My Province is on Strike!

--

Dude,

relax..... im in Vancouver too. No ones freakin out. take a chill pill and go to tim hortons.
    Linux Admins the name, troubleshooting and administrating Linux Systems is my game

The province is not on strike. The health care workers are.
    And they are striking illegally which isn't really helping anyone, now is it?

The health care workers on strike???????

Ya mean hospitals and stuff???????

What happens if someone needs urgent attn???????

The Dude

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

Originally posted by The Dude_
    The health care workers on strike???????

Ya mean hospitals and stuff???????

What happens if someone needs urgent attn???????

The Dude
    maybe canada isnt as hyped up as everyone thinks
    Linux Admins the name, troubleshooting and administrating Linux Systems is my game

lol no school for me tomo!!!!
    Off Topic Forum - An Off Topic discussion Forum.

Hmmmmmm

The Dude

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

I think they're a bunch of cry babies, to be perfectly honest. They forced the schools closed, since over here, the school union thing said 'we'll not cross any picket line'. They're using very ugly tacktics to get their message across.

Health care workers, ferry workers, hockey players, and a whole pile of other jobs, are paid far too much for what they do. I think BC's health workers are the highest paid in canada, and they're still bitching. People that work at BC Ferries make $18 as a beginning wage - What do they do? greet people onto the ferry. Hockey players don't NEED to make 40Million a year to skate for 7 months outta the year. They should be capped at a mill, and given bonus's on their performance.

~Francisco

EDIT - Wow, half of this post was spelling errors, sweet! Though, i'm too lazy to fix it
    Last edited by DeltaAnime; 05-02-2004 at 07:14 PM.
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

Haha..

How great are government funded health care systems...pfft..
    -Robert Norton
    www.SophMedia.com

Originally posted by interactive
    Haha..

How great are government funded health care systems...pfft..
    Yeah right now its not as cracked up as its supposed to be. But of course if the Government just put some money into it, it will work fine. We would be able to pay what doctors in the states make and we wouldn't have striking health care workers, and no surgery waiting lists. But at least when I go to the doctor it doesn't cost anything, plus the added bonus of dirt cheap prescription drugs.

Indeed BC healthcare workers are highest paid in the country, And now they want more.
    --

Originally posted by sh-directssl
    Yeah right now its not as cracked up as its supposed to be. But of course if the Government just put some money into it, it will work fine. We would be able to pay what doctors in the states make and we wouldn't have striking health care workers, and no surgery waiting lists. But at least when I go to the doctor it doesn't cost anything, plus the added bonus of dirt cheap prescription drugs.
    Least our taxes are lower.

I'd personally rather pay higher health care costs (as I do) than pay higher taxes.

Least if I need surgery, I don't have to go on a waiting list.

On and on.

I'd personally rather pay lower taxes and pay more for things such as a good education, health care, etc. Do to any government's loss of money as it travels from one place to another..
    -Robert Norton
    www.SophMedia.com

Don't know if they have to a complete agreement but if there IS a general strike tomorrow it is not just going to be the healthcare workers its also going to be BC Transit (buses) and BC Ferries (which is not good for people needing to get on\off Van Isle)

Hopefully they will stop this nonsense and everything will go back to normal.

Originally posted by MStar
    Indeed BC healthcare workers are highest paid in the country, And now they want more.
    We also happen to be the province with the highest cost of living.

Originally posted by DeltaAnime
    Health care workers, ferry workers, hockey players, and a whole pile of other jobs, are paid far too much for what they do.
    I have to object on the health care workers as a general term. Perhaps I should mention that I am marrying a nurse in the BC health system, so my opinion may be a little slanted. However, day after day listening the stories she comes home with - you couldn't pay me enough to do that job. Perhaps if the kitchen staff weren't making $19.00/hr when the LPNs (Licensed Practitioner Nurses) were making $21.00/hr and the RNs (Registered Nurses) were making $25.00/hr, then there may be a little more budget to work with. I don't see why someone in a hospital kitchen should be making more than a McDonalds employee just because they belong to a union.

I quite like the idea that I can walk into any health care facility in the country, flash my ID, and receive the best care they can provide. I'm probably one of the few people that don't mind paying taxes. Heck, I wouldn't mind a slight increase if Ottawa could prove they know where the money would be going (stupid sponsorship scandal).

At any rate, I just thought you may like to try the other shoe on for a moment. Wait until you are sick, or someone you know is sick, and you're in the "system". You tell me if the people working on you or your loved ones are overpaid.
    SuperWebHost.com, a Digitally Justified Company
    Celebrating our 9th year in Business

Proudly Hosting with CANADIAN bandwidth
    Managed Hosting, Multi-Domain Hosting, Colocation, Merchant Accounts

gay..
    lol.. no more strike tomo...Everything is over

http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2004/05/02...bcstrike040502
    Off Topic Forum - An Off Topic discussion Forum.

I agree, some deserve more, yet some jobs are getting too much. BC Ferries greeters get paid $18/hour to say Hi to people as they get on the ferry. That sounds like a minimum wage job to me.
    --

^^^^ Agreed
    SuperWebHost.com, a Digitally Justified Company
    Celebrating our 9th year in Business

Proudly Hosting with CANADIAN bandwidth
    Managed Hosting, Multi-Domain Hosting, Colocation, Merchant Accounts

Originally posted by VanHost
    Perhaps if the kitchen staff weren't making $19.00/hr
    Bingo!

A friend of my mom's friend works in the kitchen, & she got her slip of termination a couple weeks ago. Pretty much, she has first shot at jobs, but she'll only come on at like, $9.50 or so. Flipping some burgers & making some eggs shouldn't make you $19 (unless of course, you're some uber good cook...even then, why would you work in a hospital?).

They have todo some re-evaluation of wages and such. Money is poured into these silly positions, and then the sectors cry back to the govt. that they ran outta money. Wonder why? I bust my *** breaking rocks & lugging 100's of pounds (not all at once =P) up ladders to make enough to pay for my hosting & schooling. I only make $13 & my job is 100x harder than any hospital cook.

Ya, some of hte jobs the nurses have to deal with is bad - but why should they get all the money, when really, they should be adjusting the cash flows to either go back into the hostpitals to make their lives easier (fixing it up and such), or to get more workers to lighten the load on them.

~Francisco
    Last edited by DeltaAnime; 05-03-2004 at 12:05 PM.
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony