what if my server only have one IP?

would it be a good idea to run everything on one IP?

it's for shared hosting accounts only, including two DNS on one IP, is that alright? any disadvantage you can see?

For DNS, you really ought to you have your primary and secondary DNS at two seperate locations, if not at least on two seperate physical servers. You lose all the redundancy that is built into the DNS spec if you run both primary and secondary on the same server. Sadly, due to a combination of providers that don't know any better, and control panels that have rather questionable default settings, running both primary and secondary DNS on the same machine is quite common.
    Raj Dutt // CEO // Voxel dot Net Inc
    http://www.voxel.net // [email protected]

but if the server itself is down already, what's the point to have DNS up?

let's say i get two cheap dedicated servers to run DNS alone, what kind of redundancy can i provide? compared with running everything on one server.

thanks.

btw, How much resources does a DNS server required in terms of specs, bandwidth, etc?

The requirement is that the two DNS must be using different IP addresses. If your web host provides only 1 IP then chances are they do provide free use of their DNS servers. You could ask them about it.

Yes, you are right, if the server is down, having multiple DNSes would help the situation. The concept of 2 DNSes came about from last century when there wasn't anything such as virtual hosting and it was unheard of having more than 1 service on one server.

DNS are not CPU or bandwidth intensive. If you want you could even use a simple Pentium 1 400Mhz machine to run it.

The redundancy issue probably comes about if the DNS servers are unstable and go down often then it will switch from one DNS server to the next. Nowadays if you set the DNS servers right, DNS downtime is quite rare and almost non-existent.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

'Last century'?

Actually, it is still a very good idea to have DNS running at two different locations. Even if your server goes down, if DNS stays up, all the other DNS servers around the world will at least maintain your records. If your server goes down for a few hours, you can be stuck waiting for a while for sites to be resolvable even after your web server goes up.

-Raj Dutt

Originally posted by eddy2099
    The requirement is that the two DNS must be using different IP addresses. If your web host provides only 1 IP then chances are they do provide free use of their DNS servers. You could ask them about it.

Yes, you are right, if the server is down, having multiple DNSes would help the situation. The concept of 2 DNSes came about from last century when there wasn't anything such as virtual hosting and it was unheard of having more than 1 service on one server.

DNS are not CPU or bandwidth intensive. If you want you could even use a simple Pentium 1 400Mhz machine to run it.

The redundancy issue probably comes about if the DNS servers are unstable and go down often then it will switch from one DNS server to the next. Nowadays if you set the DNS servers right, DNS downtime is quite rare and almost non-existent.
    Raj Dutt // CEO // Voxel dot Net Inc
    http://www.voxel.net // [email protected]

Haa haa.. Well, I remember I needed individual servers way back in the late 1990s for each of the services but in the current century the 2000s, you can have virtual everything on a single machine.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

I have a question
    when u signup for a dedicated server on servermatrix
    do they give u DNS?
    or do you have to set one up with the 5 IPS provided
    also how do you transform an IP to DNS?
    so you can have ns1.domain.com ns2.domain.com to ns5.domains.com

SM do provide DNS services for free.

and if you want to run your own DNS, use the IPs provided to you.
    go to your domain registrar and register 2 DNS by using any 2 ips.

you don't want to have ns1.2.3.4.5, ns1 and ns2 will do the work.

now back to my own question, so other than DNS problem, there isn't any disadvantage to run rest of everything on one IP lah, okay, thanks for your reply, eddy and nopzor

Nothing more other than it would be harder for you to figure out which site is a DDoS magnet whenever you get DDoSed.

With one nameserver only you may have problems with the registrars. Bit you can outsource your second nameserver, and this will be a perfect solution even for servers with 5 or 19 IPs.
    :: :: :: :: :: ::
    :: VDSP.Net :: Directory of virtual and dedi serv providers by location and price