what must a customer tolerate ???

maybe a trivial question by a host newbie:

it is not possible to avoid generally access probs, downs, very slow page loading and other striking features etc. at a host.

but

where is the limit which a host provider shouldn´t exceed

btw.

where is the limit a customer shouldn´t tolerate.

VV

Id say that if it is a low cost provider you are with then provided these problems dont occur reguarly and downtime/slowness is no longer then 30 - 45 (99.9%) minutes a month then it would be acceptable.

However, with a higher cost provider I would be looking for these problems to occur extremely rarely. Maybe once or twice a year, any more then that and there would have to be a damn good reson.
    Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    AgilityHosting.net - UK & European cPanel Web Hosting

I would say that if a host had below 98% downtime and couldn't come up with a good reason for it, that'll be the limit...
    New site: www.talkutas.com

Originally posted by freak
    I would say that if a host had below 98% downtime and couldn't come up with a good reason for it, that'll be the limit...

What were you thinking? hehe

Well uptime below 99% or slow downs more than a couple times are the most a host should have...unless there's a very good reason for the problems...and even the 1% taken off should very well be justified.

Ps. There shouldn't be even a single occurance of problem without justification / explanation to the clients. ( If it's in host's knowledge, which it should be )
    Maker of World's BEST Browser & Web site development software.
    Shared / Reseller / Dedicated *Managed* Web hosting on Linux / Windows with 99.5% Uptime Guarantee with SLA & 90 days moneyback guarantee.
    Contact -> AIM: str1997 | ICQ: 303026849

Originally posted by Sash!
    Id say that if it is a low cost provider you are with then provided these problems dont occur reguarly and downtime/slowness is no longer then 30 - 45 (99.9%) minutes a month then it would be acceptable.

However, with a higher cost provider I would be looking for these problems to occur extremely rarely. Maybe once or twice a year, any more then that and there would have to be a damn good reson.
    hmmmmmmmmmmmmm... !!

i am surprised ...

i am speaking for a friend too
    (his english is still more limited than mine).

he is experiencing such striking features as described above
    several times a week if not daily.

and his host provider ( not naming it) had no bad reputation
    til in the last weeks.

VV

Just ask them nicely about the problems.

If they are not able to solve or give reasonable explanations then you might need to start looking for other host...but I highly doubt that though...most problems like that can be easily solved unless you are paying unrealistically low or something ( servers are overloaded etc ).

5:20 am here...off to bed now.

Good night ( already asleep )
    Maker of World's BEST Browser & Web site development software.
    Shared / Reseller / Dedicated *Managed* Web hosting on Linux / Windows with 99.5% Uptime Guarantee with SLA & 90 days moneyback guarantee.
    Contact -> AIM: str1997 | ICQ: 303026849

Normally the uptime is 99,9% - and that is the measure

where is the limit which a host provider shouldn´t exceed
    Impossible to give a real figure... Bad luck is a reality... A hard drive might fail... 48 hours later someone decides to DDOS that same server... one week after that a script runs wild and crashes the server... Is the host really at fault? Hard to tell. Is the host telling the truth about all these? Hard to tell.

As long as this bad luck doesn't keep on happening for a long time (1-2 months or so) with extended downtime (days) I would not move (considering that I've been with them for a while and everything was great).

But if I just signed-up and nothing seems to work properly I'd ask to be moved to another server. If things are the same on the new server I'd change hosts ASAP.

Honestly, unless you control everything from the line from Verio to the servers hosting your website, every host, even one that comes highly recommended, has the potential to let you down.

Just be sure to avoid yearly hosting and have a backup plan if your host is having terrible uptime.
    If the bigger hosts are fancy French restaurants, consider my service the friendly small-town diner.
    HostMidwest.com- you deserve honest, helpful, and reliable service!

Just be sure to avoid yearly hosting and have a backup plan if your host is having terrible uptime.
    Great advice!

---where is the limit a customer shouldn’t tolerate---

I would say a customer should move hosting companies when the problems become so frequent that the customer sees a problem with a hosting company. That “gut” feeling that something is not right… when a customer starts to feel that he/she is dealing with more problems than developing the site.. or the problems are occurring more than what the customer can tolerate.

