Hostmatix authorized to use client quotes?

I found a quote from one of our members here (Artashes) on their website, and since he no longer has an account with them, I was wondering if they are allowed to use a quote from him.

I took a screenshot of the quote just in case it changes everytime you load their homepage. It's attached, but here's a link just in case:

http://slazary.homestead.com/files/hostmatix.JPG

Any thoughts on this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hostmatix.jpg  

if he submitted to them in a testimorial they can use
    but he can email them to stop using it if he likes

Re: Hostmatix authorized to use client quotes?

Originally posted by Dr. Doom
    I found a quote from one of our members here (Artashes) on their website, and since he no longer has an account with them, I was wondering if they are allowed to use a quote from him.
    "Allowed" according to whom? There are no laws or regulations about something like that.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

If I understand it correctly, a business is using a *quote* from a client he no longer does business with. If that assumption is correct then absolutely their is nothing incorrect about what was said.

The time that it is wrong would be when aperson uses a quote that is *untrue or false*, then it is false advertising/deception.

As long as the quote was originally given then there is nothing to answer for.

There is no reason he couldn't use that quote for another hundred years.

Re: Re: Hostmatix authorized to use client quotes?

Originally posted by JayC
    "Allowed" according to whom? There are no laws or regulations about something like that.
    There are if that testimonial was sent via an email. There are copyright protections associated with email correspondence. To publicly post emails or portions contained within an email without permission could be a copyright violation...

Thats a valid point. I presume that the company originally had permission to use it, if they did not then would it still be a violation of copywrite, if the didn't have *explicit permission* to use it?

Is it not a bit like you sending a letter to someone and they publishing that letter in the newspaper.

Re: Re: Re: Hostmatix authorized to use client quotes?

Originally posted by Watcher_TVI
    There are if that testimonial was sent via an email. There are copyright protections associated with email correspondence. To publicly post emails or portions contained within an email without permission could be a copyright violation...
    But the question was not whether they had permission to use the testimonial to begin with, but whether they're still allowed to now that he's no longer a customer.

My point was that there are no laws or regulations regarding that. I don't think there's anything wrong with it in any case, as Tanuk said, as long as the testimonial was freely given and accurately reported. It's a statement from a satisfied customer. How long he remained a customer isn't really relevant, as long as there's no statement or implication about that in the testimonial (for example, if it said "I've been a customer for years and I always will be," I'd see it differently).
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

Apologize for not noticing this thread before, I have been extremely busy lately.

I keep forgetting to e-mail HostMatix and ask them to remove the testimonial since I'm no longer with their company. It just doesn't seem right if their potential clients would check out the nameservers and come up with a different company information.

PS: I know the thread is old, but I felt like I had to address this issue.

Best,
    Hosting Discussion - web hosting community.

Is your company represented?

I asked for removal of quote...they said they would remove my name....they did neither.

Originally posted by Rooftopp
    I asked for removal of quote...they said they would remove my name....they did neither.
    Gee, this company can not be trust anyway.
    If you would like to hear another story, here it is :
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=303438#post2352782

Hostmatix used an email I sent to owner Amir Golestan as a testomonial and attributed it to someone else. How surprising to see my comments - word for word - attributed to someone I did not know. Even after notifying them, they ignored it.

Considering the current scams being perpetrated by them, a little plagiarism and incorrect attribution seems laughable.