Thread: what else?

NEWBIE what else do I need?

I think I'm going with ServerMatrix dedicated managed server.

This is my FIRST dedicated so I need some help.

This is what I need:

Anyone know of any managed SeverMatrix specials?

I'm looking at the

- 2.4 GHz Pentium 4
    - 80 GB Drive
    - 512 MB Ram
    - 1200 GB Bandwidth
    - Private VLAN
    - Red Hat, FreeBSD, Windows

1. a shopping cart (oscommerce) or Miva Merchant installed.

2. SSL certificate for one of my ecommerce sites.

3. ability to process credit cards on the ecommerce site (no linking to authorize) need to process on the site itself.

4. Unlimited domains, or 13 ips

5. Cpanel a must

6. Urchin stats

7 front page extensions and php

8. ftp for hosting a PHPBB board

9. Firewall? (do I need one)

10. Any deals on this?

11. 24/7 telephone support....and managed or semi managed server.

12. Any other company I might be missing?

13. Anything else one needs to get installed on a server?

(Right now I'm with ValueWeb on a shared ecoomerce package for my ecommerce site and have all my other sites scattered at different shared hosts. I want to put all my sites on 1 server.)

14. Do I need partioning or anything? Just want the server to act like the shared hosting account with cpanel.

15. P.S. Everyone keeps talking about reboots, why would you have to do that all the time. My stuff is pretty simple and straight forward nothing fancy.

Thanks a million!
    Last edited by FTMS; 05-01-2004 at 06:31 PM.

1.) You have to buy and install yourself.
    2.) You also have to buy and install yourself
    3.) You need a bank account, then get an Authorize.net Merchant account, You need a second server to hold the credit cards info, a custom Billing system.
    4.) You aren't held back with the number of sites you can host. You get 5 free IP's then you have to pay for more.
    5.) cPanel is an extra $20 per month with ServerMatrix and most hosts.
    6.) Urchin stats is free at SM
    7.) You install yourself(cPanel has this option)
    8.) You install(cPanel comes with one, PureFTP)
    9.) Since you want cPanel, you have to get a *nix server, so the firewall is free, and you install yourself http://www.rfxnetworks.com/apf.php
    10.) Not currently, but a Beachcomber has a deal(they are ThePlanet resellers)
    11.) Most if not all Ded. providers offer 24/7 support
    12.) Beachcomber, BurstNET/Nocster, Superbservers, Dinx, ServInt
    13.) CHKROOTKIT & BFD
    You need to manually transfer all accounts via SSH
    14.) All servers have to be partioned, they will do that during the server setup
    15.) I think they are referring to a Remote Reboot port, where the person can Force Reboot the server with out waiting for the host.

For one, I don't suggest you try to process the credit cards your self. Unless you plan to make over $10,000 a month or something, other then that it's no point in wasting your money. Get a paypal, 2checkout or MyPaysystems account like everyone else.

Second, just because cPanel installed, doesn't mean it will do all the work managing the server(it will actually cause more problems). You either need to get a Server Admin, or a higher managed plan at the host you are going with.
    Last edited by cloudrck; 05-01-2004 at 08:12 PM.

account

The credit card account is for one of my clients sites...

It is a Corporate site in business for 35 years and they will EASILY do over $10,000 a month...Some of their products are over $75,000 (and yes people do buy this over the net)

Whats the best way to integrate credit cards, I've started them out with Miva but looking to go to OScommerce..

**Thank you for all the info..I really appreciate this..Keep the ideas coming!

Re: account

Originally posted by Monie8
    The credit card account is for one of my clients sites...

It is a Corporate site in business for 35 years and they will EASILY do over $10,000 a month...Some of their products are over $75,000 (and yes people do buy this over the net)

Whats the best way to integrate credit cards, I've started them out with Miva but looking to go to OScommerce..

**Thank you for all the info..I really appreciate this..Keep the ideas coming!
    Oh, well in that case, the company who needs the account should get the Merchant account. For you to store it, you need to contact Visa, Discover, an ask them how to encypt the data, because I'm not sure, but the fact is, you would need a second server to store the info on.
    ModernBill meets the required encryption type of both Visa and MasterCard, as well as other major credit cards companies. But on a second server.

For the Credit card bit I would suggest you check out CDG Commerce. They can give you what you need for the credit card processing.

thanks

Thanks...I really appreciate all the input as this is my first eccomerce site that uses credit cards out side of PayPal.

This forum is wonderful for learning.

Just throughing in my $0.02. If you plan on running programs utilizing SQL, becareful with Cpanel. I am not to rounded with web development. However, I receantly had an incident where one of my website table locked. Apparently the problem had something to do with Cpanel. I contacted my host, they informed me that all sites were being transfered to Vdeck. Not really sure what either of these are, but I figured I would mention this because it was noted on this post.

Originally posted by mjm1905
    Just throughing in my $0.02. If you plan on running programs utilizing SQL, becareful with Cpanel. I am not to rounded with web development. However, I receantly had an incident where one of my website table locked. Apparently the problem had something to do with Cpanel. I contacted my host, they informed me that all sites were being transfered to Vdeck. Not really sure what either of these are, but I figured I would mention this because it was noted on this post.
    Yeah, that would be my second advice, don't go with cPanel on the server holding the credit cards. You can't depend on cPanel at all, it's a big security hole on your server.

Originally posted by Watcher_TVI
    For the Credit card bit I would suggest you check out CDG Commerce. They can give you what you need for the credit card processing.
    I second that - CDG is top-rate and has been a great asset to us. We looked around for a good, inexpensive processor for a while, and we finally settled on CDG and have no regrets.

-Josh