Some people will put up with more problems than others. Some people ask this question and get answers from people with a mom & pop website or from someone with a business website. The person with the business website will (read: should) demand more uptime and quality, BUT should also pay to have this uptime IMO. Not to say a “family” website is not important, but in my rather limited experience uptime problems can cost business sites more than just downtime (e.g. sales).

It is nice to kick around percentage points... but who really sit around counting them? You ONLY really know the downtime your host either reports or you see for yourself. What if the host also have problems when you are sleep but does not report these problems? Of course you could purchase a monitoring system..

When to move is a point that each person must make on his or her own.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Thumbs up

thanks for all your advices

VV

My last host was a mess. It was down but not "officially" a few times a day...it never showed up on their service status.... and one time their harddrive crashed and they didnt have any external backups for a month and I lost everything from a month prior including hundreds and hundreds of forum posts.

im happy with midphase so far. they do their best with customer service and I have relatively little downtime.

Greetings:

There are times "you get what you pay for" is more true than false.

Quality hosting providers generally have been in business for 5+ years; and do (in general) charge more.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

Originally posted by dynamicnet
    Greetings:

There are times "you get what you pay for" is more true than false.

Quality hosting providers generally have been in business for 5+ years; and do (in general) charge more.

Thank you.
    I dont agree with the statement about 5+ years. I know of many hosting providers who have not been around more then a couple of years who are very good and have a strong reputation. Then, I look at the likes of 1and1 who have been in business for 5+ years and think to myself would I really want to suffer with their lack of customer support and hidden fee's etc??? And then there was Noc24 who fell apart after 6 years.

Yes, in general the longer the host has been around the better. But a good host could start up at any time, and have been established for even a year or two, yet by that statement you would not class them as quality because they never started as early as others?

I totally agree with the "you get what you pay for" statement though. This is important. If someone is charging $1.50 a month for a plan that you would expect to be priced at $5 a month or even more, then the host is obviously cutting corners somewhere. As its hard to cut it with servers nowadays, because of the budget market, the support is usually the part of the service that gets hit. Why people refuse to spend a few dollars or pounds more and get a quality service instead of the ultra low prices and have to move from host to host because either the quality is low or the hosts go out of business is beyond me...

Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    AgilityHosting.net - UK & European cPanel Web Hosting

I would look for quality in a host that meets the following:

* Incorporated -- very few legitimate business', much less successful
    ones are sole proprietorships.

* Reputation -- age isn't really as much of an issue as reputation. Look
    and see what people are saying about the provider.

* Ownership -- do they own hardware? or do they lease it? If you rent
    servers from rackshack or someone similar it is easier to exit the market
    and run than it is if you have tangible assets.

* Office -- do they have an office, not a home office but a real place
    of work? From personal experience, it is MUCH easier to slack off from
    a home office than an actual workplace.

* Integrity -- if they say they have 24/7 service, do they really? Send
    an E-mail to their support@ e-mail address at 5AM on a Saturday night/
    Sunday morning... Do you get an answer?

* Finally, with regards to age, if they are new do they claim to be old?
    I once saw a provider who's domain was three weeks old claiming to have
    200,000 customers (and they had a templatemonster site.)

After a few years of web hosting/web hosting industry or just being a
    customer of various hosts you should have a good "gut feeling" about a
    provider... I know a lot of customers have to put up with answering
    machines and downtime, but there really are dozens of good providers out
    there, many of them members of this forum. Do some research and you should
    make a good choice.

Best wishes,
    ---
    Dan Ushman
    Co-founder & CMO
    SingleHop, Inc.

Originally posted by ldcdc
    Impossible to give a real figure... Bad luck is a reality... A hard drive might fail... 48 hours later someone decides to DDOS that same server... one week after that a script runs wild and crashes the server... Is the host really at fault? Hard to tell. Is the host telling the truth about all these? Hard to tell.
    Yikes, at that point, it might be good for the host to consider finding a new host ...
    http://www.dynamis.net
    A small domain host focusing on personalized service.