im not kidding!!!!!!!!

It seems like all the people who say this isnt true ARE IN LOVE WITH MS!!!!!!!!!! Really!!!!!!!!!! I have heard this from credibal sources............

I wouldnt have longhorn installed (If i could help it) If i couldnt,i would have mucho OUTBOUND FILTERING FIREWALLS ENABLED......

The Dude
    There was, ummm, a friend who had a copy but, ummm, he, could never get it installed.

Sirius
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

You need a 5000 meg computer or something like that,some ungodly amount............

The Dude

Let me tell you how it works..
    The ONLY way it calls home is using Activation. XP did/does this also. You have the visual activation, then you have the hidden one (there are two of them). Once you have XP installed, it sends a message home as soon as it sees an internet connection. SO you have to have NO internet connection, and have the latest crack available for it.

I'm not talking an illegal crack, such as one to crack the visual activation, just a crack to stop the hidden one. Windows should never be alloowed to talk to another machine in the background like that. There are two types of registration....activation and serial # depending on which you have. The hidden activation is in both.

I am in this industry, and although I dont have a copy myself, I have several friends that do. I dont have one because they all say it isnt worth the time yet, as it's not much further along than XP at this time. I have messed with it on their test computers, and was fairly unimpressed. Last time I was on it, I felt it was no more than XP with a facial make over. The background stuff was fairly the same as XP (services, registry, etc). Right now there's about as much difference between Longhorn and XP as there is between XP Pro and XP Home..

The Dude, you remind me of those doomsday preachers you find screaming in the middle of big cities preaching the end of the world....LOL

Dude.. why you making stuff up?
    I installed it fine on a athlon 1700+
    and it worked perfectly fine.

So you dont need a 5ghz machine..
    There could be tracking software, but that will be defeated in "updated" versions...

Originally posted by ilyash
    Dude.. why you making stuff up?
    I installed it fine on a athlon 1700+
    and it worked perfectly fine.

So you dont need a 5ghz machine..
    There could be tracking software, but that will be defeated in "updated" versions...
    So you installed a pirated piece of Microsoft software?

Nifty.

Sirius

Neato technology coming!
    Of course you know they stole it from Apple.

Originally posted by bodypainter
    Of course you know they stole it from Apple.

A few mistakes I've seen....

The tracking "device" in Windows Codename Longhorn is identical to the one in Windows XP and Windows 2003. All it does it, at a moment request from MS, can force your system to make a call to the home server and transfer information. What does it transfer you ask? The IP and the Serial #. With this, MS can determine how many machines, online, use the same serial #. Windows XP and 2003 have the same feature, it's not used and MS will never use it. It's a "what if MS decided.." feature.

Furthermore, at this time, the "Longhorn" OS is not even close to what the OS will be/do when it's ready. It's been speculated (and not confirmed) that the new OS will require a about 5Ghz of processing power and a good 1GB of Ram.

I am a MSDN Tester, I've been one for years now (4 years??) and I can say that this OS is nothing short than a waste of time and money. Rather than investing so much time and effort into this 1 OS, they need to focus on making an OS with LESS features. More of a "build your own OS" type of idea.

I will say this, the new OS, when released, will blow you rmind away.

So you installed a pirated piece of Microsoft software?

Nifty.

Sirius
    Well.. not technically pirated.. it was a alpha release..
    Pirated means..
    One who makes use of or reproduces the work of another without authorization.

I didnt reproduce it..
    [Someone else did ]

Where Microsoft draws the line regarding obtaining/retaining information from your system is decided by them.....and that is the long and short of the privacy story. I am reminded of the index.dat file controversy Microsoft faced.

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp

Windows Update scans your computer and provides you with a selection of updates tailored just for you.

Windows Update Privacy Statement (Last Updated 10/17/2003)

Windows Update is committed to protecting your privacy. To provide you with the appropriate list of updates, Windows Update must collect a certain amount of configuration information from your computer. None of this configuration information can be used to identify you. This information includes:

Operating-system version number
    Internet Explorer version number
    Version numbers of other software for which Windows Update provides updates
    Plug and Play ID numbers of hardware devices
    Region and Language setting
    The configuration information collected is used only to determine the appropriate updates and to generate aggregate statistics. Windows Update does not collect your name, address, e-mail address, or any other form of personally identifiable information.

Windows Update also collects the Product ID and Product Key to confirm that you are running a validly licensed copy of Windows. A validly licensed copy of Windows ensures that you will receive on-going updates from Windows Update. The Product ID and Product Key are not retained beyond the end of the Windows Update session, unless the Product ID is not valid.

To provide you with the best possible service, Windows Update also tracks and records how many unique machines visit its site and whether the download and installation of specific updates succeeded or failed. In order to do this, the Windows operating system generates a Globally Unique Identifier (GUID) that is stored on your computer to uniquely identify it. The GUID does not contain any personally identifiable information and cannot be used to identify you. Windows Update records the GUID of the computer that attempted the download, the ID of the item that you attempted to download and install, and the configuration information listed above.