Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I strongly believe there is a difference between “faith” and “religion.”
    Yes. Faith is believing in something without any facts or needing facts while Religion is an institution of rules you follow where the leader is an all powerful god (or gods depending on religion). Since religion is based on the faith of scriptures it makes it almost impossible to argue religion as it needs no facts and you need facts to argue.
    Alvin

Born and raised Catholic, went to church once a month growing up. Now, I haven't been to church in years, so I would say im not a religious person.

read my sig.
    » Poised.com - Marketing with Passion
    Tamer o'kail - Creative Director

I'm definitely agnostic these days, I used to think I was Athiest for a while until some people started labeling it a religion too!

I am on the fence so to speak, but I tend to lean towards no God in the sense most people think of it. I do not believe there is some invisible being watching over everyone, if there is he is strangely absent from our reality.

However, in another sense, the universe itself is our creator and we are mearly the universe standing up and looking at itself. Early ancestors who worshipped the sun were also quite correct, without the sun we would not be here, we are created from the same materials which burn there now. But, let's be real and realize the sun doesn't care if we worship it, nor does the universe.

When we peer out into the cosmos we see more stars than there are grains of sand on all the beaches on this little blue rock we call home, does this not signify quite clearly that we aren't really special it seems? Does not the dinosaurs ruling the planet for 165 MILLION years say something? We're hardly 4 million years old ourselves and have only been advanced enough to keep records of ourselves for about 6,000 years, heck we're having trouble finding out stuff about ourselves that only happened 10,000 years ago, a blink of an eye compared to the age of the planet we inhabit.

Could the universe be a creation? Certainly, I'm open to that, I just don't think that creator pays much attention to every little being that has evolved within his creation. We're more likely an evolved species within this universe that may or may not have been created, just like all previous evolved species on our blue rock and likely countless other life bearing worlds throughout the cosmos.

Another possibility to explain many Biblical events is also alien intervention, let's face it, there are two possibilities with interstellar travel, it's either possible or it isn't. If it is possible then some alien species has likely already been here, and to our ancestors their advanced technology would have been godlike.

So many questions out there that I don't think we'll ever answer.
    Dynanet Network Services - 206-607-9075
    We Do Hosting - Established May 2001
    http://www.dynanet.ca/

Originally posted by Dynanet
    Another possibility to explain many Biblical events is also alien intervention, let's face it, there are two possibilities with interstellar travel, it's either possible or it isn't. If it is possible then some alien species has likely already been here, and to our ancestors their advanced technology would have been godlike.
    Been watching Stargate (SG1)?
    Ask about custom logo design! :: TalkSka.com - Your source for Ska News and Forums. Join today!
    AIM=IQPhat
    MSN=xshare101@hotmail.com
    EMAIL=Use the board's email system, please.

Originally posted by Xshare
    Been watching Stargate (SG1)?
    Hehe, I do enjoy that show ...

The theories I was presenting though aren't based on that, more on the ancient Greek accounts of "wars in the sky" and stuff, well before we could fly and it could have just been real bad storms, actual Gods battling it out or aliens posing as actual Gods battling it out

The History Channel has a show on Alien Evidence and the Bible, it was quite interesting. It presents a pretty plausible story and there are missing links in our history we've yet to explain.

Our solar system is 5 billion years old or so in a universe that is 12-15 billion years old as far as we know at this time, that leaves a long time for other life to have evolved and possibily to have figured out how to do interstellar travel, have long lifespans and how to outlive their home star. It's not like there aren't lots of clues of flying things in ancient artwork either, stuff like that really has to make you wonder.
    Dynanet Network Services - 206-607-9075
    We Do Hosting - Established May 2001
    http://www.dynanet.ca/

We're more likely an evolved species within this universe that may or may not have been created, just like all previous evolved species on our blue rock and likely countless other life bearing worlds throughout the cosmos.

Interesting theory...it could be possible you know

Nah i'm not religious. Actually i haven't been to church in yrs.

Born, and raised as a Roman Catholic, and always will be of the Roman Catholic faith.

Simon

I very much believe in God and Jesus and I always have, was raised to believe, never forced to believe, never forced to church, love going anyway. The only book I read anymore outside of manuals is the bible because it is the only book I enjoy anymore.

I believe in Heaven and hell and I pray daily for those that don't believe to maybe someday start believing for what ever reason.

I dont hate those that are different I just pray for them.
    Freckle Face
    http://frecklefacehosting.com

The History Channel has a show on Alien Evidence and the Bible, it was quite interesting. It presents a pretty plausible story and there are missing links in our history we've yet to explain.
    Now that would be a fascinating show to watch. Is it a regular series, or was it just a one off show?
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

. . . Our solar system is 5 billion years old or so in a universe that is 12-15 billion years old as far as we know at this time . . .
    Yeah, that's "as_best_we_can_know_now", from a scientific perspective. In the coming centuries they'll narrow it down to a more precise understanding.

Nowhere in the bible does it indicate the age of the universe or planet earth, for that matter. For the truly open minded, there's interesting studies in the "Pre-Adamite world" that existed before Adam was created, centered around "The Gap therory" in the beginning of Gen 1 - 2 etc. That also ties in with the study of Lucifer (Satan) before that entity's fall. It's a complex study and not for the close minded, but beats the pants off Stargate, as much as I enjoy that show.

There is a god, but he didn't create us. He only helps us make the transition into our next life, after death. Our soles are created immediatly when....well, you know how that happens

Our bodies are simply "containers". Although most "containers" change through evolution, some "containers" are altered. Our human bodies have been altered for centuries by an alien race known as the "greys". These "greys" are clones, who are seeking to find a future "container" that will be able to accomodate them, and will be far more advanced then their current "container". These "greys" however are working for another race known as the "reptilians". I won't get into that right now though...Its a long story

Originally posted by RMF
    There is a god, but he didn't create us. He only helps us make the transition into our next life, after death. Our soles are created immediatly when....well, you know how that happens

Our bodies are simply "containers". Although most "containers" change through evolution, some "containers" are altered. Our human bodies have been altered for centuries by an alien race known as the "greys". These "greys" are clones, who are seeking to find a future "container" that will be able to accomodate them, and will be far more advanced then their current "container". These "greys" however are working for another race known as the "reptilians". I won't get into that right now though...Its a long story
    Raliens?

I never have believed in religions and probably never will. I think the whole concept of it is just plain old silly.. And until people stop fighting, and killing each other over invisible men in the sky, it will always be silly..
    Let Google know when your dead | Read More >>
    Submit Your Press Release, Article, or News Tip Today
    W3Reports - News for Webmasters

Practicing Jedi here...

Well it's a religion isn't it! (And yes, I did put "Jedi" on my 2001 UK census form, in the section marked Religion - along with about 20,000 others...)
    Kinkamono Internet Services - The Internet. Done Right.
    Dive In...

This article offers an interesting viewpoint on how religion affects US foreign policy :

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Columnists...195727,00.html

Originally posted by barleduc
    This article offers an interesting viewpoint on how religion affects US foreign policy :

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Columnists...195727,00.html
    http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20031222&s=stam this one is good too.
    Ask about custom logo design! :: TalkSka.com - Your source for Ska News and Forums. Join today!
    AIM=IQPhat
    MSN=xshare101@hotmail.com
    EMAIL=Use the board's email system, please.

lol, keep the conspiracy theories coming. Oh yeah, some biased journo wrote it, and it's on a website, so dangit, it must be true!

Originally posted by Aussie Bob
    lol, keep the conspiracy theories coming. Oh yeah, some biased journo wrote it, and it's on a website, so dangit, it must be true!
    Geez what a reaction. I said the article describes an interesting viewpoint. I didn't say I agree with the article 100%. However, I do believe that the people he is talking about have gained influence and power over the last years.
    And yes to these people Israel is important, and this does have an effect, small or large (who knows), on foreign policy towards Israel ofcourse.

I was invisaging all these links to journo's conspiracy theory articles, being posted like they were gospel or something. But I agree, interesting reading indeed. Apologies for the slight over reaction.

Greetings:

The following is my perspective of the Bible matching history and being compatible with science

In late 1989 / January 1990 I visited a forum from the New Life Christian Network where I saw messages about the Bible being the Word of God and infallible.

My pride and arrogance took over. I would show these cow herders (they had to be farmers, I thought) how wrong about God they were.

So I started a journey to try and prove them wrong. I would post such messages as "God is a liar," "God is a murderer" and worse. I posted attack after attack.

Yet, in all cases they (the people within the forum) responded with love. They could tell from my posts that I had not read the Bible in years. They offered to send me a copy. My pride would not let me accept it.

I went out and purchased my own Bible. I had it in my heart to prove them wrong with their own book. After all how could a human work like the Bible contain a perfect message?

So in January/February 1990, I purchased a Bible and started to read it. Getting frustrated early on in Genesis (begat, begat, begat), they suggested I start with Matthew in the Gospels and then come back to the Old Testament after I read the New.

So what I thought to myself. It doesn't matter where I start. I will prove them wrong!!! I am college educated, know how to read, think logically, and they have to be nuts.

So I started reading Matthew. By the time I got to the Gospel of Mark, I knew something was going on, but did not know what.

I started posting questions instead of attacks. They continued to reply in love, and recommended a Bible study.

I don't know what it is like in your geographic area; but in our area, you do not look up Bible Study in the telephone book. So I told them where I live, and stated that if they could find a Bible Study within a 30 minute drive, I would go. I got a message from a gentleman in the state of Maryland giving me a telephone number and the name Leon Stoffer.

I looked at the number, and could not believe my eyes. The number was in Womelsdorf (where I was living). How???? Furthermore, Leon was a Menonite pastor. I'm not sure how much you know about the Menonite but they are lucky if they use computers (they are like the Amish in many ways if you know about the Amish).
    So I started going to Bible study (this was about once a week). I visited Leon's church and was amazed of the differences as compared to a Roman Catholic Church (no offence against Roman Catholics). They opened their arms and their hearts to me. I was amazed by the love shown by strangers.

By April the light bulbs were finally going off. While I did not accept Jesus as my personal Lord and Savior at that time, I was close. After reading Luke 22, I understood how God can inspire the Bible through men and women of God who opened their hearts and minds to Him.

Bible study ended for the spring / summer and I was devastated. I was finally understanding, and then wham!!!

So the pastor agreed to take turns between his house and my house helping me to study the Bible.

On the evening of May 8, 1990 Paster Leon Stoffer asked me if I was going to heaven. I didn't know the answer. According to what I was thought growing up Roman Catholic, who can know. He showed me in the Bible how you can have assurance of your salvation by confessing with your mouth that you are a sinner and that you accept the terrible price Jesus paid for our sins, that He died for us, and was resurrected from the grave.

That evening, shortly after 11:00 PM, on May 8, 1990 I accepted Jesus as my personal Lord and Savior. My life was forever changed.

Over the years, I’ve been amazed on how well the Bible is historically accurate, how archeologists will use the Bible to make finds, and how third party historians will provide evidence which matches Biblical events.

Thank you.

Greetings:

Just a quick annotation:

I've found the Bible to be approximately 80% or more historical in terms of people, places, times.

If you do your home work, you can confirm with third party (that is to state, those historians who are neither Christian nor Jew) those historical areas.

For instance, in the Book of Daniel, it talks about the King (Neb...) being ill for seven years. There are Egyptian scrolls which talk about the King of Babylon by name, and that he was ill for seven years (same time frame).

If you read archeology magazines, you can find confirmation after confirmation about the Bible.

While there is a faith perspective in the Bible, if 80%+ is true, and you can verify those prophesies which took place (part of the remaining %) to the point where you only have a small percentage yet to take place.. then it is a small leap of faith.

So for those who dispute the Bible and its accuracy, have you studied it lately? Or were you like me, going from memory that was decades old?

Thank you.

i have a hard time believing in something that has brought more death and destruction then actual good....

Greetings Case:

"I have a hard time believing in something that has brought more death and destruction then actual good...."

Many people have a hard time believing in religion based just what you stated.

However, God does not equal religion. Worship does not equal religion. And faith does not equal religion.

Thank you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast