Thread: space question

space question

since im going to be opening my own webhost reseller soon. for like small time sites about how much diskspace is used? would 100mb disk space and 2gb bandwidth sound reasonable for smaller sites? because my plan is gonna be 1gb ds and 20gb bw.
    3DFXHosting.net
    Affordable, Effective, Reliable Web Hosting Solutions.

thats somewhat reasonable, a little more space would
    Excell Hosting
    Budget Hosting

For how much tho???

i would start with 200MB of space, but then again how are we ever going to compete with midphase's offer?

Re: space question

Originally posted by smdawg33
    would 100mb disk space and 2gb bandwidth sound reasonable for smaller sites?
    I would recomend a little higher bandwidth more like 3 to 5gb somewhere between that.... again it depends on how much you are going to charge for the plan.... and is it a novice plan ???

well i only have 5gb space and 45gb bandwidth. so should i start off with just 1 plan? and as i get more money upgrade my account to more space and bandwidth then offer more plans?
    3DFXHosting.net
    Affordable, Effective, Reliable Web Hosting Solutions.

Nothing wrong with only one plan idea...but generally the companies that got my attention with one plan have a good big one plan that suites all most everybody's needs forexample:

500MB Space
    5GB-10GB Bandwidth

I would recomend three plans
    Novice plan
    100-200MB Space
    3-5GB Bandwidth

Intermediate plan
    200-500MB Space
    4-8GB Bandwidth

Advanced Plan
    500++ Space
    7-10GB

I think you will do good becuase you have a good ratio of space:bandwith

Hope that helps you

Originally posted by kubicle
    how are we ever going to compete with midphase's offer?
    If your target market is to compete directly with midphase then you may want to rethink your business model.

Look locally and try to find a niche that isn't being offered. Don't compete it's not worth it in the end.
    Gary Jones

BlueFur.com - Canada Web Hosting

Originally posted by monster123
    If your target market is to compete directly with midphase then you may want to rethink your business model.

Look locally and try to find a niche that isn't being offered. Don't compete it's not worth it in the end.
    Well said.

-

Business 101.

Find your target audience/market and stick to it, it does pay off in the end.. whether it be 3 month's down the road, or 3 years, trust me.

Let me give you some extra advice:
    What you see on WHT, does not reflect the 'real world' of web hosting.

In a local market, for instance, plans of 50MB disk, and 2GB traffic, can sell for $50 (per month) or more. Again, this is on personal experience. Just because ThrillHost, and others, want to set their sights on budget hosting, does not mean you have to. Don't be a sheep.

There's such a thing as 'value added service'. Sure, a customer paying $5 a month, for more space and bandwidth than they could use in a lifetime is great.. but it isn't going to build your business, and it sure isn't going to build your reputation.

Customer interaction/support, and steady service does not come with a standard price tag. Whatever you value your services at, should reflect your pricing, not what someone else value's their services at.

Simon
    Last edited by IHSL; 05-04-2004 at 03:16 AM.

There are many hosts out there charging more than midphase but still making money.

Midphase isn't the world. Some people prefer to pay for service.
    New site: www.talkutas.com