Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hostrocket / Powweb / Lunarpages

Which one would you recommend. I'm using it to host a vbulletin forum and socketmail later on. I'm starting small.

I heard bad stuff about powweb but they have live support even on sundays which is a plus.

I would advise to use the search feature. There have been a lot of threads about those 3 companies before. Good Luck with your venture!

AdWatcher.NET - Ad Monitoring & Tracking (90-day Money Back Guarantee)

David Ogilvy said, 'I know half of my advertising works. I just don't know which half'. Would you like to know if YOUR prospects are reacting to your ads? Find out now!

Lunarpages has a good reputation....

As AdWatcher suggested, try the search button, I know theres lots of feedback on each of those companies...
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

If you heard bad stuff about a host just remove it from your list. No need to take that kind of risk as there are lots of good hosts out there.
    Last edited by ldcdc; 05-02-2004 at 08:57 PM.

PowWeb and HostRocket allow vB, Lunarpages except for certain plans doesn't.
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.

Try search WHT and you'll find a lot of interesting information about these companies

This site lists customer reviews and ratings that are more or less consistent with the general opinion of these companies on WHT, only in a more direct format: http://www.webhostingratings.com/hostdir.html

I run a dating web site that is hosted with lunar pages, and haven't had any problems yet (it's been about 6 months).

yes, i lunar pages doesn't let you use moveable type and vbulletin (unless anything has changed within the past 3 weeks). anyway, you can check www.lunarforums.com to see how their customers feel, too.
    Golf Forum - If you enjoy golf, check out this forum.

I am with Lunarpages
    My account got suspended yesterday because I was using IPB. I have at max daily 1,500 visits, they just told me my forum is too source sensitive. I was using original IPB without hacking. I am using their Voyager Plan which cost me 22.95$/mon, and it offers 80GB bandwidth limitation per month. But for this month I have just used 10 GB, but...

They just suspended my account, and I didn't see any notification even though they said they sent me an email 2 days ago, I checked my email-address in cpanel, it is correct.

So... who knows what's the hell going on, should I move? I'm been forced to change to phpBB, or upgrade to Enterprise Plan, or leave.

It is your billing email address you used to signup with that the email gets sent to. Not your email address in the cpanel.

If you want to change your contact information, please email support@lunarpages.com
    I like to help

Originally posted by ttk_2k
    I am with Lunarpages
    My account got suspended yesterday because I was using IPB. I have at max daily 1,500 visits, they just told me my forum is too source sensitive. I was using original IPB without hacking. I am using their Voyager Plan which cost me 22.95$/mon, and it offers 80GB bandwidth limitation per month. But for this month I have just used 10 GB, but...

They just suspended my account, and I didn't see any notification even though they said they sent me an email 2 days ago, I checked my email-address in cpanel, it is correct.

So... who knows what's the hell going on, should I move? I'm been forced to change to phpBB, or upgrade to Enterprise Plan, or leave.
    That's odd. From my experiences (Limited though), I've found that IPB is less resource intensive than phpBB.

how fast are their speeds?

Originally posted by ttk_2k
    You're telling me they want you to switch to phpBB to save on resource usage? You have *got* to be kidding me. Out of the big php boards (IPB, vB, and phpBB), phpBB is the SLOWEST of the three, and by a fairly large margin. Trust me, I've run benchmarks and it's slower at everything from forum views to posting. IPB is the fastest of the bunch , so I don't know who's telling them that
    Former owner of A Small Orange
    New owner of <COMING SOON>

Originally posted by Maximiliam
    It is your billing email address you used to signup with that the email gets sent to. Not your email address in the cpanel.

If you want to change your contact information, please email support@lunarpages.com
    I never change my email address since I registered with LP. Of course I know to email them if I changed my address!

how fast are their speeds?
    Well, the speed is good.

I'm here telling this not because I'm just making jokes, but really, I've never heard that 1,500 daily visits (at max, normally not more than 1,100) causes high server load. May be IPB is really too source sensitive, but after a search online I couldn't find any info tell me that.

Ok, I am not interested to talk about this topic anymore, and I know if I do, may be they might say: if you don't like our service you can go to another. That's not good, because I have to change many things and it will be huge work, I will need to wait for the stupid DNS propogandize, and I also don't want to make unhappy between each other. They say IPB is really high server loads, then I change to phpBB, it is a difficult feeling, we have to consider too much, and I want to develop my site, not only buy hosting for playing.

That's all.

Regards to all of you!

TT

Originally posted by timdorr
    You're telling me they want you to switch to phpBB to save on resource usage? You have *got* to be kidding me. Out of the big php boards (IPB, vB, and phpBB), phpBB is the SLOWEST of the three, and by a fairly large margin. Trust me, I've run benchmarks and it's slower at everything from forum views to posting. IPB is the fastest of the bunch , so I don't know who's telling them that
    Many people have different comments on IPB, I wish there would be an official report to show us all of these stuffs.

hostrocket, I've spoken to the owner before he seems like a sound guy.

But how come the LP doesn't let you run MT?? I don't think it's a too much resource hungry script

Lunarpages are good

Lunarpages are good
    Please explain. Detail your experience with them or otherwise the reason for this opinion. Thanks!

It is a shame that Lunarpages has decided to ban Movable Type, VB, and Invision from their servers. They were once a great deal but now they are not worth the risk.

What it comes down to is, they will only host your forum if you promise not to let it become even mildly popular.

With a few possible exceptions, resource usage has just as much to do with the number of people that have to share a server's resources as it does the software you use.

Originally posted by shahin
    But how come the LP doesn't let you run MT?? I don't think it's a too much resource hungry script
    when MT gets big, it gets slow and cluggy. Seems to be a common complaint from folks w/ large databases in MT... the rebuild times .. slow.

Originally posted by supermagnet
    It is a shame that Lunarpages has decided to ban Movable Type, VB, and Invision from their servers. They were once a great deal but now they are not worth the risk.

What it comes down to is, they will only host your forum if you promise not to let it become even mildly popular.
    So, how dose their 80GB per month make sense? How PHP make sense? How people going on with their websites? Shouldn't we be happy with that we have more and more visitors and make our business much better, but be afraid with more people come and causing the server "high loads"?

That shouldn't be that, a webhosting is a webhosting, not a machine that only eats money and don't allow people to develop our site, otherwise, WHAT WEBSITES MAKE SENSE??

I think LP's server shouldn't be that weak, they might not as good as before but, I have to see... ...

If they were saying that you can not have ANY forum then that would seem to me to be a big problem. However, they are just saying they want you to use a particular forum. It would be helpful to know this information before your forum gets successful tho.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast