Question What type of buisness to start?

I was thinking about getting into some form of free hosting of something with ads, or a small hosting provider, something like that, but I don't know what type of services I should be offering. I'm trying to think of something that would be fairly cheap to me and so just using ads I could cover the cost. Profit amount realy doesn't matter so long as it doesn't lose money. I'm trying to think of something that there is not already a lot of people doing. Any ideas?

Also how would you get advertising to put on the site like banners, ect and how would you suggest to advertise your site?
    Loren
    Video and Website Services
    Klingman Design, LLC

It is not easy to make money from free hosting just off of ads.

You have to severely restrict user's abilities to hotlink and be on top of users setting up accounts to send spam.

If you do want to offer free hosting, do it to promote a paid service.

I think it is best that you should get a reseller hosting account which you can start your business from small. I would think that ad is normally not a good way to start with because your site are not seem by many and the fee you pay to have ad done is much more expensive.

The best way to advertise your site would be to participate in this forum more often with a good signature.

Good Luck

It doesn't have to be a freehost it could be a free forum host or counter host something like that.
    Loren
    Video and Website Services
    Klingman Design, LLC

I would say a forum is something easier to work out and has a better marketing potential. At least you don't have to get 24/7 support for a forum. However, just to make sure your forum objective is something unique. If you are planning to have a hosting forum, i would say you can save your effort since there are just too many wannabe with such forums in this market.

Do a market research on what type of forum that is lacking and you are familiar with. Make sure you get a easy-to-remember domain and ensure you monitor your forum all the time.

Good Luck

Maybe you could offer small things like polls, stats etc. The small things that hardly cost you bandwith and serverusage, or stuff like guestbooks, weblogs etc. You could have a little add on the bottom of it, like a text add together with a textadd that says want a .... like this on your website as well?

You need to stand out though, a lot of free tools, a lot of options and tons of stuff to change the layout of them so they will truely fit theire site. Maybe an expension program so that they can pay a small fee a month for adless useage and extra options.

Well it is not impossible
    Look at GalacNet www.galacnet.com
    But well...... you got to make some serious sacrifices.....

Maybe going without food for months ( I AM NOT JOKING!!!)
    Your traffic will not come in fast... You maybe stuck with months of zero profit and maximun expenses......
    Give it maybe 1 or 2 years and it will pick up if you do it right
    -=- GQ Hong -=-
    GalacNet WebMaster

1 or 2 years without profit? Damn galacnet, you got sustaining power if you did that
    "Web Hosting is not just about selling space, it is about facilitating customers needs with your plans and supporting the customer for a long lasting mutually beneficial relationship."- Yaser

We run a free server. It can be very difficult in the beginning because TOO many people want to use your services. But, a combination of limiting access and having automated scripts can make it work.

Yes TOO many people abusing your limited resources

Yaser : Well my definiation of profit is "enough to feeed you and your family" If you do it right you should be able to pay off the bills after a few months
    -=- GQ Hong -=-
    GalacNet WebMaster

Galacnet, you have advertising on your message boards, in this thread http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=268212 webunite is looking for advertising, he's mentioned his budget maybe you or searchXS can help him
    "Web Hosting is not just about selling space, it is about facilitating customers needs with your plans and supporting the customer for a long lasting mutually beneficial relationship."- Yaser

Thanks Yaser. I hope in the near future we would be able to work together
    -=- GQ Hong -=-
    GalacNet WebMaster

My pleasure