I'm about to get a Reseller account, but...

Hi all,

First of all I would like to say that this is a very valuable website for webhosting and related subjects! I'm glad I found it!

anyhow, I am about to get a reseller account at MatrixReseller, but I am a little worried at the data transfer quota with the particular plan that I am aiming for (40gb transfer)

This is new to me, so I don't know if that will be enough. Right now I already have a few clients, 2 e-commerce site, as well as two PICTURE HOSTING websites, and possibly a Photography enthusiast forum

For those with experience, how much is 40gb transfer? I don't mean how many images etc, I mean, from your experience, how useful is 40gb?

The reason for my concern is, almost all the plans i see out there has 1000gb or more!

I am choosing matrix reseller becuase i feel they are stable, but this is what concerns me right now

any help would be much appreciated!

Indianapolis, IN
    40Gb is a lot of bandwidth its also based on usage in our system. I don't see many users go over 40GB in a month. To be honest we don't have many resellers go over there bandwidth unless they have a LOT of sites under them. I just looked and last month only 10 resellers out of 4,000 resellers and 80,000 domains went over what we give for free..

Oklahoma City, OK
    40GB is a great place to start at for a reseller even 10GB is pretty dang good. You will be able to host a decent amount of sites enough to make a profit plus maybe work up to a dedicated server one day. There is no set amount really to go by, it basically depends on what you will offer potential clients

United States
    As my partner and Vortech (both very knowledgable) put it, 40 GB is quite a lot frankly.

You'd probably be better off to start out with a small plan of about 10 GB at this point, with the option to upgrade to a larger plan. There is no sense really in shelling out that much money for a large plan when you have only a few clients. Most sites really don't use that much, even sites with graphics, etc.

A "Photography enthusiast forum", if it's slightly busy, can chew through that 40GB in no time at all. I have some preliminary computer generated pics of my new home that I'm about to build. I've shared the link with a bunch of folks and in a week we did 30GB transfer. The images were optimised as best I could, but you'd be surprised at how much transfer you'll chew through with pure picture based sites, like a "Photography enthusiast forum".

energie, my advice is to start out on their lowest plan, and then you can always upgrade if you need more resources from your host. Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

thanks guys!

i'll go with the 30gb plan first !

EU - east side
    Well... Good luck with your new host! Let us know how things go in a few months or so. Does that rhyme?

lol Idcdc! Are you a poet now?

energie: I think it all depends on how optimized the photos are (although a photographer doesnt want to sacrifice quality for total optimization) as well as whether he/she has properly done thumbnails. I have seen many sites with graphics use the same 500k/1.5mb pic in a thumbnail by telling the browser to resize the pic in the html code. Makes me wanna cry really, especially when I'm on dialup If you or someone you know has some html experience, you can explain this to your customers. It saves bandwidth, as well as being more user friendly for the visitors of their site. I'm sure they'll appreciate the tip.