Managed.com woes

Well folks, here's my story. I decided to give managed.com a try and I ordered a server on Wednesday at about 6pm. Almost exactly 24 hours later, I got the email saying my server was up and ready to go. So I go in to set things up, and when I go to establish my nameservers, it wouldn't let me assign them to two of the IP's that I was given. So I take a look, and the control panel is showing those IP's belonging to someone else. I try to delete them but I get an error message saying that I cannot delete them because they are still part of an ICANN registrant or some nonsense. I called managed.com but only got answering machines, despite it being during their normal business hours. I called time and time again, until finally I press 2 for tech support and someone said, "Hello?" Naturally, I found this to be a little less than professional, but he further guaranteed me that it wasn't a professional organization. Come to find out, he "doesn't work there." He's "just taking messages until the support guys get back." So at any rate, they are supposed to be moving me to a different bank of IP's as they put it... it is now Saturday and this has yet to be done, they don't answer email or the phone, and I'm sitting there with someone else tying up 2 of my IP addresses. I have let them know that if this wasn't done by Friday, I would be cancelling the server. I guess they don't care.

Re: Managed.com woes

Originally posted by ChrisF79
    Well folks, here's my story. I decided to give managed.com a try and I ordered a server on Wednesday at about 6pm. Almost exactly 24 hours later, I got the email saying my server was up and ready to go. So I go in to set things up, and when I go to establish my nameservers, it wouldn't let me assign them to two of the IP's that I was given. So I take a look, and the control panel is showing those IP's belonging to someone else. I try to delete them but I get an error message saying that I cannot delete them because they are still part of an ICANN registrant or some nonsense. I called managed.com but only got answering machines, despite it being during their normal business hours. I called time and time again, until finally I press 2 for tech support and someone said, "Hello?" Naturally, I found this to be a little less than professional, but he further guaranteed me that it wasn't a professional organization. Come to find out, he "doesn't work there." He's "just taking messages until the support guys get back." So at any rate, they are supposed to be moving me to a different bank of IP's as they put it... it is now Saturday and this has yet to be done, they don't answer email or the phone, and I'm sitting there with someone else tying up 2 of my IP addresses. I have let them know that if this wasn't done by Friday, I would be cancelling the server. I guess they don't care.
    This is a CPanel bug, that's easily fixed. Login to your box from SSH, and type "pico /etc/nameserverips" (without the quotes). Change the nameservers that are in there for each IP address to your own, for instance,
    change "111.222.333.44=ns1.theirserver.com" to "111.222.333.44=ns1.yourdomain.com". Save and close out of the file, and you'll be up and running with your own nameserver IPs.

-Josh

Does Managed.com have their own datacenter?
    How many people do they have working there?

I'm looking to order a server from managed.com on Sunday.
    Toeki Enterprises Co. (Accredited .WS & CentralNIC Registrar)
    We accept PayPal, MoneyBookers, Credit Card, Bank Transfers and Western Union. [AWBS Reseller]
    █Domain Registration http://www.toeki.net / http://www.dots.ws

Originally posted by Toeki

Please do not order from managed.com. Order from servermatrix.

Re: Re: Managed.com woes

Originally posted by Joshua
    This is a CPanel bug, that's easily fixed. Login to your box from SSH, and type "pico /etc/nameserverips" (without the quotes). Change the nameservers that are in there for each IP address to your own, for instance,
    change "111.222.333.44=ns1.theirserver.com" to "111.222.333.44=ns1.yourdomain.com". Save and close out of the file, and you'll be up and running with your own nameserver IPs.

-Josh
    Sounds great. Thanks Josh.

Originally posted by Toeki

Managed.com has space in the old Abovenet datacenter in San Jose (not owned by Abovenet anymore). Their staff consists of a few techs and sales/management/customer service people, but I don't know an exact number (Most likely 5-10 employees - I know that there's Steve, Curtis, Jacques, Keren, and some techs, but I don't have a server there).

-Josh

Re: Re: Re: Managed.com woes

Originally posted by ChrisF79
    Sounds great. Thanks Josh.
    No problem, glad to help as this has happened to quite a few of my clients - CPanel should really put this solution in an FAQ somewhere...

-Josh