What would you do with this client ?

I have a client who is contacting me three times a day to ask what the weather is like. Ok, so far no problem but now she is somewhere outside her home staying at her sister's home or something and she is browsing the web with a library computer. Of course her control panel doesn't work there because the library doesn't allow it (probably because the SSL certificate is not accepted). Second to that her email address does not seem to work either. She can send emails but she doesn't receive my answers.

This means at present the situation is:
    - She can not access the control panel and thinks there is an error
    - She doesn`t receive my emails and is getting more and more angry on me not replying while I try to email her but she doesn't get my answers...
    - She doesn't know that her email address doesn't work
    - She is a total beginner and doesn't know that the control panel doesn't work because the library computer restricts access. She complains because I told her the control panel is available worldwirde. She says if it is available world wide why can`t I access it in the library...

Now since she is living at her sister's home I can not phone her or even send her a postal letter. Such clients are really driving me insane.

What would you do ?

And how long will she be there?
    Anyway do you have a support forum??

If not start one and the place a link on your pages towards that support forum so in case something like this happens you would still have the forum that would communicate with the users
    -=- GQ Hong -=-
    GalacNet WebMaster

Be very nice and and for the pains - do follow up to get a testimonial! She has to admit she got tremenduos personal service

Well I think his problem is that he can't even communicate with her.....
    Any chance that you can call her house and ASK for a family member to contact her and call you back??
    -=- GQ Hong -=-
    GalacNet WebMaster

Originally posted by galacnet
    Well I think his problem is that he can't even communicate with her.....
    Any chance that you can call her house and ASK for a family member to contact her and call you back??
    No, nobody answers the phone. AFAIK she's living alone.

What about a support forum?
    -=- GQ Hong -=-
    GalacNet WebMaster

Yes, I will consider to publish a support forum.

Along a support forum you can have a detailed Knowledgebase/FAQs where you answer basic questions, also mention some special terms that the control panel may not be accessible in places that restrict SSLs and such in your TOS.
    "Web Hosting is not just about selling space, it is about facilitating customers needs with your plans and supporting the customer for a long lasting mutually beneficial relationship."- Yaser

Mostly likely not the right way.. but if you really want to communicate with her (for your own and her good) you could upload a new index.html explaining her the situation.. but i don't know if she'll be happy with that.. but it's the only possible communcation way you have from your side. She can always call you (i guess).

In the future a support forum might be a great idea as mentioned. If iam in school i can't use my cp + webmail as well.

I'd post the new Index page.

This way, the next time she looks as her site, she'll get a clue.

I would think they have provided an email address when they registered with you. So that might be one good way to get in contact with her.

Shouldn't she provide you with contact address as well? Send her a snail mail to her old address. At least you have tried your means of contacting her and you have done your best.

A good lesson learnt for you and me. I would think we should keep updating our clients' contact (esp. you are providing such personal touch customer service).

Regards

How are you getting paid from this person? Does she pay per month, or per year?

You should consider adding a statement to your TOS that requires all customers MUST keep their contact information up-to-date. Not doing so could be grounds for suspension or termination of their account.

The last thing I want to have to do, with everything else I have going on every day, is to have to try and track down a customer because they haven't updated their contact info.

You have definitely gone over and above the norm trying to help her. I hope she is worth it.

-R
    Hosting&COLO.COM -- Toll Free: (888) 473-1831
    Affordable colocation in Los Angeles. Yes, we have Mzima Bandwidth!
    "If you quit before you've given it 100% you will be very disappointed in yourself for the rest of your life."

Yes..... I believe she is from the same country as you?
    Well if the loading of index file, starting a forum still does not get you anywhere.... she should have called your company when things like this happens.... ( I remember bugging my ISP when there was an major lines breakdown almost every single hour to "talk"/scream at them )
    -=- GQ Hong -=-
    GalacNet WebMaster

She would definitely see the index.html idea, perhaps you could post one (until she sees it), telling her to create a new hotmail account or other free account, and e-mail you that way, since her current e-mail isn't working.

arrr... customers like this drive me crazy. I have only one like this but he apologized for being so rude to me. Oh well, it happens. If you drop them; even if in your terms, word will spread about what you did so be kind and tell them what they can do to get things fixed.

I have recently moved to a helpdesk setup for handling e-mail and it is very nice. Would also allow her to reply via a webform.

At some point you need to ask yourself is the extra time you have to spend on her worth what she is paying you?
    Advanced Forum Hosting
    http://www.boardnation.com
    Easily build a community today!

Contact the library where she uses the computer to connect to the internet and ask them to give her a message.
    DBH Web | 2 BUCK HOST | WHT Member Since 2002. | DBH Internet Enterprises.
    LiteSpeed, cPanel, Fully Managed WordPress, CloudLinux, DDoS Protection, Daily Backups,
    RAID 10 Pure SSD, Premium Network, 24/7 Support, 30 Day Money-Back Guarantee.

Over 15 years experience in the Web Hosting Industry.

I had a similar problem with her long ago.
    The problem is because the proxy not allowed using certain port number in using SSL.

I asked my hosting company and they provide me with with unsecure connection (http) that can use in proxy.

If you using cPanel it should be http://www.yourdomain.com:2082 (I assumed you use the secure connection https://www.yourdomain.com:2083).

Maybe you can recommend her goto mypc software which would allow her to access her pc from anywhere in the world hehehe
    "Web Hosting is not just about selling space, it is about facilitating customers needs with your plans and supporting the customer for a long lasting mutually beneficial relationship."- Yaser

Sounds like a client we have he says our billing system is so secure he can't access it. Yet when he requests a password (we receive a cc copy of it) the login works.

He emails us 5-6 times a day and we explain it each time what he must do and yet we still have some sort of communication problem with him.
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!

Originally posted by MN-Robert
    Sounds like a client we have he says our billing system is so secure he can't access it. Yet when he requests a password (we receive a cc copy of it) the login works.

He emails us 5-6 times a day and we explain it each time what he must do and yet we still have some sort of communication problem with him.
    heh. Ya get that.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

We are not in the same country and don't offer phone support but I would still call her if I had her number. She has provided correct contact info but currently is out of her home. Maybe she returns in a month and sees all my emails. Then she will know that it is not my fault... I hope so at least.

Dont sweat it. You've gone above and beyond the call of duty already. You have good karma on your side. And if you end up losing her as a customer after all, look at it this way: You just improved your economy of scale.

whoa doing a bit of dredging there I see lol
    DBH Web | 2 BUCK HOST | WHT Member Since 2002. | DBH Internet Enterprises.
    LiteSpeed, cPanel, Fully Managed WordPress, CloudLinux, DDoS Protection, Daily Backups,
    RAID 10 Pure SSD, Premium Network, 24/7 Support, 30 Day Money-Back Guarantee.

Over 15 years experience in the Web Hosting Industry.

Oops,sorry, I replied to the wrong thread.