Cpanel or no Cpanel?

I'm looking at getting a dedicated server at managed.com. Getting one with Cpanel costs an extra $20 a month (the server I'm looking at itself is only $60 per month). I'm wondering if someone could tell me whether its worth it for my needs -

I won't be managing multiple user accounts.

I'll simply be running a website on the server using Apache+Tomcat and PHP using MySql, with multiple domains.

I'm no expert in setting up Linux servers but I do have reasonable experience configuring Apache with Tomcat+PHP and with Mysql.

Any suggestions appreciated.

And one other stupid question - if I am using multiple domains, does this require purchasing additional IPs?

Sounds to me like you could get by easily without a cpanel, If you were setting up a system for mulitple users then a control panel would probalby be necessry for the end user but if it is just you and you are comfortable working in shell you should be fine. You don't need to have a separate IP for each domain, I would at least have 2 IP's though and set your nameservers up on those.
    Freckle Face
    http://frecklefacehosting.com

cpanel is nice because it does alot of updates for you

you really dont have to worrie about it

Don't go with cpanel if you don't need it. It's unstable and a waste of resources.
    To keep up to date, just use your distros prefered method. On debian, its as simple as
    apt-get update && apt-get upgrade.

For multiple domains, you don't need multiple ips. Look at NameVirtualHost and VirtualHost in apache config. Only time you need another ip is if you throwing up multiple https servers since you shouldnt have two certs for the same ip.

Cpanel is good if u have lots of domains and need to setup fast, if not just take the webmin/usermin/virtualmin combination which is free.

Yeah, I Agree with Boonchuan,

You dont sound like you require cPanel to be honest.
    If you do have any issues, just stick on webmin

http://www.webmin.com/intro.html

Regards,
    Thomas Currie
    Europhase UK Limited - XEN/OpenVZ UK/US Virtual Private Servers | R1Soft Backups for Web Hosts
    Custom R1Soft Backups | UK/US Web Hosting | UK/US Virtual Private Servers
    99.9% Uptime SLA | Non Overloaded Service | Guaranteed Ram / Resources
    Company: SC345142 VAT: GB-947754180 Tel: 0870 4710 895

Right. Thanks a lot for all the help. Looks like I don't need CPanel or multiple IPs then .

I'm a big cpanel fan.... but I always liked plesk too.... but never tried this plesk 7.* is making me re-think somethings....wanna I don't know wich cp I would get next

I like cpanel and would recommended. It's a lot easier for beginner webmasters too

H-Sphere is also a very affordable and well-rounded CP for web hosts, but with what you describe needing, you might want to look into CP+, as it is meant for easy configuration of a server for a few domains, and not meant to be used as a shared hosting control panel for end users, it is just a dedicated server management panel.

Originally posted by amish_geek
    H-Sphere is also a very affordable and well-rounded CP for web hosts, but with what you describe needing, you might want to look into CP+, as it is meant for easy configuration of a server for a few domains, and not meant to be used as a shared hosting control panel for end users, it is just a dedicated server management panel.
    Yeah, if you don't know much about Linux servers, don't go with cPanel, you're asking for trouble, since it's poorly written, and you are bound to have to fix it manually, or manually get stuff to work.

I wouldn't go with a CP, I'll just go with Debian or FreeBSD, or maybe get Webmin control panel.
    CloudRck.com - Host on Cloudrck
    Unmetered VPS Solutions at it's finest