Legal issues with graphics

How does anyone do this work? I have made several sites now for small businesses and I don't understand the copyright rules.

I can't make a decent site without taking a bunch of pictures off the web and using them.

How do you guys do it if youre not stealing pictures?

Does everyone just steal?

Should I be concerned about it or is it something that everyone just does?

Thanks

::
    You should be very concerned...At the very least you'll get a 'cease and desist' notice from the copyright owner or their legal firm...at the worst you'll be taken to court and sued. Not pleasant.

I saw someone use one of my images just last week on ebay...I wrote to them (in no uncertain terms) telling them to 'cease and desist'. All they needed to do was ask me and I would have said yes. Courtesy goes a long way...

There are several places you can get good images from at low cost.

How does 50 grab you? ... http://www.istockphoto.com/
    Last edited by EagleImagery; 05-02-2004 at 12:18 PM.
    Logo Design Vector Conversion Print
    eagleimagery.co.uk
    UK Business Labs Forum - The chemistry in B2B

Text is just as much copywrited as is graphics and use of names, the best advice is to treat the web as if your *publishing a book* when you publish something on the net, all the same general rules and laws apply.
    People regularly are getting sued even for such things as publishing defamatory remarks.
    Of course you have to be able to find the person who has published whatever it was that is the offending material first.

Well i think it's just a big issue with big firms LLC and INC. Do not Steal anything from them because you could run into a lot of trouble. The reality is for the most part the small guy isn't going to do anything about it.... but i'm not suggestting you should steal anything...

Originally posted by cfhirolla
    Well i think it's just a big issue with big firms LLC and INC. Do not Steal anything from them because you could run into a lot of trouble. The reality is for the most part the small guy isn't going to do anything about it.... but i'm not suggestting you should steal anything...
    That's like saying "make sure you don't steal from Best Buy because they are a big company. The little general store down on the corner probably wont do anything though".

Stealing is stealing no matter who it is from. I would be concerned if I were you but most of all I would stop that habbit. You weren't very clear as to what kind of graphics you were stealing (photos, backgrounds, patterns, etc) so it is hard to tell where we "get ours from". For photography, there are plenty of sites to go to. www.sxc.hu has free stock images. As posted before istockphoto and some others. Graphics on the other hand, I make myself with photoshop, illustrator, and like programs.

But if people designing websites and are getting the same photos from the same free sites that supply them, some designers might get mad that others are using the same photos and look what could happen. Also what keeps somone from taking some of those free photos and putting a copyright on them? I dunno. Its dumb how people get upset when sometimes, in the first place, the "stolen" data is not theirs and is traced back to many different carriers. I dont know. Am i missing something here?

::
    At the end of the day, it's all about professional integrity...
    Logo Design Vector Conversion Print
    eagleimagery.co.uk
    UK Business Labs Forum - The chemistry in B2B

Also what keeps somone from taking some of those free photos and putting a copyright on them?
    Well, you cannot copyright something you did not create.

You could copyright any portions of the layout you did create, but not the images themselves.

Originally posted by karimm33
    But if people designing websites and are getting the same photos from the same free sites that supply them, some designers might get mad that others are using the same photos and look what could happen. Also what keeps somone from taking some of those free photos and putting a copyright on them? I dunno. Its dumb how people get upset when sometimes, in the first place, the "stolen" data is not theirs and is traced back to many different carriers. I dont know. Am i missing something here?
    The photos have copyright. Copyright != costs money. Also, if you take photos from a stock photo place, of course you will see it somewhere else. Getting mad about that is like getting mad if someone else has the same shoes as you.

Buy rights managed stock photos

EDIT: Alternatively buy a camera
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right
    ██ Shared, Reseller and Dedicated web hosting
    An Easy Web Presence Company

you have to consider and get used to the fact that images are part of the cost of putting up a website. If you or someone you are working with cannot create graphics from scratch, then you will need to purchase them. Otherwise you are stealing.