paranoid webmin or what

the saga continues...it was 4 weeks now it is 4 months since I have seen a hosting platform that works...shoot me.

I have sites that need attention (perl needs modification) since we moved them to a buddies high speed line; old friend, young student, works for a publisher and hates bush...profile him and if you look up the word paranoid in the dictionary, there's his picture.

I learned apache here (started here with those lessons, thanks choon) and then mail enable and in 4 weeks was hosting from home...worked like a charm...but uh, isp got bent so moved it to a dsl line at friends.

this guy...three login screens to get to the server.

passwords are cryptic and rotate daily...

claims 100 hacks from china per day on ip addy...

i can't get directly to the server but have to go through a pc and vnc in from there.

vnc isn't always up. i email him to get a session.

if i am not super nice, the profanity begins in a heartbeat...he's uh, tempermental...

he's pulled the plug twice in 2 months when I simply asked if there was an easier way to get on, get the job done, get off without using him as a gatekeeper...since he likes to explode if I can't get a session and he's 10 miles away.

so realistically, don't cha just mount the server, put up a firewall and change the passwords once a month or so? max?

or should I be thankful he goes to all this trouble yet since I can't work on the sites (4 months now I haven't gotten any LONG session times without something hosing/crashing/not rebooting etc.) would I be better to find a third party with high speed who wants a free server and space and they handle the stuff at their end? what does co-lo cost? any ideas on this?

would you enshroud your server in so much security your own development team can't work?

that is the question that is really drilling me right now.
    Each One Teach One~eduhosting.org
    Financial Software, Video Production
    Graphic Design, Free PC Labs 4 Kids. Start one in your town. It's a BLAST!

I'm one for security but, that much security is just paranoid.

Look into getting a cheap VPS from a provider like jvds.com. It will serve you better than the box you have now.

Just wondering if he's been burnt before? Sounds like he has.
    Have you Floble'd today?

Originally posted by Knogle
    Just wondering if he's been burnt before? Sounds like he has.
    Regardless of what has happened before, what he's doing sounds insane to me.

I agree with LifelessHost, get a VPS. There's plenty of low-cost, high-quality providers. The cost is well worth whatever time you're wasting working with this loon.

Does he sleep with a loaded gun under his pillow?
    That guy sounds really unstable!

I would recommend moving to another provider

Regards,
    Thomas Currie
    Europhase UK Limited - XEN/OpenVZ UK/US Virtual Private Servers | R1Soft Backups for Web Hosts
    Custom R1Soft Backups | UK/US Web Hosting | UK/US Virtual Private Servers
    99.9% Uptime SLA | Non Overloaded Service | Guaranteed Ram / Resources
    Company: SC345142 VAT: GB-947754180 Tel: 0870 4710 895

sorry, but LOL

if you operating a on-line bank site on your server, go ahead with this guy (and probably request some others techs to protect the server and others to monitor it 24/7)
    otherwise move out

The funny thing is all the goofy stuff he is doing probably doesn't increase the security very much, if at all A hack usually comes in the form of a remote exploit - not often is it someone just guessing a user's password and breaking in through SSH. Wonder if he knows what he is doing or if he is just insane in the brain.
    H4Y Technologies LLC .. Since 2001!!
    "Smarter, Cheaper, Faster" - SMB, Reseller, VPS, Dedicated, Colo hosting done right.

ZERO PACKETLOSS, ZERO DOWNTIME Dedicated and Colo - USA: IA, CA, NC, OR, NV
    **http://h4y.us** **http://iwfhosting.net**
    Voice: (866)435-5642. *** askus at host4yourself d0t com