Nameserver setup Problems for dedicated server

Hi Everyone,

I know it sounds very weird question but i have few problems regarding dedicated server setup.I recently got a dedicated server from managed.com

I tried to setup the server myself so that i get to learn new things in future.Now i setup everything but only problem i have is regarding the nameservers. Actually i am newbie so please tell me all details regarding the setup of nameservers.

I tried to put nameservers as :

ns1.incript.com ( 65.XX.XXX.XX0 ).
    ns2.incript.com ( 65.XX.XXX.XX1 ).

Now are this nameservers need to be registered in any way.I am totally confused so please help me.I need all the informations regarding nameserver setup.

Big Thanx in advance.

Re: Nameserver setup Problems for dedicated server

Originally posted by vijayonline

I tried to put nameservers as :

ns1.incript.com ( 65.XX.XXX.XX0 ).
    ns2.incript.com ( 65.XX.XXX.XX1 ).

Now are this nameservers need to be registered in any way.I am totally confused so please help me.I need all the informations regarding nameserver setup.

Big Thanx in advance.
    you need to go to the place where you registered your domain name there you should have an option to register a nameserver with an I.P address.

well i did there but it shows errors there.I think the DNS of server is not registered.

you definately need to register the nameserer to point to the IP.
    I am doing this now myself, and did it before when i had a server with SM.
    You actually need to tell the registrar that this will be a namserver type domain by choosing the option.

hey guys i think everyone taking it really wrong way.

Now see i configured the server ok.Now i have few domains of my own.Now the thing is when i try to change nameserver settings from my domain control panel the settings doesnt take effect all i wanna make sure is whether there is any problem in my dedicated server setup or is it the problem of domain registrar.

If it is some setting problem in my dedicated server i can fixx it as soon as possible.

also i tried to ping it it shows me following

"unable to resolve targeted system name ns1.incript.com"

where as it is working fine for everyone else.So someone can help me please.
    Last edited by vijayonline; 05-02-2004 at 04:07 PM.

Originally posted by Josh:

This is a CPanel bug, that's easily fixed. Login to your box from SSH, and type "pico /etc/nameserverips" (without the quotes). Change the nameservers that are in there for each IP address to your own, for instance,
    change "111.222.333.44=ns1.theirserver.com" to "111.222.333.44=ns1.yourdomain.com". Save and close out of the file, and you'll be up and running with your own nameserver IPs.

see thanx for your reply and identifying the problem but as i told i am really new so i dont know how to login from SSH.I log only via browser so can u tell how to do it or give me a link to do this.Coz i need the nameservers to run fast.

you can download a SSH client like Putty to your PC, then connect to your server IP, at port 22. You will have to enter username/password then

oh i downloaded the SSH client and tried it.Also tried what Hypes
    has said in his post.
    "pico /etc/nameserverips" (without the quotes). Change the nameservers that are in there for each IP address to your own, for instance,
    change "111.222.333.44=ns1.theirserver.com" to "111.222.333.44=ns1.yourdomain.com". Save and close out of the file.

now i tried tracert again and edited the namservers and edited as setting i would like and saved it too.But its not working again.I am totally confused now.

I don't know much about it, I just found that post by Josh, but:

You don't need to buy this to have DNS capabilitys with managed.com do you? (I hope not)

https://secure.managed.com/professional_services.htm

yeah that can be a thing too i didnt figured it earlier but without assigning DNS how i can allow people to point their domain to my servers.

how about "pico /etc/wwwacct.conf" and "pico /etc/resolv.conf"?

i tried it too but it doesnt work for me.Now i am totally confused since i am loosing my clients.

I want to cancel the server from Managed.com is it possible.Will they refund my money back to me.I wrote them letter and waiting what they say.

i tried everything but nothing seems to work.

Also people at managed.com gave me few settings but it even didnt work out.They gave me resolver IP's but it didnt worked for me.

As for cancellation of server they say the money is not refundable.

vijayonline, is the domain name itself set up to be used as a nameserver domain? There is a difference between setting the nameservers on the domain to point to your server and actually registering the name as a nameserver.

So, have you, at your registrar, registered the name as a nameserver domain? If not, you're spinning your wheels.

well i havent used the way you are saying.I wonder why the problem is going on even after they provided me resolver configuration too.

hey do u want me to set anything other than ns1.incript.com & ns2.incript.com