Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Are You A Religious Person?

Hi,

I was just wondering how many of you are religious? If yes, then was this quality transferred to you by your family when you were being brought up or you just became one at a later stage of your life due to the influence of another religious person or some mind blowing event?

If not, then again is this because you came from a non-religious type family who never focued on this aspect or was it you just realised at a later stage of your life that there is no such thing as God and following the teachings of a book is plain stupid?

Why is religion important to you? and if not then why is it not important to you?

Thanks!

Here is my idea on religion:

I'm not a very religious person. I belong to no church and probably never will (the only church I like is in Aimes, IA). So I guess you can say I'm Agnostic.

I believe if I live a morally good life and help others I will go to heaven if there is one. I do pray every now and then (especially when I'm in trouble).

I guess the way I look at it is:

If there isn't a god then oh well, if there is I'm gonna try not to piss him/her off.

I am alot closer to god today than i used to be,i guess mainly cause of things in my life has brought me closer to him..........I feel happier knowing god is there!!!!!!!!!!

The Dude

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

Not at all (as you can see by custom title lol)

No, I'm a practicing atheist :P

Well, I dont pray out loud, I more or less do it in my head. I usually get things my way when I ask. So, let's look at the possibilities of why that is.

1) I am God - Not.
    2) I have an invisible Genie as a Guardian Angel.
    3) I have magical or psychic powers.
    4) There is a God, and he is answering prayers.

Which one would YOU believe??

Originally posted by The Dude_
    I am alot closer to god today than i used to be,i guess mainly cause of things in my life has brought me closer to him..........I feel happier knowing god is there!!!!!!!!!!

The Dude

I am not religious...But I DO beleive in God and he is apart of my life. I don't go to church hardly at all, though. It seems fake to me, at least the people do...

Originally posted by Webdude
    Well, I dont pray out loud, I more or less do it in my head. I usually get things my way when I ask. So, let's look at the possibilities of why that is.

1) I am God - Not.
    2) I have an invisible Genie as a Guardian Angel.
    3) I have magical or psychic powers.
    4) There is a God, and he is answering prayers.

Which one would YOU believe??
    If this is meant to imply that, obviously, #4 is the only possible realistic answer, one could only conclude that god is partial to those living in Western countries.

I wonder how many of the tens of millions of people, living in third world countries, that die of malnutrition each year pray and simply ask 'God' for at least enough food to be able to live to see the next day?

God consistently says no to citizens of third world countries, and thus lets millions die.

However, because food isn't an issue for us, we can pray, in our heads, about meaningless superficial things (believe me Webdude, compared to never having enough food for you or your family to live on, that whatever you pray for is superficial) and get our every want and desire granted.

Funny how God mainly answers the prayers of those in Western countries.

One meagre example, but asking for something in your head and getting your own way reeks of gratuitous self importance.

I'm agnostic. I don't want to say atheist, because I don't want to lose to go to heaven because I don't believe in it
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Originally posted by Toefur
    I wonder how many of the tens of millions of people, living in third world countries, that die of malnutrition each year pray and simply ask 'God' for at least enough food to be able to live to see the next day?
    I dont consistently make more children that I know I cant take care of and feed, and will most likely painfully die under my care. I wont go into that discussion again. There wouldnt be 10's of millions if they didnt keep having kids they cant feed when they cant even feed themselves.

...and I dont know how food came into it. I dont pray for food. I pray that I can always provide a good life for my family, that I dont get killed on the highway by some stupid drunk or cellphone idiot, and that my kids behave so I dont have to punish them, and that any arguements with my wife quickly dissolve.....among many other things. I believe that to get help, you must first help yourself.

I am not a religious nut. People come to my door that seems to me they think they can get in the passenger seat of their car and let God do the driving. That's not how it works. Tell me why those people are starving while there is so much food in the nearby forests they live close to? Funny how with all the food being sent over, the loads are increasing. Why? Because why should you go out and hunt your food when the good ol Americans are bringing food to you?

I do however, believe we should teach them birth control, and how to take care of themselves. Not simply feed them as we currently do. As such a wealthy nation, it's our responsibility to help them, but not completely take them under our wing 100%.
    Last edited by Webdude; 05-04-2004 at 01:42 AM.

Are You A Religious Person?
    No. Not really...

Then again, my take on religion is... If youre easily offended or a zealot, skip below this post of mine...

Religion should be your own independent "bond" with your god or gods, or whoever or whatever it may be. Not restricted by someone elses ideology.

Not to get involved in another Jihad that these threads usually resort to... I'm leaving this thread now.
    Don't like what I say? Ignore me.

No. Atheist. Simple as that.

Not a religous person by nature.

I'm not 'religious' so to speak, but I do believe in God. I also believe that most the bible is ******** and that Jesus was a con-man.

I have some 'different' views compared to other believers. I don't go to church, God said there was to be 1 church, that's the world.

EDIT: I had a rough life, so believing in God is just something you do.
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right
    ██ Shared, Reseller and Dedicated web hosting
    An Easy Web Presence Company

Not religious, I believe in science.
    BTi-Hosting.co.uk High quality hosting, low low prices.
    One step ahead of the competition - Today IS tomorrow.
    FraudWise.Net - Fight the fraud!

Not religious, but indeed spiritual.

Originally posted by Philipf
    Not religious, I believe in science.
    I believe in science, and science believes in God.

Now there's a neverending discussion right there. No, I'm not suggesting we head down that path. It's just an expression I heard a while back and your post reminded me of it.

I was taken to church as a child, but as I grew up had my own feelings about it all and am now fairly certain there is no such thing as "God".
    Steve

Something must be there, we arent here without a reason...living in a stupid round shaped rock we call earth that is just a tiny little part of the trillions of other rocks we call universe...there has to be something we yet do not know about..

If you think about what you just said, then you will realise that God = Energy, and energy doesn't give a flying f**k what we do.
    BTi-Hosting.co.uk High quality hosting, low low prices.
    One step ahead of the competition - Today IS tomorrow.
    FraudWise.Net - Fight the fraud!

I was brought up Jewish. I spent 10+ years in Jewish school, learned so much about the bible, etc. For all the good that did me, I'm agnostic. Even moreso than when I started. I mean, reading all the BS in the bibles (Old Testament, New Testament, Quran), just turns you off to the whole god thing. I consider myself an Agnostic by divine belief, Jewish by community.
    Ask about custom logo design! :: TalkSka.com - Your source for Ska News and Forums. Join today!
    AIM=IQPhat
    MSN=xshare101@hotmail.com
    EMAIL=Use the board's email system, please.

Something must be there, we arent here without a reason...living in a stupid round shaped rock we call earth that is just a tiny little part of the trillions of other rocks we call universe...there has to be something we yet do not know about..
    That is what I call agnostic thinking. We know enough about science to know that we know almost nothing about this reality we live in.
    Alvin

Science is to a scientist, as the Bible is to a Christian.

Greetings:

I am not a religious person; I have no religion.

I strongly believe there is a difference between “faith” and “religion.”

In terms of my faith, I am a follower of Christ Jesus the Son of the Living and Most High God.

When I look back over the past (almost) 41 years, I know that God saved me a number of times from various forms of death.

However, I did not recognize and accept Jesus as my Lord, Savior, Sovereign King until May 8, 1990.

While I was raised Roman Catholic, there was no substance (that could have been to various issues including me – please note this is not a negative against Catholicism as I have known many Catholic Christians over the years).

In my latter teenage years, I got into witchcraft; and then atheism (for years).

My testimony is too large to post (that’s not stated out of pride or arrogance; just that there is a lot of history). Those interested can PM me with their email address (it is too large for a PM).

God is important to me as He is my Deliverer, my Savior, my Healer, my Comforter, my everything. He is the source of all things; and I am but a steward of all things in my possession ("my" said loosely because they are His).

I believe faith must be a living part of you; and that you don’t take it off or put it aside when things get uncomfortable – including dying for one’s faith.

To be clear on the dying for one’s faith part, I don’t mean any form of terrorist act, but the willingness to stand firm in face of death (i.e. if some one points a gun at my head and tells me to deny Christ Jesus, it would be my hope I would pray out loud and praise Jesus even though the bullet may be released from the chamber before I could say much).

In ending, faith matters to me. It helps define my purpose in life.

Thank you.

P.S. Science and faith are not opposites.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast